More TED

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: More TED

Post by Tunborough »

Wasn't hard to pick this one ...

Ruth Chang: How to make hard choices

Here's a talk that could literally change your life. Which career should I pursue? Should I break up — or get married?! Where should I live? Big decisions like these can be agonizingly difficult. But that's because we think about them the wrong way, says philosopher Ruth Chang. She offers a powerful new framework for shaping who we truly are.

Ruth Chang asks why some choices are so hard — and what that means for the human condition.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Shaka Senghor: Why your worst deeds don’t define you

In 1991, Shaka Senghor shot and killed a man. He was, he says, "a drug dealer with a quick temper, and a semi-automatic pistol." Jailed for second degree murder, that could very well have been the end of the story. But it wasn't. Instead, it was the beginning of a years-long journey to redemption, one with humbling and sobering lessons for us all.

Using literature as a lifeline, Shaka Senghor escaped a cycle of prison and desperation. Now his story kindles hope in those who have little.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Suitable for computer geeks like me, and those who want to know what not to use for a password ...

Lorrie Faith Cranor: What’s wrong with your pa$$w0rd?

Lorrie Faith Cranor studied thousands of real passwords to figure out the surprising, very common mistakes that users — and secured sites — make to compromise security. And how, you may ask, did she study thousands of real passwords without compromising the security of any users? That's a story in itself. It's secret data worth knowing, especially if your password is 123456 ...

At Carnegie Mellon University, Lorrie Faith Cranor studies online privacy, usable security, phishing, spam and other research around keeping us safe online.
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Watch out for TED.

Recently I got a whole lot of "likes" on my posts there.
The authors of those "likes" were all non-humans.

TED is advancing an agenda - if you keep that in mind then you can have TED as a resource - if you fail to keep that in mind you will be a resource for TED .. and that's OK if you are happy to be a hive-human .. but this hive is contrived - and the user is not you.

Happy TEDing!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Zak Ebrahim: I am the son of a terrorist. Here's how I chose peace.

If you’re raised on dogma and hate, can you choose a different path? Zak Ebrahim was just seven years old when his father helped plan the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. His story is shocking, powerful and, ultimately, inspiring.

Zak Ebrahim, peace activist:
Groomed for terror, Zak Ebrahim chose a different life. The author of The Terrorist's Son, he hopes his story will inspire others to reject a path of violence.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

A short talk, with deep truth in it.

Matthew O'Reilly: "Am I dying?" The honest answer.

Matthew O’Reilly is a veteran emergency medical technician on Long Island, New York. In this talk, O’Reilly describes what happens next when a gravely hurt patient asks him: “Am I going to die?”
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

"He said, 'I wanted to meet you. I wanted to see what a crazy person looked like.'"

Kimberley Motley: How I defend the rule of law

Every human deserves protection under their country’s laws -- even when that law is forgotten or ignored. Sharing three cases from her international legal practice, Kimberley Motley, an American litigator practicing in Afghanistan and elsewhere, shows how a country’s own laws can bring both justice and "justness": using the law for its intended purpose, to protect.

Kimberley Motley, international litigator: American lawyer Kimberley Motley is the only Western litigator in Afghanistan's courts; as her practice expands to other countries, she thinks deeply about how to build the capacity of rule of law globally.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Three and a half minutes of visual poetry ...

Frans Lanting: Photos that give voice to the animal kingdom

Nature photographer Frans Lanting uses vibrant images to take us deep into the animal world. In this short, visual talk he calls for us to reconnect with other earthly creatures, and to shed the metaphorical skins that separate us from each other.

Frans Lanting is one of the greatest nature photographers of our time. His work has been featured in National Geographic, Audubon and Time, as well as numerous award-winning books. Lanting's recent exhibition, The LIFE Project, offers a lyrical interpretation of the history of life on Earth.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

I don't want anyone to know that I watched this one ...

Glenn Greenwald: Why privacy matters

Glenn Greenwald was one of the first reporters to see — and write about — the Edward Snowden files, with their revelations about the United States' extensive surveillance of private citizens. In this searing talk, Greenwald makes the case for why you need to care about privacy, even if you’re "not doing anything you need to hide."

Glenn Greenwald is the journalist who has done the most to expose and explain the Edward Snowden files.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

--- Thread revival ---

Yes, it's been a while since I updated this thread. I haven't had much time to watch videos, and haven't seen too many that looked really gripping. This one, though, I wanted to share with you ...

Sophie Scott: Why we laugh

Did you know that you're 30 times more likely to laugh if you're with somebody else than if you're alone? Cognitive neuroscientist Sophie Scott shares this and other surprising facts about laughter in this fast-paced, action-packed and, yes, hilarious dash through the science of the topic.

Sophie Scott, neuroscientist and stand-up comic: While exploring the neuroscience of speech and vocal behavior, Sophie Scott stumbled upon a surprising second vocation: making audiences laugh as a stand-up comic.