The Beautiful Game

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mukade
antispam: No

The Beautiful Game

Post by mukade »

I don't remember there being a decent football thread on this forum.
The new season has started and a great start to the Premier League - no draws so far.

So, time to declare you allegiances whatever the country or league - limited to football (or soccer as some people call it).

Sunderland for me.
We had a ropey season last year, but a new manager, new money and several new signings mean that we should be looking towards a better time this year.

Oh, did you know Newcastle were relegated last year? :poke:

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
dwest

Re: The Beautiful Game

Post by dwest »

I have to go with LiverpoolFC, Wisconsin's #3 footbal team after the Packers and the Badgers, they even wear UW colours, how neat is that?

gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

How utterly cool. There are only about six people in the entire U.S. who watch professional soccer, and we have one of them right here.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
dwest

Post by dwest »

gonzo914 wrote:How utterly cool. There are only about six people in the entire U.S. who watch professional soccer, and we have one of them right here.
Hey, I don't watch it at all, nor American football, now bicycle polo, that's a sport or intercity bicycle archery biathlon.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Washington Freedom, although I wish Mia Hamm was still playing.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I'm proud to have been a Gooner since the days of Frank McLintock and Charlie George. :pint:
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

mukade wrote:I don't remember there being a decent football thread on this forum.
This is because this forum is populated mostly by Americans, who adore a bat-and-ball game that is played elsewhere in the world, if at all, only by pre-pubescent schoolgirls in short skirts and another game in which grown men wearing ludicrous padding spend most of the time beating each other up (when they're not standing around aimlessly, that is) after someone has thrown a misshapen ball along a line of the padded men. The best bit of the latter game is the raucous nonsense on the touchline perpetrated by oddly-dressed females jumping up and down in rehearsed unison, chanting as they go. At least they have nice legs to distract attention from the farce being played out on the pitch.

So to your question. Until this season, the only team for me was Liverpool FC - the aggressive vitality of Gerrard, the tireless workmanship of Kuyt, the coltish elegance of Torres, Mascherano the midfield general... I can't help feeling that selling Alonso was a bad idea, but not quite as bad an idea as Man U selling Ronaldo. But this season the team of my boyhood, Burnley, are back in the top flight and they have already humiliated Man U! Who could forget those glory days in the early 60s when Burnley won the League with a team costing £9,000! The magic of the great Jimmy McIlroy - was there ever a player who better graced the beautiful game! That was the era of Matthews, Lofthouse and the "Preston Plumber," Tom Finney, still regarded by many as the greatest player of all (though personally I think Pele and Maradona should be in the reckoning :D )

I shall be rooting for Liverpool for the title race and, of course, the Champions League, and just willing Burnley to survive then build...
Last edited by SteveShaw on Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

gonzo914 wrote: There are only about six people in the entire U.S. who watch professional soccer.
I suppose you have absolutely no idea how much this little factoid explains to the rest of us what is wrong with the USA...
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
mukade

Post by mukade »

SteveShaw wrote:
mukade wrote: I shall be rooting for Liverpool for the title race and, of course, the Champions League, and just willing Burnley to survive then build...
My 2nd cousin plays for Liverpool.

A bad start for Liverpool in the first game, but they are back on form.
It was great to see Burnley beat Man U, but that was just hiccup for Fergie.
I watched the Wigan match live yesterday and Man U. destroyed them in the second half.
Chelsea and Arsenal have also come out raging.

I am looking forward to watching games between the big four.

Another win for Sunderland yesterday, so we have 6 points from 9.
A decent start, but they still need work in defence.

It should be a good season.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
emmline

Post by emmline »

Oh, there are plenty of Americans who are devoted soccer/football spectators. Bazillions really. It's just that, in these cases, the players are all <10 years old.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

SteveShaw wrote:
mukade wrote:I don't remember there being a decent football thread on this forum.
This is because this forum is populated mostly by Americans, who adore a bat-and-ball game that is played elsewhere in the world, if at all, only by pre-pubescent schoolgirls in short skirts. . .
I suppose you've never heard of Japan, Taiwan, the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Cuba, and the other countries that altogether make up close to half the players in the Major Leagues?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

SteveShaw wrote:
gonzo914 wrote: There are only about six people in the entire U.S. who watch professional soccer.
I suppose you have absolutely no idea how much this little factoid explains to the rest of us what is wrong with the USA...
Yeah, we don't have the hooligans. We're really missin' something.... But I like when the whole stadium is singing the team song.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

The Weekenders wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:
Yeah, we don't have the hooligans. We're really missin' something.... But I like when the whole stadium is singing the team song.
I watched a soccer game once. It was the longest, most tedious, most painfuly boring four hours of my life. I decided to skip the second half.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

There's an LA football club that's packed with top notch players, that can't seem to get all their sh*t into one boot (so to speak). Oh yeah, they're called LA Galaxy. I used to be partial to them.

Now my favorite futbol club is Chivas USA. http://web.mlsnet.com/t120/

I was just discussing with my brother the possibility of going to a game next weekend, Galaxy vs. Chivas USA.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
TC

Post by TC »

SteveShaw wrote:
Cute; but not true.
Anyway, that's still three more than fans of Cricket.