Flutes destroyed by customs

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Government violence against Wind Instruments

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

The flute and whistle world was shocked when 11 Bamboo Flutes were massacred by US Border Patrol Agents. Yes, eleven instruments were harmed by government thugs!

The made some claim that the bamboo did not undergo US approved drying procedures. Gee wiz, many bamboo flute makers roast the bamboo to make it stable.

Today you even risk if you take a homemade wood instrument outside the US, when you bring back it could still be destroyed if it doesn't have documentation. They want YOUR PAPERS PLEASE!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01 ... struments/
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flutes destroyed by customs

Post by Dale »

This will make us all sick, so I apologize in advance. Also, sorry if someone has posted this already and I missed it.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/na ... story.html
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Flutes destroyed by customs

Post by MTGuru »

Merged these two topics here. - Mod
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yes, this is a complete travesty. But Daniel, your post seems unnecessarily inflammatory. This seems more a case of not ascribing to (government) malevolence what can be explained by sheer stupidity - and in this case, pitifully poor training, and perhaps, sadly, ethnic prejudice.

The Globe article indicates that "US Customs official [not Border Patrol] at New York’s JFK Airport mistook the instruments for pieces of bamboo and destroyed them." Had they identified the flutes properly, the Customs regulations make it pretty clear that they would have been cleared: "Bamboo furniture, bamboo cloth, and other manufactured products [including, presumably, flutes] made of bamboo do not require fumigation and will be released upon inspection." The issue is a gross misapplication of agricultural safety, not what "YOUR PAPERS PLEASE" implies. Carrying documentation for items being brought in is fairly routine.

Musicians being asked by customs inspectors to play a few notes on an instrument to demonstrate that it's not whatever dastardly thing they may think it is, is common. I've done this myself, and the reaction is usually a smile and you're on your way. Why Mr. Razgui didn't do this and ask to speak to an appropriate supervisor is one of the holes in the story. This can't be the first time he has gone through this procedure. And the detail that the instruments were smashed on the spot in front of his eyes, and not simply confiscated and held for appeal - seems off to me.

In any case, I would hope that musicians organizations would stand behind Mr. Razgui and help him sue the pants off the Customs Service. Whatever mistakes he or the agents made, there's no excuse for misapplication of the law in a way never intended. I learned my recorder skills at the Boston Camerata school, and the pain on reading this piece is visceral. :evil:

Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

MTguru, Sorry just having fun with exaggeration. Been sick all this week, feeling stir crazy.

I hope he gets something back especially in light of their lack of knowing their regulations.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Been sick all this week, feeling stir crazy.
Oh, so sorry to hear that, Daniel. But your New Year can only get better now. How's that for positive thinking? :-)

ggiles

Post by ggiles »

If I recall correctly from the articles that I read .... he wasn't present at the time. His luggage and flutes didn't arrive at his destination with him.
When he inquired about it he was informed of the destruction. He did have dried bamboo with the 11 flutes.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

ggiles wrote:If I recall correctly from the articles that I read .... he wasn't present at the time. His luggage and flutes didn't arrive at his destination with him.
When he inquired about it he was informed of the destruction. He did have dried bamboo with the 11 flutes.
Yes, those details certainly fill in the gaps. Checked luggage, not hand carried. Customs point of entry (NY-JFK) not the final destination (Boston). And the mistake of packing unfinished cane in the very same box as the flutes. A setup for disaster.

Tor

Post by Tor »

My checked luggage seems to not arrive with me very often these days, for some reason. So in each suitcase I leave a big written note on top, for customs. Name, address, address in destination country, phone numbers, and, sometimes, information about content.
The last time I went abroad both suitcases went somewhere else. Both had a note, and arrived the next day. And customs officers stopped me and checked my carry-on bag, which was all I had, except for the instrument I carried. Which they asked me to play.
It's easier to travel if you're simply prepared for everything. I'm not yet prepared for customs confiscating my laptop computer, which I hear is happening more know. I don't have a plan for how to be manage without it. The music and software I have there I have elsewhere too but I need that specific laptop to reach the backup site.. have to plan for that too I guess. Sigh.
In any case my sympathy is with Mr. Razgui. Some musicians are very focused on their music and performance and may not be very good at imagining what kind of mistakes or ignorance customs officers may be up to.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

That is if in fact the items were destroyed. How is that verified? Wouldn't be the first time authority confiscated items eventually appeared for sale somewhere.

Just saying.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Glad I have a Delrin whistle for travel... :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!