Math for Engtlish Students.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Caj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Math for Engtlish Students.

Post by Caj »

Ditto with "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less."

There's an interesting bit of circumstantial information there: either way it means the same thing, because if honestly do care about what someone is saying you wouldn't say so.
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Caj wrote:Ditto with "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less."

There's an interesting bit of circumstantial information there: either way it means the same thing, because if honestly do care about what someone is saying you wouldn't say so.
Not following there. I always considered
"I could care less" a mistake.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

fearfaoin wrote:
Caj wrote:Ditto with "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less."

Not following there. I always considered
Some people take them as the same thing, anyway. I could care less, but the difference sorta counts with me, too. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:Not following there. I always considered
Some people take them as the same thing, anyway. I could care less, but the difference sorta counts with me, too. :wink:
It's a New York thing. Really, you hear it all the time there. Said with a strong, rising Yiddish-type inflection: I could care LESS? A rhetorical question. In the mouths of inflectionally challenged goyim, it becomes a weird grammar error.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:Not following there. I always considered
It's a New York thing. Really, you hear it all the time there. Said with a strong, rising Yiddish-type inflection: I could care LESS? A rhetorical question. In the mouths of inflectionally challenged goyim, it becomes a weird grammar error.
I agree that it is the Yiddish-style rhetorical tone, and no other, that can serve and redeem the syntax to such perfection. But you hear it uninflected so here in the fly-over hinterlands as well. I have a friend who flatly says, "I could give a $#!+ less." And, of course, he means he couldn't. Charming turn of phrase, innit.

I suppose if I really wanted to milk this thing, I could interpret "I could care less" as meaning, "I guess I could care less, but I don't care enough to bother even with that." But I won't. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:But I won't. :wink:
we should be so lucky :D