My Cat is So Weird (Part 8)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

My Cat is So Weird (Part 8)

Post by Nanohedron »

She has a specific behavior and vocalisation when she thinks it's time for me to get out of bed: she'll stomp around in the hallway and yell out, "Mwa'-ee'-uh'!.....Mwa'-ee'-uh'! [apostrophe being a glottal stop, here]".

It just occurred to me that she's doing her best to say, "Wake up!"

.....Nah. Couldn't be.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Re: My Cat is So Weird (Part 8)

Post by Denny »

do you sense that she finds you frustrating at times?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, absolutely. But I shape up. For the NONCE. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Berti66 »

well, your cat wouldn't be the first one thinkin' it's human ............thanks for sharing, from another catlover.
berti
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I don't think it's strange at all, Nano.
Cotelette d'Agneau
djm

Post by djm »

The cat does. :really:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

It recalls an old Gilbert Shelton Cartoon strip, where Fat Freddy's Cat was pestering him, saying, "Me Out! Me Out! Prowl now!" for a long time until Fat freddy got the message. The punchline was "I swear, these humans are so stupid they don't even understand their own language."
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Lambchop wrote:I don't think it's strange at all, Nano.
Well, yeah. But any excuse for a topic, you know? :wink:

But I do think it's oddish that she stomps around in the hallway and yells as opposed to standing on my chest and meowing in my face, which to me would seem more normal. I mean, she sleeps on the bed with me. But if she wants me up? Noooo. The obvious and easy will not do. She has to stage a production replete with drama.

Okay, then. You want from weird? When I'm praising her, she'll crouch bunched-up and seek out real or imaginary bits on the floor and nibble at them, fidgety-like, for all the world like she's blushing and saying, "Aw, shucks." Yeah, it's cute, but...it's still questing for bits o' crap on the floor, hey. Real or imaginary.
Innocent Bystander wrote:It recalls an old Gilbert Shelton Cartoon strip, where Fat Freddy's Cat was pestering him, saying, "Me Out! Me Out! Prowl now!" for a long time until Fat freddy got the message. The punchline was "I swear, these humans are so stupid they don't even understand their own language."
I have to admit I get that sneaking suspicion from time to time.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Because it's vaguely pertinent:

oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I don't think your cat is telling you to get up but actually calling by name.

"Mwa'-ee'-uh'

That is your cat name.

I've noticed in situations where mine is calling me he uses a specific call and there is a different one for my wife.

He used another for our cat that passed away last year and he called it for some time after she died.

Now when I'm up and asking him "WHAT!?!"... which is the beginning of the feeding ritual... and THAT is a easter egg hunt of cat treats... I'm serious. :D

He gets really mad if he doesn't get a "hunt" every morning. Before the hunt begins he yells "My-cow!" to which I ask "whos cow?" and he says "My COW!"

Its great fun... the spoiled little b'astard.

Ok... he's not a b'astard as I met his dad and its on the paperwork.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Mine's started jumping on and off the bed just beside my head when he wants me to get up (and meowing loudly as well). Really funny at 4am :swear:

It's not like he even needs food half the time, I leave some in his bowl when I go to bed, he just wants attention. One time last week he was pestering me to get up, so I got out of bed, went through to the kitchen and switched on the light. He then went straight to his bowl and started eating. It was like he just wanted me to give him some light so he could see his food. I turned out the light, went back to bed and he left me alone until I got up at 7am as normal.

But the really fun game he's playing just now is when I get ready to leave for work in the morning. He sits behind the arm chair, or on it and hides behind the arm, then waits for me to go put my jacket on in the hallway. Once he sees me walk through he runs full speed behind me and whacks my calf with his paws as he runs past. Every. Morning. I think in his mind I'm an impala and he's a cheetah cleverly waiting for the right time to sprint past and pounce on his prey.

No more Attenborough for that cat (does anyone else's cat like to watch the wildlife programs?)
djm

Post by djm »

Chrisoff wrote:Mine's started jumping on and off the bed just beside my head when he wants me to get up (and meowing loudly as well). Really funny at 4am
It works! It works! :lol:

Male cats generally are a lot more playful than females. Sadly, they seem to suffer more health problems when they get old.

Enjoy his inventiveness at new forms of play. If nothing else, he's just saying he loves you. What more can you ask of any companion?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

djm wrote: Male cats generally are a lot more playful than females.
Hazel begs to differ.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

chrisoff wrote:(does anyone else's cat like to watch the wildlife programs?)
Mubu has been fascinated by hippos and antelopes, needless to say birds and rodents. The big cats have interested her. She'll watch dog programs, but I sense a mood of distaste. One time she was watching CG dinosaurs with very close attention.