corned beef

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

corned beef

Post by chas »

I wanna give a shout out to Ben, who had a thread a few years ago about making reuben sandwiches from scratch. That motivated me to start corning my own beef. The stuff in the store is too fatty for me, so I start with eye round, which isn't a great cut of meat for most purposes, but makes wonderful, really really lean corned beef. I make it every couple of months. Of course cooking one today, which means corned beef hash tomorrow, with poached eggs made from some eggs I got from a friend the other day.

I've also made sauerkraut with mixed success. I have to find a good stone to hold the cabbage down in the juice -- I'm convinced the times it hasn't come out have been when there's been a stray leaf or two sticking into the air.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
trill

Re: corned beef

Post by trill »

I haven’t tried sauerkraut but I have made Kimchi a few times.

Great fun getting "fizzy veggies" :) .

Corned beef ? Always seems tough. Maybe I’m doing something wrong. . .
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: corned beef

Post by chas »

Just got a kit with fermentation locks, weights, and a masher for making kraut. I'll start tomorrow.

I've tried natural pickles a few times with no success, so I'll try those too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.