More TED

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: More TED

Post by Tunborough »

Andrew Solomon: Depression, the secret we share

"The opposite of depression is not happiness, but vitality, and it was vitality that seemed to seep away from me in that moment." In a talk equal parts eloquent and devastating, writer Andrew Solomon takes you to the darkest corners of his mind during the years he battled depression. That led him to an eye-opening journey across the world to interview others with depression -- only to discover that, to his surprise, the more he talked, the more people wanted to tell their own stories.

Andrew Solomon is a writer on politics, culture and psychology.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

I haven't forgotten about this thread. There hasn't been much lately that I thought would have general appeal, but here's one that did get my attention ...

Ash Beckham: We're all hiding something. Let's find the courage to open up

In this touching talk, Ash Beckham offers a fresh approach to empathy and openness. It starts with understanding that everyone, at some point in their life, has experienced hardship. The only way out, says Beckham, is to open the door and step out of your closet.

Ash Beckham approaches hard conversations from a place of compassion and empathy.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

The talks that catch my interest are more likely those that offer a new way to look at our lives, not so much those that talk about a new invention. Although this one talks about a new invention, I think it's important because of the scale of its impact ... it could improve the lives of about a billion people ... and because it comes out of a new way of looking at a problem.

Manu Prakash: A 50-cent microscope that folds like origami

Perhaps you’ve punched out a paper doll or folded an origami swan? TED Fellow Manu Prakash and his team have created a microscope made of paper that's just as easy to fold and use. A sparkling demo that shows how this invention could revolutionize healthcare in developing countries … and turn almost anything into a fun, hands-on science experiment.

Manu Prakash is a bioengineer on a mission to bring radical new technology to global health.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Anne-Marie Slaughter: Can we all "have it all"?

Public policy expert Anne-Marie Slaughter made waves with her 2012 article, "Why women still can't have it all." But really, is this only a question for women? Here Slaughter expands her ideas and explains why shifts in work culture, public policy and social mores can lead to more equality -- for men, women, all of us.

Anne-Marie Slaughter has exploded the conversation around women’s work-life balance.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

I recently attended a streaming event for Ted 2014 in Vancouver. One day of the conference is streamed live. My favorites include Marc Kushner talking about the recent trends in architecture and a city planner, Amanda Burden from New York City talking about parks and more parks. These will likely go up on the Ted site or on Youtube in a few days or weeks.
nursefroggy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by nursefroggy »

This isn't a TED talk, but could well be presented as a humorous scientific spoof on TED.
Hope you get a giggle from this: http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

I had a couple of friends, who obviously forgot first year science, going on this for a week. When they twigged on to it, they were eager to pull the prank on others.

Have some harmless fun! [I only like pranks that don't cause any harm or insult to others :-)].

Nurse Froggie
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Here's one from several years ago. I just finished reading the book, and thought the book was excellent.

Steven Johnson: Where good ideas come from

People often credit their ideas to individual "Eureka!" moments. But Steven Johnson shows how history tells a different story. His fascinating tour takes us from the "liquid networks" of London's coffee houses to Charles Darwin's long, slow hunch to today's high-velocity web.

Steven Berlin Johnson examines the intersection of science, technology and personal experience.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

I've been waiting for this one to get posted ...

Ziauddin Yousafzai: My daughter, Malala

Pakistani educator Ziauddin Yousafzai reminds the world of a simple truth that many don’t want to hear: Women and men deserve equal opportunities for education, autonomy, an independent identity. He tells stories from his own life and the life of his daughter, Malala, who was shot by the Taliban in 2012 simply for daring to go to school. "Why is my daughter so strong?” Yousafzai asks. “Because I didn’t clip her wings."

Despite an attack on his daughter Malala in 2012, Ziauddin Yousafzai continues his fight to educate children in the developing world.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Chris Hadfield: What I learned from going blind in space

There's an astronaut saying: In space, “there is no problem so bad that you can’t make it worse.” So how do you deal with the complexity, the sheer pressure, of dealing with dangerous and scary situations? Retired colonel Chris Hadfield paints a vivid portrait of how to be prepared for the worst in space (and life) -- and it starts with walking into a spider’s web. Watch for a special space-y performance.

