Can you whistle without a whistle?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

No
13%
No
No votes
Yes, with fingers in mouth
No votes
Yes, with fingers in mouth
No votes
Yes, puckering
58%
Yes, puckering
No votes
Both the pucking and fingers methods
29%

Total votes: 38

happyturkeyman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by happyturkeyman »

I can not whistle at all without a whistle. You know, like with my mouth. Can't do it.

What about you people?

Edit: on the bright side... the poll worked. On the downside... I forgot a few letters here and there :D
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

Ahhh... I forgot about the poll editing thing. crap.

Oh well, vote away my pretties

Ill just be going to get my usual 1:30 AM meal. Good thing it's so late, or I would have no excuse for my mistake. Besides stupidity. And is that really an excuse, or more of a reason?
Last edited by happyturkeyman on Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

It was truly my first instrument. Also through the teeth. I only use the finger thing when trying to get someone's attention.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

i'm a very good mouth whistler, puckering kind, wish i could tinwhistle as good..
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Both kinds, but I only use the finger type to cheer for performers at concerts :lol:

With the puckering kind, you oughta hear my wife and me whistle Bach Two Part Inventions! Seriously.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
amar

Post by amar »

brewerpaul wrote:Both kinds, but I only use the finger type to cheer for performers at concerts :lol:

With the puckering kind, you oughta hear my wife and me whistle Bach Two Part Inventions! Seriously.
a clip!!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I grew up around pipe bands and as the story goes after some exposure to them when I was very young about four or so, my mom couldn't figure out were the music was coming from one day, there was I in another room whistling pipe tunes while I played, and as she often quoted to family and friends in key and time.

And I have been whistling ever since. It is one of my main ways of learning tunes, by listening to them over and over and I know I have the tune when I can whistle it.

I drive some of my sessions mates crazy sometimes, I whistle the tune as I play the bodhran, but at times it has saved a set when the others have forgot the next tune, I just whistle it for them.

Interesting poll.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
amar

Post by amar »

yeah, i guess, you, as I do, learn tunes mainly by ear. do ya?

with me, only by ear.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Almost all by ear but sometimes I will consult the dots, especially to start the tune, I pick up new tunes in sessions mostly, so starting them is my weak point, thats what I work most on.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

I never could do the finger kind (that doesn't sound right...). I'm pretty good at the puckering kind (that doesn't really sound right either). I can also cup my hands and put my thumbs together and blow to make a cool hooting kind of whistle.

I always wanted to be able to use blade of grass, but never managed to get any kind of sound.

::sigh::

~Ad
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I haven't really learned a tune until I can whistle it with my lips.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
dreamerlass

Post by dreamerlass »

I can also cup my hands and put my thumbs together and blow to make a cool hooting kind of whistle.
I can do that! If you fan your outer hand a bit you can make a loon call.
We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Funny, I was just wondering the same thing the other day (how many whistle players whistled without whistles). Good one!

I whistle a lot and can whistle pretty well, but I can only whistle by puckering. I never have figured out the fingers-in-the-mouth method, and I've always been envious of people who could do that. (Instructions, anyone???)

When my little sister finally learned to whistle, she was so addicted to it that she whistled all the time. I still have very clear memories of her merrily whistling away while water skiing. It was my favorite time for her to whistle because we couldn't hear her over the engine.

. -- Daryl
amar

Post by amar »

i can do the grass thing too. hey, if you want to get an amazingly loud piercing sound, do this:
take the litte hat of the acorn off, place it between index and middle finger in such a way that the concave side is towards the fingertips. shove the hat down the gap between the two fingers about half way, then blow over the top of the little hat, by blowing parallel over your fingers, knuckle side...jeez...does anyone get this...?
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

dreamerlass wrote:
I can also cup my hands and put my thumbs together and blow to make a cool hooting kind of whistle.
I can do that! If you fan your outer hand a bit you can make a loon call.

I do that to make a roadrunner call. :-D Guess it all depends on where you grow up as a kid.
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach