Recording- DVR to to computer?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
BmacD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Recording- DVR to to computer?

Post by BmacD »

While messing around in my "mad scientist underground lab " last nite I noticed my digital voice recorder laying next to one of the computers and wondered what would happen if one was connected to the other. The DVR works acceptably for recording flute. OK for recording practice sessions for later referance . Of course , very "low-fi ". But when recording music from the computer to DVR the distortion is fierce. Even with volume at a whisper it just isn't usable. I know how uncommon this is but I could posit an occasional use for recording music from the computer to a DVR. So, does anyone out there in Technical Land know if an attenuator circuit is a possible solution to the problem?I don't really want to heat up the soldering iron if some one with more first hand experiance says this just isn't worth it. Yeah, I know about mp3 recorders ect. but thats for late next year.
Thanks,
Bruce
We have enough youth. How about a "fountain of smart".
djm

Post by djm »

You didn't say how you are connecting the DVR to the PC, if at all. Or are you just doing an analogue recording, holding the DVR up to the PC's speaker? That would certainly generate a lot of noise!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
BmacD

Post by BmacD »

I used a simple monaural patch cord-1/8 in.audio jacks at each end and an isolation transformer in the middle , but no attenuation.
We have enough youth. How about a "fountain of smart".
djm

Post by djm »

You may have an impedence mismatch between the PC's speaker-out jacks and the DVR's mic in-jacks.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.