Ordinary Decent Criminal

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ordinary Decent Criminal

Post by mutepointe »

I watched this movie on Netflix last night.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160611/
It's set in Ireland. I have a question that isn't meant to be controversial but I can sure understand if this thread is closed or deleted. If it's closed, a PM would satisfy me.

In the beginning of the movie, Kevin Spacey and his family are living in a large apartment complex and they refuse to leave. They live on the top floor even after wrecking balls wipe out both sides of the building. To get him to leave, the mayor (dressed in some pretty goofy looking finery) offers him and his family the keys to two houses so that they can never be kicked out of their homes again. Here's my big question. They end up living in two very nice houses in a very nice looking neighborhood while receiving public assistance. Is this characteristic of public housing in Ireland or is this fiction? Is it even public housing? What about the mayor's finery?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Ordinary Decent Criminal

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:What about the mayor's finery?
I did an image search on the movie and found nothing about the mayor that I could identify. Other than "goofy", could you be more specific?

After checking with Wikipedia, what I do know now is that the film is loosely based on the famous, and popular, Irish criminal Martin Cahill. I will leave it to the truly knowledgeable to answer your public housing questions. My personal belief is that there's a big chunk o' fiction going on. Thinking of moving?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I'll have to bookmark that movie for future viewing. I realize you're asking about Ireland, yet, here in the US we've been there done that.

Here it is, AND it's still a undeveloped piece of real estate. After all that crappola too. Beware, always beware of...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelo_v._City_of_New_London

http://www.governing.com/columns/eco-en ... ge-in.html

And, there were plenty of empty F,ing suits around too! :swear:

Moreover, the company was/is the number one polluting business in the state to begin with :swear: :swear: and the suits still got what they wanted. The business suits vs. governing/public servant suits. Show me the money!

IMHO, there ought to be a re-make of Johnny Got His Gun aimed at eminent domain and bring in another American Sniper. :poke:
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You'll probably want to watch 'The General', dealing with the same subject matter, as well. While the story was more or less dramatised/fictionalised for the movies , the character they were based on, Martin Cahill, was real enough.

While it's not for me to comment on council houses in Rathmines during the seventies/eighties, 'two very nice houses' would seem overly generous as a description.
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

To clarify further - and I had to look this up - Rathmines at the time was a slum, and the "nice houses" tenements. Despite his wealth, Cahill lived there because it was the only place he felt safe.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I googled "Irish Mayor Vestments". This pic was near the top. The cape and the necklace are close. He had on a business suit underneath.

Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

They do love their "bling" over there.

Check out the Chain of Office.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, I see. Just old-world style official-type vestments. I thought maybe Mutie meant the mayor was personally a sartorial eccentric or something. I mean, I would call this some goofy-looking finery:

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

As an American working in London 30 years ago it was quickly obvious that my upbringing just didn't include enough regalia. Must have gone out of style over here after the phrase "all men are created equal" became all the rage. Although we never did seem to take that too seriously. So we only get to see the regalia trotted out with the annual academic commencement ceremonies and in the rituals of some secret societies.

Love the ghillie brogues on that chap.
Last edited by Feadoggie on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Yes, "regalia" is the word I was looking for.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Nanohedron wrote:Just old-world style official-type vestments.
Yes, and I suppose liturgical vestments are a type of regalia as well. Easily overlooked by me I suppose as being everyday garb in the church.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Feadoggie wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Just old-world style official-type vestments.
Yes, and I suppose liturgical vestments are a type of regalia as well. Easily overlooked by me I suppose as being everyday garb in the church.
Hmm. I always drew a distinction between "regalia" and "vestments" in that a frequent characteristic of regalia is showiness (and regalia are not always clothing, strictly speaking, but can include such things as batons of office and other accessories), but vestments are clothes as such and the word can cover the whole range from showy to austere, and can include regalia. I would call liturgical outfits vestments; rarely would I call them regalia and then only in certain contexts: While I think of the word "regalia" as primarily indicating secular finery, I think the word could be applied to the Papal Crown or a crosier, for example. Native American traditional dancers' costumes are often termed regalia. I don't think I've ever heard a Protestant minister's somber robes referred to as regalia; vestments is the predominantly standard term, so I go with that.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Nanohedron wrote: a frequent characteristic of regalia is showiness (and regalia are not always clothing, strictly speaking, but can include such things as batons of office and other accessories), but vestments are clothes as such and the word can cover the whole range from showy to austere.
Dublin council civic regalia

Mayoral regalia
My brain hurts

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Nanohedron wrote:I don't think I've ever heard a Protestant minister's somber robes referred to as regalia; vestments is the predominantly standard term, so I go with that.
And therein lies the distinction in my mind. The "regalia" of the church was one of the issues brought up by the protestants in the reformation. I do not think a simple cassock or a roman collar would be seen as "regalia" but more as every day clothing of a certain, albeit anachronistic, style. Whereas the showiness of the stole and chasuble worn for the liturgy is sometimes over the top, although much has changed in the last 50 years in the direction of simplicity. The bishop's crook and mitre have to have their continued usage tied to regalia regardless of what the original symbolism of the items may have been - too much shiny metal and jewels.

Anyway, da lord mayor gots himself some serious bling.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Feadoggie wrote:The bishop's crook and mitre have to have their continued usage tied to regalia regardless of what the original symbolism of the items may have been - too much shiny metal and jewels.
Agreed. As it happens, I edited my post above for that distinction while you were posting this unbeknownst to me. :)