Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
devondancer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Devondancer update

Post by devondancer »

Yes, today Lesley took her first steps! She is amazing! The physio made her use a Zimmer frame, to her total disgust: in her opinion, those are only useful tubes for whistle-making and have no other function. But she walked, and both legs worked, and we are both so proud.

Apparently Lesley was awake almost all night, just hoping that the surgeons would let her try, and that she would be able to walk. She had to keep pretending to be asleep, because she was afraid they wouldn't let her see the physio if she was too tired. I think she spent a while pinching her cheeks this morning, to look impressively pink!

She has been so incredibly brave throughout this whole ordeal. She has not once complained about the pain, the embarrasment, the possibility that she might not walk, or indeed might not even survive. Today, after her short walk, when the staff had left us alone, she just broke down and sobbed and sobbed. I think it was relief, and reaction, and thanks, and the feeling that she has her life back, and that it will be the life she wants, not one that she would cheerfully have accepted but would not have chosen.

Now that she has started, there will be no stopping her! She has already asked if she can go outside tomorrow, in a chair - she says she needs real air. Most of all she wants to see the sea, which she loves. She always says it refreshes her soul! I hope that I shall soon be able to take her there, and to bring her home.

Thank you, my friends. All is well tonight with the devondancers.

Ro.
Last edited by devondancer on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:29 am, edited 16 times in total.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

That's excellent news! :) :) :)

Give our regards to Lesley.

You both remain in our thoughts.

--James & Shannon (and four fuzzy ferrets)
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
emmline

Post by emmline »

Good going! Keep it up.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Glad to hear the good news. Sounds like baby steps, but big ones for someone who has been in a bed for a long time, no doubt.

I have always believed that the sea has healing powers. Even looking at it can be a powerful experience.
gregdidge

Post by gregdidge »

What wonderful news!!!!! :D :party: :D :party: :D
Maybe they will let her keep the Zimmer Frame when she is done with it and she will have lots of whistle stock! Lesley can have her revenge on the frame :twisted: and there will be more wistles available!
It is important not to mistake the edge of a rut for the horizon!

Greg
djm

Post by djm »

Wow! :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

HOORAY!

There is such joy in self-powered locomotion! Many years ago, I spent two months in traction in the hospital after a serious accident. I still remember how wonderful it felt to stand up and walk with crutches. (And how eager I was to be given the chance to do that, just as Lesley was eager to get up.) I felt amazingly tall, and HEAVY -- in spite of the fact that it's the only time in my life that I've been seriously underweight. To this day, nearly 3 decades later, sometimes when I'm walking I just focus on the joy of my legs moving and carrying me unassisted. Having come so close to losing that ability helps me to remember not to take such "simple" little things as walking to the bathroom alone for granted.

Definitely, get her outside! Outdoor air will do wonders for her. When I was still chained to my bed but getting well enough to feel really antsy and hemmed in by the hospital walls, I was lucky that the doors in the hospital were designed to allow the beds to be rolled in and out. There was a fire escape with a landing big enough to hold my bed, and some family members together with a favorite nurse rolled me, bed and all, out my room door, down the hall, and out the fire door onto the landing. All I could see was grey sky, and it was cold, but I stayed out as long as I could stand the cold just to breathe the outdoor air. That the memory is so strong all these years later shows how important that was. Lesley knows it's important to her, so make it happen!
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Denny

Post by Denny »

djm

Post by djm »

Um ... just how close is the sea to the hospital ...?

:o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Happy tears! So glad to hear it!

Keep up the great work, both of you!!!

(Where're the dratted tissues??!!)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah!!! Get out of that hospital and keep walking!
missy

Post by missy »

I really needed to hear some "good news" today!!!!

I am SO glad for both of you!!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Isn't it just wonderful? I still can't believe that she really is going to get well!

Thank you for all your kind messages. I know how Lesley loves reading them, and feeling that she is meeting you all. HDSarah, that is just what Lesley said: when she was training ( a long time ago!) the wards mostly had balconies so that the beds could be wheeled outside. These days, of course, everything is sealed in, without windows a lot of the time, and no real air gets in at all. Lesley normally spends so much of her time outside that I think she is physically suffering from being indoors all this time. I shall get her out tomorrow somehow, even if just into the carpark!

Djm, the sea is near our house, but not quite that near! Our cliffs are red sandstone and our local beach is of red sand, but many here are pebbly. She loves them all, and swims at them all.

Sarah / Annie, I need more tissues too! I managed not to weep with Lesley today, as that would not have helped her, but I have done my fair share both before this afternoon and since. I have progressed to paper towels, as they don't fall apart so fast.

Greg, I will suggest to her tomorrow that the Zimmer frame meets the awful fate you suggest! That will encourage her to use it until then, all the time planning its demise.

James and Shannon, Lesley has loved the pictures of your ferrets, as well as the tunes on your site.

Emmline, Bill, Denny, Weekenders, Missy: your support has been invaluable. I would never have been able to cope with this without all of you, and that would have left Lesley unsupported! Unthinkable!

Everyone on the board: you have all been so incredibly kind. I am so pleased to be able to give you good news at last.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I have been given back my beloved wife.

Roland
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

And I know she's more beloved than ever now. I'm so happy to hear this news, Roland. I'm so pleased for you both.

Susan
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Roland, tell Lesley she will now have to learn to play concertina, this is why she's been given a second chance :D