Hall of Fame

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Hall of Fame

Post by chas »

I've been off for a couple of weeks, and spent all my time since our Christmas guests left on home improvements. Once I'd listened to all the music I got for Christmas a couple of times, I did the usual and listened to all the music I own by one artist, in order of release date. This time it was the Moody Blues, from the first through Octave. (Oddly, Seventh Sojourn and Octave are the eighth and ninth releases, unless you don't count the one with Denny Laine.) I love their music on so many levels -- they're fine musicians and haven't met a minor key they didn't like. During the formative years they had four lead singers and four main songwriters. Each writer has a unique point of view, but their albums are very cohesive.

And they're not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I was railing at my wife about this today, one of my arguments being, I'm sure Jethro Tull is in the HoF, and if they're in, the Moodies should be in. But JT isn't either. Anyone know what the knock on the Moodies and JT is? Much of their music sounds very dated to me, but that's certainly the case with Donovan, who's a member.

Yes isn't in it, and the knock is that they're too artistic, not "real" rock 'n' roll. OTOH, Grand Funk Railroad isn't in, and if they're not real rock, I don't know what it is. GFR was about the biggest American album seller and concert draw for five years or so in the late-60's and early 70's (along with Creedence Clearwater Revival, a HoF member, and Three Dog Night, not a member).

So Yes is too artistic, GFR is not artistic enough, and it seems to me that the Moodies and JT are smack-dab in between -- both VERY popular for a long period of time, both making quality music. But there must be some knock on them, and I can't figure out what.

Rant mode off.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Hall of Fame

Post by ytliek »

Well everyone mentioned is in MY HoF! I got'em ALL n' play'em all regularly. The Rock HoF is a touristy commercialization undertaking. The masses... the people know who and what was/is good and that's all that matters.

Nights in White Satin... Tuesday Afternoon... :love: