Henri Cartier -Bresson RIP

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cayden

Henri Cartier -Bresson RIP

Post by Cayden »

A decisive moment.

Henri Cartier Bresson dies aged 95

Leaving behind unforgettable images.
caniadafallon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by caniadafallon »

"In whatever one does, there must be a relationship between the eye and the heart. With the one eye that is closed, one looks within, with the other eye that is open, one looks without."

~Henri Cartier Bresson
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I guess I didn't know he was still alive. I have books by Ansel Adams, Annie Liebowicz and others, and it's Cartier-Bresson's I look at the most. Well him and Walker Evans.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

/Bloomfield
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

You could try a thousand times and not get that photo. And there's no way you can get the decisive moment with a digital. The moment's a second and a half past when the shutter clicks. You need a Leica.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Viewing and studying Henri Cartier-Bresson was certainly a pivotal moment for me as a junior photographer. The "decisive moment" thought in the capturing of a photograph is something one NEVER forgets. In fact, in nearly all situations I am drawn to the concept before the shutter opens and the image has settled in the emulsion.

It was years after my days at Ryerson when I got the chance to see a print by Cartier-Bresson at my friend's (Brian Orser) house. It was a glorious image of a kid in the street carrying 2 wine bottles with a sh*t-eating grin on his mug, another girl behind him admiring his status.

A few weeks ago I was at the Guggenheim Museum in NYC. An astonishing gallery of images assembled - the concept being hands. http://www.guggenheim.org/exhibitions/buhl/flash.htmlAgain, another simply captivating photograph of a man kissing a Cardinal's hands. (It's a briliant show with some of my other favourites: Irving Penn, Alfred Stieglitz, Edward Steichen, Diane Arbus and more - if you're in New York you really shold check it out !).

Anyway, Cartier-Bresson was a founder of Magnum Photos http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/Stati ... Magnum.htm and became much quieter later on in lfe. Apparently never wanted his art to be proclaimed as high art, rather would remain much more modest.

Thanks M. Cartier-Bresson! You inspired many.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\