Survey: Pocket Knives

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Choose your weapon:

Swiss Army knife
23%
Traditional pocket knife
23%
Modern pocket knife
15%
Opinel
4%
Leatherman/Multitool
19%
Fixed blade
4%
Other
12%
Knife? You want me to be arrested?
No votes

Total votes: 26

chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Survey: Pocket Knives

Post by chas »

accordionstu wrote:Unfortunately the laws in the UK are such that carrying a knife is illegal now. You may carry a knife with a 3 inch blade but you need to have a very good reason, such as on a fishing trip.
How big a blade can you carry without a very good reason?

In 2002 we got called aside at an airport and held up for half an hour or so because we had a pair of baby scissors in a baby emergency kit. You know, the scissors with blades about an inch long and ROUNDED ENDS? And, of course, we were traveling with a baby. Next time I flew, without a baby, there was a sign at the security line saying that baby scissors were now allowed.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

MTGuru wrote:I know high-carbon steel can generally take a sharper edge, ...
I wonder how true this is today. Back in the 80's hands down, but then back them people called Japanese steel for tools crap and the only knives coming from there seemed to be the stainless Ginsu knives. In the past few decades that view has changed.

"Stainless" steel these days can now hold a higher carbon content and the alloys tested more thoroughly. It can be aesthetically pleasing to put a mustard patina on a carbon steel knife, or just use it as is, and I have used both and in my opinion, but a crap blade is a crap blade and the good ones are so close in ability that I find the performance differences negligible regardless of material.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:It can be aesthetically pleasing to put a mustard patina on a carbon steel knife...
Interesting - first I'd ever heard of the practice. Looks like the sort of thing I'd do:

Looks like you can have some fun with forced patinas.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I.D.10-t wrote:
MTGuru wrote:I know high-carbon steel can generally take a sharper edge, ...
I wonder how true this is today. ... I find the performance differences negligible regardless of material.
That's good to know. The Sandvik stainless of my Opinel does seem plenty sharp, and it holds both its edge and its shine well. My old Camillus carbon steel knife, OTOH, looks like it has the plague because I never cared for it properly in my callow youth.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

My experience with stainless knives dates back to the days when many were being made from the butter knife soft 440A stainless steel. Of course there are many different varieties of stainless, more each day, not to mention the semi-stainless steels now gaining acceptance. Not sure what is being used by Opinel, though I hear the Sandvik is 12C27.

For a good article on different steel types please check this link out: http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml. Note that per this article the 12C27 is acceptable steel for knives if well heat treated, which I'm sure Opinel does.

Please note that at least the last one of the lovely "patinas" that Nano pictured is most likely pattern welded (Damascus) steel. The others may be patterned using a resist, but I wouldn't be surprised if those also were some kind of pattern weld (chainsaw blade perhaps).
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Latticino wrote:Please note that at least the last one of the lovely "patinas" that Nano pictured is most likely pattern welded (Damascus) steel. The others may be patterned using a resist, but I wouldn't be surprised if those also were some kind of pattern weld (chainsaw blade perhaps).
The last certainly looks pattern welded, doesn't it. I believe it was not pattern welded, however, but stands as an extreme example of what can be done when forcing patinas. Be that as it may, the previous two are definitely patina-treated; the middle one is an Opinel, I believe; if it's not, here's a webpage with forced-patina Opinels, so we at least have that cleared away. Apparently folks that pursue the practice of forced patina use all sorts of acid-based treatments: yellow mustard, brown mustard, mayonnaise, steak sauce, tomato ketchup and so on, and you get different intensities and effects from each; people will use combinations of these to achieve multihued effects. Sticking blades in whole lemons or vinegar baths is done for a plainer, unfigured patina. The condiments are used mainly because you can make interesting patterns without a resist. If you look up forced patinas, you can find all sorts of before-and-after pics, and up to now I have only seen plain steel being treated so.

If I had a pattern welded blade and wanted a patina on it for some reason (I can't imagine wanting to gild that lily, though, because to me that would be vandalism; isn't it striking enough already?), I would give it the bath and save my mustard for lunch.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I.D.10-t wrote:I wonder how true this is today.
A bit late, but this is America's Test Kitchen's test and review of several high carbon knives against their favorite Victorinox blade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e50gujs4l-I
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."