For the fans of Dr. Who

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

For the fans of Dr. Who

Post by MarkB »

Exterminate! Dr Who to battle the Daleks again!

Full story: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040804/325/ezkws.html

"LONDON (Reuters) - Get ready to hide behind the sofa again -- Doctor Who's arch rivals the Daleks are coming back.

The BBC said on Wednesday that a new series of the cult sci-fi series "Doctor Who" would feature the fearsome robots after the producers reached an agreement with their creator's estate."

I loved this show because of its simplicity but intelligent ideas. Can't wait for the new series.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Paul Reid
antispam: No

Post by Paul Reid »

This was one of my all time favourite shows when I was a kid. Mostly with the guy that had the long scarf. Will BBC produce this with a focus on high-end after effects, I wonder, or will they keep to the same style of cheesy sets and laser beams? heehee.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

Doctor Who and the Daleks are British Cultural PHENOMENA.
We may laugh at the cardboard sets now,but to my mind-the old shows low budget production fires the imagination far more than todays CGI effects-lets face it -how many 'modern' Sci-fi films have you seen that are purely scene after scene of computer effects,with little in the way of plot,characterisation,narrative flow etc,etc?
I well remember 'Dalek-mania' when I was five or six years old.
Don't know if Eccleston is right for the part though-he's a bit of a full-on 'Thesp. luvvie' to my mind.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Hooray!!! I hope we'll be able to see these new episodes here in the States.

:pint:
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Also one of my favorites. There were a series of Drs., the one I followed was probably the last one; I forget his name (Tom?)

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I also hope this show plays here in the states. My wife and I both love the show. I hope they will keep the simplicity of the old programs. It was hokey but I like hokey. More "realism" is what killed Startrek for me.

Here's to the Doctor

Ron
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

PhilO wrote:Also one of my favorites. There were a series of Drs., the one I followed was probably the last one; I forget his name (Tom?)

Philo
You might be thinking of Tom Baker (my favorite Doctor), but I think there was one, maybe two after him.
This was a wonderful, funny, imaginative show-- check it out if you get a chance
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

Now this is marvellous news indeed: the good Doctor back on the screen! :party:
Hey, even the BBC can't kill a Timelord for good - and they really tried hard, didn't they. :swear:

It will be exciting to see the 9th incarnation. Although I suppose, I still will miss Sylvester McCoy. :sniffle: Actually I even wrote a tune called "The Doctor's Request" with him in mind.

So let's see, if the new Doctor gets a tune of his own sooner or later.

Claus (waiting desperately for the next TARDIS coming along) :thumbsup:
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Thanks Paul; Tom Baker it was. The Tardis was so cool, a British phone booth? Geez...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Claus von Weiss

PhilO wrote: The Tardis was so cool, a British phone booth? Geez...

Philo
A Police Box actually, because the chameleon curcuit got broken when the Tardis was stranded in the sixties in England, where these were still around then. Imagine the new Doctor would go and fix it now - horror! :boggle:
John S

Post by John S »

You probably won't believe me, but the actor that is to play this most English of Time lords occasional drinks in my local.
I think this will be the first Joseph Holts drinking Doctor so far though I can't prove that.
John S
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

John S wrote:You probably won't believe me, but the actor that is to play this most English of Time lords occasional drinks in my local.
John S
Your mission-- get a whistle into this man's hands and see if you can interest him in possibly playing it on air as the Doctor once in a while. I think that would be a fascinating little aspect of the good Doctor, and he just might think so too!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

The sets were chintzy, but I totally agree that they were enough to tell a good story. The Daleks were a favourite of my brother and I.
Starring Christopher Eccleston as Doctor Who and Billie Piper as Rose Tyler, the Doctor's companion, the new 13-part series is currently filming in Cardiff and London for transmission in 2005.
Piper? I like her name! And whatever happened to K-9???

PR
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Tom was good,
but jon pertwee, ....i think thats how you spell it ( amar has me scared now) had a touch of class and its kind of refreshing to think an old ugly guy can still have magnificant looking young ladies in love with his mind and ........um...other things :lol:
exterminate exterminate
whooohooo
:lol:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Claus von Weiss

brewerpaul wrote: Your mission-- get a whistle into this man's hands and see if you can interest him in possibly playing it on air as the Doctor once in a while. I think that would be a fascinating little aspect of the good Doctor, and he just might think so too!
That's the ticket, Paul, especially as the second Doctor used to play the wreckorder now and again. :o
About time (sic!) for a change! :D

Claus