"Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?"

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brus
antispam: No

"Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?"

Post by Brus »

Ultra-highbrow humour has become the hottest thing on the internet

I guess I'm not highbrow enough. I don't get the one about the crows.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: "Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?"

Post by Nanohedron »

A flock of crows is called a "murder". Since two crows don't exactly constitute a flock, that is "attempted murder".

Quite a few of those jokes go right over my head, usually the scientific ones. If this is the latest thing in fashionable humor, I am obliged to point out that the ones about the Buddhist monk at the hotdog stand and about Surrealists screwing in a lightbulb are old as dirt.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Brus

Post by Brus »

Nanohedron wrote:A flock of crows is called a "murder". Since two crows don't exactly constitute a flock, that is "attempted murder".
Aha. Got it now.
Quite a few of those jokes go right over my head, usually the scientific ones. If this is the latest thing in fashionable humor, I am obliged to point out that the ones about the Buddhist monk at the hotdog stand and about Surrealists screwing in a lightbulb are old as dirt.
Then there's this one:

http://cauchy.math.ttu.edu/jokes/joke-086.html

If you've ever taken calculus, you'll laugh your ass off. If not, you'll be saying "huh ...?"
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Brus wrote:Then there's this one:

http://cauchy.math.ttu.edu/jokes/joke-086.html

If you've ever taken calculus, you'll laugh your ass off. If not, you'll be saying "huh ...?"
Well, I got something, because I chuckled out loud. Never took calculus, myself (in fact I am one of those for whom God created calculators), but the story is bigger than the math-trappings, which weren't the point (or at least the whole point, me not knowing). This makes it particularly good. It might be intentional that even I could get something out of it, because it's funny enough for me; it's well-written for that if that was part of the purpose. I think the author is a gifted storyteller.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I like those. Pretty good, I thought. I especially like the one about the electron. :lol:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

19. A Roman walks into a bar, holds up two fingers, and says: “Five beers, please.”
Looks over at the German and thinks "he's ordering 50 beers?"
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, good one. :)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I.D.10-t wrote:Looks over at the German and thinks "he's ordering 50 beers?"
It took me 24 hours to finally get that. Very good. :thumbsup:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.