junk or a ok starter

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Whistling Archer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

junk or a ok starter

Post by Whistling Archer »

http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Re: junk or a ok starter

Post by Feadoggie »

Looks like one of Mid-East's bodhrans. They are the purveyors/importers of many of the much discussed eBay flutes. I had a go on one just like it at a festival recently. While that model is better than much of what Mid East sells, I'd suggest skipping it. I won't go into all the reasons why I think that. Price is high, IMO, given the "quality". You can learn as much using an empty pizza box for a drum.

You'd be better off spending a bit more on a decent drum from a well known maker.

Or... You're a crafty guy. Why not make one. It's not too hard once you've gotten hold of the goat (skin). :) Google is your friend.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Whistling Archer

Thanks Feadoggie, Ive considered making one, Ive got 2 oak rims Ive bent in the garage, but they are 11&12, I know I need bigger,, rim bending isn't too bad if you have a steamer{I do } and a form, Id need to make a larger form, for a bodhran .

what size width & depth do you suggest?

thanks
Steve

anybody ever need decent skins at decent price blackbearhaversack ,, is the place
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Whistling Archer.

I would disagree with Feadoggie in as much as the drum is tuneable, the skin is from the back of the goat, so it is not junk. As a starter it should be ok, as long as the price doesn't go up much.

If you do get it, use the tippers provided as paperweights and get a decent one. (Canvas your fiddler friends and see if they have a broken bow, and make one from that).

If you go the making route, a drum 14-15 inches wide with a deep rim - 5 inches minimum would be my suggestion.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Whistling Archer wrote:Ive got 2 oak rims Ive bent in the garage, but they are 11&12, I know I need bigger,
Ha! I thought you might be a candidate for making one. :) BE sure to make it tunable.

There is more variation in drums these days then ever. I started beating the goat about twenty years ago. Fashions and designs have changed a bit over that period. The head size, the body depth and the skin thickness/elasticity all contribute to the results. My first drum was an 18 inch drum about four inches deep. That was fairly normal back then. I have played a 16 inch drum about six inches or so deep for the last 12 years. Fairly normal for 200-2001. It has a fairly thick head and it produces a lot of thump. My next drum will probably be a fourteen inch drum with a deeper rim, and a thinner but well dampened (not wet) skin. More current drums might be as small as 12 inches and 8-10 inches deep. Look at what well regarded makers are offering then see what you think. Consider whether you want to play with a double-end or single-end stick technique. The smaller heads are not as friendly to a double-end stick style as the larger heads, IMO. Lots of ways to do it.

Albert Alfonso http://www.albertalfonso.com/Drums.html

Seamus O'Kane http://www.tradcentre.com/seamus/

And a decent survey of many makers: http://www.sixwatergrog.com/2011/11/cus ... hrans.html

Feadoggie
Whistling Archer

thanks both of you, Me & wife are having fun with our little whistle duos, I thought Id try to learn the bodhran and sneak it in,,, then maybe she can "beat the goat" as you say for me. Im 52 & shes 43 , no kids at house, time to enjoy our semi golden years.
thanks
Steve
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Feadoggie

If you are going thin skin, consider using kangaroo hide.

David
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

BigDavy wrote:If you are going thin skin, consider using kangaroo hide.
Yep, that's what I was thinking. Thanks for the suggestion BigDavy.

Feadoggie
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

No problems Feadoggie.

I got a second hand Metloef drum on ebay about 6 years or so back (It appears that it was Rob's own drum originally). It had a kangaroo head and played in lovely, so I am a convert to kangaroo. So much so that I ordered another custom drum from Rob Forkner (a 14x12 oval drum with a Tasmanian roo head) which is now my main drum.

Ivory Session - this is the original Metloef being played.

David
Cayden
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Feadoggie wrote:
BigDavy wrote:If you are going thin skin, consider using kangaroo hide.
Yep, that's what I was thinking. Thanks for the suggestion BigDavy.

Feadoggie

Feadoggie,
The "roo" will put more jump in your thump! :lol:

Happy Thanksgiving Mate,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
ggiles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ggiles »

If you got the equipment and know how make it yourself. If not find a maker such as those listed all ready.

The bodhran book author, Steafan is currently selling Hedwitschak Drums and plays them.

http://www.bodhranmaker.de/

Very expensive but a good source of inspiration for someone wanting to make one.