The "I Voted" Thread--participation voluntary

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The "I Voted" Thread--participation voluntary

Post by peeplj »

Shannon and I voted today.

I thought it would be neat to have a thread where folks could say that they have voted.

Please don't say who or what you voted for or against, and please don't bring up any issues: take all of that to the Procto board.

This thread is only for those who have voted and want to say that they have.

Thanks.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

HOw did you get to vote early? That's not allowed in Michigan.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Flyingcursor wrote:HOw did you get to vote early? That's not allowed in Michigan.
Arkansas has an early voting option. I believe that several states do.

"Vote early and often." :lol:

(Just kidding on the "often" part, of course!) :D

--James

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I'm waiting for my ballot to arrive. :)
Cotelette d'Agneau
djm

Post by djm »

I had the option of voting early, but chose to wait for the official voting day. Doesn't this belong in the Procto forum?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

djm wrote:I had the option of voting early, but chose to wait for the official voting day. Doesn't this belong in the Procto forum?

djm
Surely just the act of voting isn't all that controversial?

If Dale or the mods want to put this in Procto, I've no objection, but I really don't see the need.

--James

-------
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Seems a little unfair to vote before the campaign is over.
Reasonable person
Walden
djm

Post by djm »

The campaign was over last week.

I didn't mean to say this was controversial. I suggested it simply because the topic is political in nature. I guess the lines are fuzzy.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Walden wrote:Seems a little unfair to vote before the campaign is over.
You have a point, but if you have firmly decided who you're voting for--as I did some time ago)--then early voting has real advantages:

--avoid the long lines, bad traffic, and short tempers of election day

--you have a choice of places and times that allow you to pick something more convenient; this is especially nice for those who can't be absent from work or school on election day

--it makes the election more valid by making sure that everyone who wants to vote and is eligible to do so has a fair chance of being able to cast their vote

I don't always vote early, but this year I'm grateful to have the option.

--James

-------
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I can't speak for all the mods, but I would think that, if it's just kept to "I voted" and doesn't get into for whom or into issues (which is what peeplj requested in the first post), it's not "Procto" material.

The "vote early" option is nice for a lot of people (as is the ability to vote via absentee ballot, even if you're not technically "absent"). It does pay to remember, however, that your employer is required by law to allow you time to go vote, so if you're not in a state with an early voting option and didn't apply for an absentee ballot (I believe it's too late at this juncture), stand up for your rights on election day!

I prefer to vote on the actual day, myself, but I don't have the time constraints many others do.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I voted, via absentee ballot. I got it about a week and a half ago.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

We filled out our ballots, today. Stuffed 'em into their two envelopes, and will deliver 'em to the town hall on Monday.

Then, we can sit back with the popcorn, and watch the whole thing unfold.

What an election!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Redwolf wrote:your employer is required by law to allow you time to go vote, so ... stand up for your rights on election day!
That's state law Red, not federal, and will vary from state to state. It's true in California (see California Code below), but not necessarily elsewhere. Remember, Nov. 4 is a state election for state electors, not president, so each state can have its own laws. Screwy, isn't it? :-)

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisg ... n=retrieve
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I voted on Friday.

My girlfriend got her new voters registration form today (with her new address) so she'll be voting Monday.

We've been able to vote since Monday, Oct 20th, and can early-vote though Oct 31st. No reason necessary. It's an awfully nice option.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Redwolf wrote:The "vote early" option is nice for a lot of people (as is the ability to vote via absentee ballot, even if you're not technically "absent"). It does pay to remember, however, that your employer is required by law to allow you time to go vote,
Well, yes, but if the polls are open before or after work, they'll tell you to do it then. Some might not want to raise this issue with an employer who hasn't already offered the time off.
so if you're not in a state with an early voting option and didn't apply for an absentee ballot (I believe it's too late at this juncture), stand up for your rights on election day!
It is probably too late to register to vote, but it might not be too late for an absentee ballot. Here, you have until the 29th of October to request a ballot to be mailed. You can do it online. You have until November 4 to mail it back or drop it off at a collection point.
Cotelette d'Agneau