racetrack circumnavigation yacht race to Galway City

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
christelrice
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

racetrack circumnavigation yacht race to Galway City

Post by christelrice »

dwest

Re: racetrack circumnavigation yacht race to Galway City

Post by dwest »

I see it ends June 30th. Won't most everybody be at the start of the Tour in Liège that day? :wink:
christelrice

Post by christelrice »

It will be the end of the race, but just the beginning of a 9 day festival in Galway City, and not to be missed!
Over 650,000 people celebrated the arrival of the crews in 2008-2009, with 10,000 people anxiously awaiting at the seawall during the hours of 3am on 24 May 2009 to welcome the fleet into Ireland. :wink:

Any other sailors out there? I am curious, really.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

I like to sail, but haven't owned a hole in the water for a long time.
Your boat is very nice, and if I were to get another it would be about that size.
Generally speaking I'm a fan of most any boat that is traditional, dories, skiffs, sharpies, ect.

My buddy owned the Wanderer II and I used to go out on day sails with him often.
The internationally famous Jack Laurent Giles was just getting started as a yacht designer when Eric approached him to build Wanderer II. Giles had under construction then the first of his famous Vertue line of fast, seaworthy 25-footers which have since sailed all the oceans of the world in safety. Hiscock could not afford a boat this big, so Giles reduced the model to fit his pocketbook. The result was a fast and handy little sloop of 21-foot waterline and 7-foot beam. In her, Hiscock cruised extensively in channel and European waters. Then, when he and Susan were married, they made a honeymoon cruise to the Azores and back along the coast of Spain and France. Wanderer II, even though it did not have an engine, was a proper yacht, and gave the couple some of their most nostalgic sailing experiences. It also taught them to be expert sailors under all conditions.

http://www.bluemoment.com/hiscocks.html

"Tahiti Bill" bought the same boat and made it famous by cruising it to the the South Pacific.
HOWELL, William, White Cliffs to Coral Reefs (London: Odhams, 1957).
The often ribald narrative of that irrepressible seagoing dentist, "Tahiti Bill"
Howell, on his first bluewater voyage in the Hiscocks' old Wanderer II.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

christelrice wrote:Any other sailors out there? I am curious, really.
look over to your left... see me?
also, see Mutepointe's thread: What do you like best about where you live?
ytliek wrote:been around a bit,
brewerpaul wrote:
emmline wrote:Other people like the water. It's nice and all, but I don't have a boat.
That's one of the many things I like about where I live. We're right near the confluence (love that word) of the Hudson and Mohawk rivers which offer many great flatwater paddles.
yeah, I live "in" the confluence of life and death... that existential stuff, womb-to-tomb, craddle-to-grave, but, happily close to water, Long Island Sound

boating anyone? http://www.thewoodenboatshow.com/
June 30th... I'll be in Mystic http://www.thewoodenboatshow.com/ with all that wood'n stuff
christelrice

Post by christelrice »

maki wrote:I like to sail, but haven't owned a hole in the water for a long time.
Your boat is very nice, and if I were to get another it would be about that size.
Generally speaking I'm a fan of most any boat that is traditional, dories, skiffs, sharpies, ect.
Wanderer II is one nice sloop, I would LOVE to sail one of them. We have a 22' O'Day, perfect for the day and weekend sails. We can take her into the Atlantic and sometimes we take a night cruise here on Jamaica Bay in Brooklyn and watch the bioluminescence being emitted from squid and other vertebrates or invertebrates as they get caught up in the rudder. Jamaica Bay is also a huge hub for migratory birds, so you can imagine the sounds at night...
christelrice

Post by christelrice »

June 30th... I'll be in Mystic http://www.thewoodenboatshow.com/ with all that wood'n stuff
Nice, you sail then?
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

ytliek wrote:June 30th... I'll be in Mystic http://www.thewoodenboatshow.com/ with all that wood'n stuff
christelrice wrote:Nice, you sail then?
I used to sail a lot until health problems became priority :( I still enjoy the smallboats when I can and I have to make time for that pennywhistle. :) Time and priorities... :o

( :) note: CR when you're quoting someone, beginning has bracketquote= "with username", and then at the endofquote use just bracketslashendquotebracket... I just learned how to do that here on C&F recently, thanks to the chiffers... just look at how it appears (when you open a quote as it doesn't show after submission) next is adding an image :)
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I have two canoes. That's practically a flotilla.

You must have great fun on your yacht.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

christelrice wrote:Wanderer II is one nice sloop, I would LOVE to sail one of them. We have a 22' O'Day, perfect for the day and weekend sails. We can take her into the Atlantic and sometimes we take a night cruise here on Jamaica Bay in Brooklyn and watch the bioluminescence being emitted from squid and other vertebrates or invertebrates as they get caught up in the rudder. Jamaica Bay is also a huge hub for migratory birds, so you can imagine the sounds at night...
Well the 22' O'Day is a mighty fine sailboat.(O'Day is and Irish sir name, so how can you go wrong.)
But like they say, 'What's the best boat?" The one you're on!
I can't hardly get near the Ocean without a fools grin on my face.
ytliek wrote:
Be real careful at the Wooden Boat Show, its like a cocaine convention for crack heads.
(I got the shakes just thinkin about it.)
Last edited by maki on Mon May 21, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

mutepointe wrote:I have two canoes.
...an' I'd bet that neither are in the water :wink:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

The Captain is on shore leave.
白飞梦
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

mutepointe wrote:You must have great fun on your yacht.
and Christel, don't even mention yacht island design around these people... theybedreamin'

pennywhistle is it
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

My canoes are in the same vein as the Kennedys call their place on Martha's Vineyard, "The Cottage".

Image[/quote]
白飞梦
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

mutepointe wrote:My canoes are in the same vein as the Kennedys call their place on Martha's Vineyard, "The Cottage".

well, here's the "one that got away" http://knockaboutsloops.blogspot.com/ and in particular http://knockaboutsloops.blogspot.com/20 ... -sail.html 'cause she was here on the east coast and ended up over there, up there, in that pacific northwest somewhere... Fisherman's Bay
http://www.co.san-juan.wa.us/health/wtr ... erman.html

everything starts on the eastcoast and flows west :tomato: