Things to do near Hyde Park/Poughkeepsie/Kingston NY?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Things to do near Hyde Park/Poughkeepsie/Kingston NY?

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

We're going on vacation soon to the Hyde Park/Poughkeepsie/Kingston NY area. I was just wondering if there's anything of interest going on in that area (music and non-music related) in August that I "just shouldn't miss". We just sort of randomly picked this as a vacation spot, so it will be interesting to see what comes up!

Robin
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

go to lunch or dinner at the Mohonk Mountain House. We've stayed there a couple times, though prices have gotten outrageous. Phenomenal place.
DADGAD

Post by DADGAD »

also, eat lunch at the Culinary Institute of America.....amazing food but you have to make a reservation early.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Visit me and my collection.

:)
~JessieD
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

JessieK wrote:Visit me and my collection.
:)

Or me and mine! I'm about an hr north of there. I can show you where that Bocote whistle was born, and snug up that tuning slide a tad if it still needs it.

On a historical note, you can visit the home of FDR which is actually quite interesting.
For a culinary experienc (so I'm told) visit the CIA. No, the OTHER CIA, which is the Culinary Institute of America. This place trains some of the best chefs in the world. They have several restaurants featuring food by the students. These range from VERY expensive, to more moderate. However, you will need a reservation.
The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome is truly fantastic if you're at all interested in old aircraft. They have a working collection of WWI and earlier planes (including a Fokker Triplane like the Red Baron's)and they give airshows on Sat and Sun. Imagine mock dogfights, stunts, etc. They also have an air museum. Your kids will love it, and I think you will too.
The Hudson Valley has a lot of vineyards and wineries.
The State Museum in Albany is quite good and interesting if you get a rainy day.
Further north is Lake George and the Adirondack Mountains. You'll be right near Woodstock which is a nice little town, but a bit touristy.
You can probably get boat tours on the Hudson, or possibly rent canoes or kayaks.
If by chance you're talking about Labor Day weekend, the terrific Scottish Games in Altamont are well worth the trip: Caber toss and other hernia-intensive sports can be watched, regional bagpipe (highland) championships, other music and lots of Celtic vendors.
Man, I love this area!
:D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

emmline wrote:go to lunch or dinner at the Mohonk Mountain House. We've stayed there a couple times, though prices have gotten outrageous. Phenomenal place.
I forgot to mention that you can get a day-use pass for the Mononk grounds which will allow you to hike the many miles of really beautiful trails that surround the place. The hotel itself is an amazing Victorian era landmark with a small lake in back. The trails border high cliffs and are dotted with rustic gazebos where you and the family can rest and take in some truly awesome views of the Catskills and Hudson valley.
Bring those bikes-- not for the Mohonk trails, but this whole region is really beautiful for biking.
Got wood?
CJM

Post by CJM »

Take a ride up to Woodstock and browse the oddity shops. It's only nine miles from Kingston. Maybe find something in Tie-Dye :P
A couple of the local cafe's have music on Friday or Sat nights.

Take a self guided walking tour of the Saugerties lighthouse on the Hudson river (in Saugerties of course). 8 miles north of Kingston.

Take a cruise on the Hudson River on one of the cruise boats that is docked on the Roundout Creek in Kingston. The area is referred to as the Strand (Strand Street). You can eat at Rositta's or the Armodillo resturaunts there too (exellcent, if you like mexican). There are also dinner cruises.

In Kingston, the Ulster Performing Arts center may have a show you may be interested in .

Poughkeepsie (aka Pok) has a criuses too, I believe.
As Paul mentioned, you can visit The Franlin D Rosevelt (sp?) mansion, or the Vanderbilt mansion in Hyde Park (just north of Poughkeepsie).
Walk across the Rail Trail. An old train bridge across the Hudson which feels like a mile above the water as you walk across.
The Pok Civic Center or Bardavon Opera House may have a show while you are in town.

Take a ride through the Catskill Mountains. As you cross the Kingston-Rhinecliff bridge, they jump out at you.

As Paul mentioned, the Old Rhinebeck Airdrone is facinating if you like old planes. They put on a funny air show too. Bring your own comfy chair.
Go see Paul :) He is easy to get to. Just up the NYS Thruway.

Visit the West Point Military Academy, West side of the Hudosn, about 20 miles south of Pok. Some real nice day hiking in the area of the academy called Bear Mtn.

Catch a train from the Pok train station down to NYC for a broadway show.
Metro North railway is cheaper than driving and parking.

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. Will add more as they come to me.

<edited for severe spelling and grammer errors>
Carl with a 'C'
If at first you don't succeed, give up sky diving.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Thanks a lot, everyone!

:party:

Robin
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

CJM wrote:<edited for severe spelling and grammer errors>
Hee hee! On my match.com profile, I specified that spelling and grammar were important to me. My husband (who actually responded to my profile) is a great speller, but his grammar sometimes suffers (he comes from NJ and he messes up "I" and "me"). It drives me crazy, but he's working on it. He has a Masters degree in English.

But anyway...Carl, I grew up in Woodstock and my parents still live there. My grandmother lives in Saugerties. I live an hour and a half away in Pine Bush.

(Edited to add the last ").")
Last edited by JessieK on Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~JessieD
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

JessieK wrote:
CJM wrote:<edited for severe spelling and grammer errors>
Hee hee! On my match.com profile, I specified that spelling and grammar were important to me. My husband (who actually responded to my profile) is a great speller, but his grammar sometimes suffers (he comes from NJ and he messes up "I" and "me". It drives me crazy, but he's working on it. .
That bugs me too, but it's really easy to figure out the right usage. If you're not sure how to refer to yourself in conjunction with another person, just leave the pronoun for the other person out of the sentence, and it should be immediately evident which pronoun to use for yourself. For example, if you are not sure if "You and me should go to the movies" is correct, leave out the prounoun "you" and "me should go to the movies" becomes plainly wrong whereas "I should go to the movies" makes sense.
Similarly, if you're not sure what pronoun to use for the other person, leave yourself out of the sentence. Eg-- you might be tempted to say "Him and I are going to the movies" (at least, some people around here might...), but if you leave out "I", "Him is going to the movies"* sounds 'way too hillbilly, whereas "He is going to the movies" is fine.
There are rules for this regarding subject and object of the sentence, but this trial and error method works just fine. Good grammar ain't nothin' to be ashamed of :P
*note that I had to change the verb from plural to singular
Got wood?

Post by Guest »

If this is about 'grammar - spelling - character ' then I would like to point out that when you have lived in England for 10 years going to school or college there, then are you qualified to pontificate on how the rest of us should express ourselves.

Written Autranglish like Yanglish while sometimes refreshing in contruction is mostly a complete disaster.

For example an M.A on US radio, lecturing the public about how stupid we all are, used the following construction - ...'comming THERE' and then.... 'going HERE'

Walloped through copious volumes of Latin and classical Greek, I always have problems with written English construction, simply because it is so full of redundancy; consequently, IMHO it is a very inefficient language

So colonialspeak while it franticaly bludgeons about in what it knows not, all in order to somehow reduce the burden of having to go the long way about every time, comletely fails to achieve its adverstised ends What I hear then is 'slanglish' using clique words, which enjoy a short life, to facilitate what would have taken a paragraph.

Spelling! When nothing else can be done well to a legislated standard ain't it nice to have something to hang on to.

Seriously - learn to speak the language well, then perhaps we might be able to think better.

(Notice the construction there! it ain't always correct to put the adverb before the verb!)
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yes, Paul. It is obvious, and I explain it every time I correct him. He understands it intellectually (he's no dummy), but he doesn't think quickly enough...he just resorts to habits.
~JessieD
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

JessieK wrote:Yes, Paul. It is obvious, and I explain it every time I correct him. .
In that case, it might simply be best to bite your tongue and not correct him every time, in the interest of domestic tranquillity!
Got wood?
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

By coincidink, the Weekenders will be in that same area, actually staying in Highland, but visiting New Paltz, HydePark, Mohonk, Woodstock, etc. Leaving on the 6th (August) and coming home the 17th.

Sooo, thanks for the timely tips. Other Weekender actually lived there for a while and her grown-up sons are there so we have some guidance but tips always help. She says the Mohonk Mountain House is a bit pricey.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I live a half hour from New Paltz.
~JessieD