Survey: Razors

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Question

Multi-blade cartridge/disposable razor
34%
Double edge safety razor
34%
Straight razor
No votes
Electric razor/trimmer
17%
Sword/machete/axe
3%
Other
No votes
Au naturel (Sasquatch/Yeti/Wookie/Hipster)
10%

Total votes: 29

MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Survey: Razors

Post by MTGuru »

Chuck_Clark wrote:Makes you wonder about the first guy who got a crazy idea about dragging a sharp stone or metal edge across his face.
It's an interesting question. Evidence of shaving goes back to the Paleolithic. But why? I'd conjecture that it has to do with the preparation of animal hides. Multiple someones (polygenesis) discovered they could make skins useful for more purposes by scraping off the hair with whatever edged tool they had handy. Then someone had the bright idea, "Hmm, if it works on aurochs skin, I wonder if it will work on my skin/arm/leg/face. It does!" And given human nature and culture, if a thing can be done, it will be done. Followed by a few million years of us arguing about the fashionable / practical / religious uses of shaving. There's always been strong evolutionary self-pressure on humans toward neoteny, and an attraction to hairlessness can be an aspect of that.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Or possibly, after the thrown rock knocked down the bloke and the tussle ensued someone figured out they didn't like their hair/beard yanked. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I think that once discovered, at least one early reason for the practice of shaving might well have been hygienic: it's a good way to control lice.

I also think that, as MTGuru suggested although not as specifically, this idea could have arisen out of scraping hides (and plucking fowl - if you've ever plucked a pheasant, you know how pest-ridden their plumage can be).
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:I think that once discovered, at least one early reason for the practice of shaving might well have been hygienic: it's a good way to control lice.
Yes, but that has to postdate and predicate the very concept of shaving. In my view, technogenesis is generally less directed and more serendipitous than that.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I think that once discovered, at least one early reason for the practice of shaving might well have been hygienic: it's a good way to control lice.
Yes, but that has to postdate and predicate the very concept of shaving. In my view, technogenesis is generally less directed and more serendipitous than that.
Well, I did say the practice of shaving. But I'd added another supporting thought in my post above. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:Well, I did say the practice of shaving.
Similarly, and from personal experience*, medical intervention could also have played a part. It's harder to treat a wound when it's buried under layers of hair.

* A bad bicycle accident once, when I discovered that my [bearded] chin traveling along a road surface makes a very poor substitute for a wheel. And the only time the whiskers were removed involuntarily, at the hands of a cheerful nurse who seemed a little too eager to depilate me.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

From whence we inevitably proceed to ... art.

Rajasthani camel fanciers have taken it to a serious level:

[ Mod Note: Here's the article: http://www.odditycentral.com/travel/uni ... tival.html ]
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Wanderer wrote:Shaving with a sword :)
Yep. He also demos a hunting knife, machete, and axe IIRC. And there's this guy shaving with a flintknapped obsidian blade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWSTE6WLB0Y

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:And there's this guy shaving with a flintknapped obsidian blade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWSTE6WLB0Y
That is so cool. It don't get any more retro than that. My only beef is that he uses shaving cream, the wuss. If he has to use anything, it ought to be bear grease.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Some cultures that prefer the smooth-as-a-baby's-butt approach have foregone shaving in favor of plucking the individual hairs.

Did any of you ever see the American Idol video of the guy who wanted to do his schtick in his version of drag but on the scale of hairiness came a lot closer to gorilla. When the judges mockingly suggested waxing as a price of another chance, he went out and did it.

eeyyooooouuuuucccccchhhhhhh!
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues