Made the Switch

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mukade
antispam: No

Made the Switch

Post by mukade »

I have been a PC user for all these years.
One of my first ever jobs after university was the installation and support of Windows 95 on a large network. I have built my own PC rigs since I moved to Japan in 1996, and I would consider myself an advanced Windows user. I was even Microsoft certified back in the 90s.

I have always thought that Macs were overpriced and overrated...

but

Late last year I was able to get a Mac Mini (One of the 2007 intel models) for a very good price, so I decided to give Mac Os a run through. I attached the Mini to my big screen TV and used it for web browsing/emails etc. I found myself starting to do work on the mini and getting more and more into OSX.

A couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and bought a 21.5 inch Imac. It has now become my main work tool and I now realise why so many people have turned to Mac over the years. It is just easy to get things done with the minimum of fuss. I have been using my iPod touch for my schedule and contacts over the past few months, and that integrates with Mac Os very nicely.

The Mac/PC debate with continue forever.
I still have a Windows desktop and a Linux netbook, but put me down as well and truly switched.

Overpriced? Maybe.
Overrated? I am never ashamed to admit I was wrong.

Mukade@iMac & loving chiclet keyboardings and Magic Mouseness
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
rhulsey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Made the Switch

Post by rhulsey »

Congratulations!

I've been a Mac user since my first one, an SE with the optional and HUGE 40MB HDD I bought in 1988.

In the past few years, as friends' PC's have needed replacing, I've offered all the help they want if they switch to a Mac. Several have, some being die-hard PC users, too. Not a one would go back to Windows.

Not worth debating - it's like chocolate and vanilla - there is something for everyone.

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

It's easier if it isn't something that Steve Jobs thinks you shouldn't want to do. If it is, it's close to impossible.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

s1m0n wrote:It's easier if it isn't something that Steve Jobs thinks you shouldn't want to do. If it is, it's close to impossible.
Right. Until you find the Unix command line.
/Bloomfield
dwest

Post by dwest »

Mac, that's like an Apple II right.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Yes. But will I ever want an iPad? The girl in front of me in Japanese class today--yeah...the one who wears a trenchcoat and goes by the name of Bouzu, which basically means "Buddhist Priest"--had a cute little white netbook. I am so wanting something small and portable (I know, that's what laptops are supposed to be for but, honestly, long haul they're a little clunky to carry around.)
Last edited by emmline on Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

The only thing I really don't like about my mac is it can be slow. Pre-OSX they were so fast.

Over the last 15 years or so I've watched as my BF has had to replace Windows computer after Windows computer. He's been infected with viruses more times than I can count. He lost a lot of money recently due to cyber crime.

Meanwhile, over those same 15 years, every time I've bought a new mac it has shamefully been because I just wanted a new one, not because the old one wasn't working.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Bloomfield wrote:
s1m0n wrote:It's easier if it isn't something that Steve Jobs thinks you shouldn't want to do. If it is, it's close to impossible.
Right. Until you find the Unix command line.
Exactly. I never understood that complaint.
You can do bloody well anything with the
command line, and there are several ways
to do each thing. Anytime you use a GUI
you are limited to a certain way of doing
things (and this goes for Windows, too).