Blackest Dirt: Porcupine Follow Up

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

lovely.

nice mandolin playing, too.
there is no end to the walking
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Lovely! Thank you for sharing it.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Very nice. Love that mandolin.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
carrie

Post by carrie »

Thank you very much. I hope Daniel won't mind my sharing something from an email I received from him after I sent him the link to the song. He said he was going to share the song with friends on a Native American messageboard he participates in because they felt an affinity to Jewish music. "One minor key people to another," he wrote, and I thought that a poignant expression.

Thanks again to all who have listened and commented!

Carol
JS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JS »

Really, really nice. Once of those melodies that seems like it must have always been there, waiting to be heard. And the conjunction of the whistle and the stories--there must be something to that idea of synchronicity, eh?

Thanks very much.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
carrie

Post by carrie »

JS wrote:And the conjunction of the whistle and the stories--there must be something to that idea of synchronicity, eh?
Yes, and it all feels like a complete circle to me somehow.

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate all the comments.

Carol
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

It seems to me that it has made full circle as well.
I was reading about the Wounded Knee massacre back in december, afterwards I wondered what living conditions where like at the reservation where Wounded Knee happened and that led to the raffle.

To make the circle complete:
Now a beautiful song remembers another massacre to another people in another place. A constant reminder to us to "Never Forget".
These things continue to happen around the world to other peoples even today, these stories and songs are the outcry of humanity, I wish for the day when the Lion and Lamb lie down together.

Must be something about circles. :)

Lakota Medicine Wheel

This has been Pejuta Waste (Pe-ju-ta wash-day, good medicine).
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:It seems to me that it has made full circle as well.
Me too.

So much about this story brings it home to me in a gentle but powerful way what a special community we have here. The ability successfully to reach out across time, across nations, across cultures is deeply moving and inspiringly life affirming.

Many thanks to all who made this happen.
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

I just discovered this tune (well, it was shown to me in what turns out to be something of a gift), and wanted to give this post at least one more bump, in case anyone's missed it.

It's a lovely piece, sad, evocative, yearning, and tells a story worth being reminded of periodically. I'm glad it was shared here.

Thanks, Carol.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I'm gonna go listen to it again.

Reminds me of Joyces parting shot in "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man"...

"Welcome, O life, I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience and to forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race."

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
carrie

Post by carrie »

I thought that some people who were kind enough to listen to my song might be interested in this photo, from South Bend, Indiana, where my father's family settled when they came to the United States. My dad is the one with the tie. It was here where the rabbi first told my aunt that the richest fruits can only grow in the blackest dirt. There were 8 kids in the family. My dad and his younger brother, shown in this picture, were among the youngest, and both were born in the U.S.

Also, I am very pleased to say that thanks to a board member here, Portland, the song will be played on KCSB tomorrow morning (Tuesday) on the show that he hosts, called Roadtunes Sessions. It will be webcast at www.kscb.org. The show airs from 10-12 Pacific Time. That's especially meaningful because the 100th anniversary of the pogrom is June 1st. Thank you so much, Portland, and everyone else who has listened!

Carol
Portland

The Blackest Dirt on KCSB 91.9 FM

Post by Portland »

Thanks for sending me your song Carol and for posting the information about the show. Welcome to all of you who have a chance to listen. The song will be relatively early in the show, in with the Irish music I always start with. If you hang out a bit longer you'll hear a variety of singer songwriters, both acoustic and electric. The show then ends with a few more Irish tunes.

I hope you like what you hear!

Slainte,

Andy
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

wow
Reasonable person
Walden
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Carol-- I'm speechless. That song is so traditional in sound and form and the content is devastating. I really hope it gets the circulation that it (and you!) deserves. I'm sending the link to lots of people including our congregation's two rabbis.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
carrie

Post by carrie »

Thank you, Paul! That's very kind. For me, of course, the more people to share it with, the more fulfilling it becomes. Thank you again!

Carol