Bubble wrap and shipping peanuts

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cork
antispam: No

Bubble wrap and shipping peanuts

Post by Cork »

Once there was a time when shipping a fragile item involved bits of cardboard, newspaper, and tissue paper, in addition to tape and a box.

But no more! Now there are the plastic wonders of bubble wrap and shipping peanuts.

(Where could a thread like this go?)

;-)
I.D.10-t

Re: Bubble wrap and shipping peanuts

Post by I.D.10-t »

Cork wrote:But no more! Now there are the plastic wonders of bubble wrap and shipping peanuts.
Yes, but what do you ship those in?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

bubble wrap!!!!!! I LOVE bubble wrap!!!!!!

:party:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Yes, but what do you ship those in?
A black plastic garbage bag. At least once a month a customer on my route gets one of these- the garbage bag is covered in clear tape too. I asked the lady what on earth is this once when I delivered one and she laughed and said- bubble wrap for packing. She sells a lot on e-bay.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
djm

Post by djm »

One of the coolest ideas I ever saw was, instead of using Styrofoam peanuts to pack stuff in, pop up some popcorn and use that instead. It's more environmentally friendly than Styrofoam, and if the parcel hasn't been too long in transit, the receiver can eat the packaging - no waste to the landfill.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I work at a packaging company that sells boxes and peanuts, etc. A few weeks ago, some young kids came in to purchase a couple of industrial-sized bags of peanuts. Apparently they were going to use it to fill a friend's car with peanuts - floor to roof. They were performing various hijinks on each other as part of some prank war.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

The company I buy my sprouting tools and seeds from ships it packed in shipping peanuts made out of a corn product instead of plastic.
Instead of disposing of them in the garbage pail I put them in the yard and hosed them with water until they dissolved.

The company I bought my worms from (for my vermiculture) double packed the box of worms inside another box with shredded newspaper as an impact insulator.
The shredded newspaper went right into the vermiculture with the worms. If my vermiculture was bigger I might have shredded the boxes and put them in there too.
pastorkeith

Post by pastorkeith »

The local Walk for Autism use bubble wrap for a section of the walk.
The kids love it. Very...ummm...poppy.

pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Personally, I've gotten very fond of the cute little bags of air.
Peanuts are too prone to static issues.
Popcorn....I have a problem with using food as packaging and corn products are getting expensive anyway.
I reuse all the bubblewrap and peanuts and air bladders that come into the shop, then move onto newspaper.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Tyghress wrote:Personally, I've gotten very fond of the cute little bags of air.
Peanuts are too prone to static issues.
Popcorn....I have a problem with using food as packaging and corn products are getting expensive anyway.
I reuse all the bubblewrap and peanuts and air bladders that come into the shop, then move onto newspaper.
Peanuts are regularly available in the anti-static (pink) variety (same thing with bubble wrap, etc.). As someone mentioned earlier, another common variety of peanuts is made from corn starch which are biodegradable. I think they are even slightly cheaper than the regular polystyrene peanuts (oil is more expensive then corn in packaging). The only downside to corn starch peanuts is that they are softer than polystyrene peanuts so I wouldn't use them with heavy items.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I like the idea of popcorn for packaging, but I'm reminded of the pillar-box (postbox) where snails ate the gum from the stamps and IIRC ate the ink from the envelopes which resulted in missing addresses.
And our postman is very thin. Maybe I won't use popcorn.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
missy

Post by missy »

I see Izz already found this, or I would have said:

Hey IZZ!!! A Bubblewrap thread!!!!!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

This thread reminded me of the phrase "smuggling peanuts" but that has nothing whatsoever to with bubble wrap and other packaging materials.

Most places these days fill the boxes with air filled plastic rather than the old bubblewrap/polystyrene combo
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

This makes me want to pop some Bubble wrap.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

I.D.10-t wrote:This makes me want to pop some Bubble wrap.
Darn! You beat me to it! I wanted to post that! :moreevil:

The best part of that "game" is the Manic "Must have more!" voice when you reset it.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|