Tweeting (and covering Bowie) from the International Space Station last year, Colonel Chris Hadfield reminded the world how much we love space.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Allan Adams: The discovery that could rewrite physics

On March 17, 2014, a group of physicists announced a thrilling discovery: the “smoking gun” data for the idea of an inflationary universe, a clue to the Big Bang. For non-physicists, what does it mean? TED asked Allan Adams to briefly explain the results, in this improvised talk illustrated by Randall Munroe of xkcd.

Allan Adams is a theoretical physicist working at the intersection of fluid dynamics, quantum field theory and string theory.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Another talk from Elizabeth Gilbert, perhaps not quite as amazing as her talk in 2009, but close enough for me...

Elizabeth Gilbert: Success, failure and the drive to keep creating

Elizabeth Gilbert was once an "unpublished diner waitress," devastated by rejection letters. And yet, in the wake of the success of 'Eat, Pray, Love,' she found herself identifying strongly with her former self. With beautiful insight, Gilbert reflects on why success can be as disorienting as failure and offers a simple -- though hard -- way to carry on, regardless of outcomes.

The author of 'Eat, Pray, Love,' Elizabeth Gilbert has thought long and hard about some big topics. Her fascinations: genius, creativity and how we get in our own way when it comes to both.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

A bit of autobiography from the man who designed my favourite sans serif font ...

Matthew Carter: My life in typefaces

Pick up a book, magazine or screen, and more than likely you'll come across some typography designed by Matthew Carter. In this charming talk, the man behind typefaces such as Verdana, Georgia and Bell Centennial (designed just for phone books -- remember them?), takes us on a spin through a career focused on the very last pixel of each letter of a font.

Even if you don’t recognize his name, chances are you’ve seen Matthew Carter’s work -- his type designs include some of the world’s most familiar digital typefaces.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Andrew Solomon: How the worst moments in our lives make us who we are

Writer Andrew Solomon has spent his career telling stories of the hardships of others. Now he turns inward, bringing us into a childhood of adversity, while also spinning tales of the courageous people he's met in the years since. In a moving, heartfelt and at times downright funny talk, Solomon gives a powerful call to action to forge meaning from our biggest struggles.

Andrew Solomon is a writer on politics, culture and psychology.
Last edited by Tunborough on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

TED is a damn good resource.

But one can get TED-BURN.

If you try to completely digest that stuff, you lose the assumptions that form your identity.

That sounds good on paper, but it's like a kind of acquired schizophrenia.

There is good work showing that marijuana can also do this to you.

All the stuff on depression is great, Brene Brown is particularly good in relation to the shame/guilt dimentions .. but this all tends to turn one onto a path of introspection.

And in all of history, no turning point was ever based on truth or sanity.

We cast before us a path to madness .. sure .. seek the "truth"

But don't kid yourself that any human can contain it .. as finite nodes in an infinite universe .. it's physically impossible.

If you go to TED for entertainment .. well that's the E part of TED - you have been warned.

Entertainment is what you do when you can't bear to live in your own skin. .. it's an addiction.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

A very poised talk about a very emotional subject ...

Kevin Briggs: The bridge between suicide and life

For many years Sergeant Kevin Briggs had a dark, unusual, at times strangely rewarding job: He patrolled the southern end of San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge, a popular site for suicide attempts. In a sobering, deeply personal talk Briggs shares stories from those he’s spoken — and listened — to standing on the edge of life. He gives a powerful piece of advice to those with loved ones who might be contemplating suicide.

As a member of the California Highway Patrol with assignments including patrolling the Golden Gate Bridge, Sergeant Kevin Briggs and his staff are the last barriers between would-be suicides and the plunge to near-certain death.