'Saddest case ever'

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
anticDevices
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

'Saddest case ever'

Post by anticDevices »

This... just gets worse the further in you go. The funny thing (!) is the casual style it's written in.

Kenner man admits leaving son, 9

It made me ask, "Where do I live?" Not as a slam against LA, since this feckless TWIT just seems to have been caught here. Could have happened anywhere.

Anyway. I dunno. This just derailed me today.

- P
"Mensch werden ist eine Kunst" - Novalis
to become a human being is art
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

That is just wrong, all I can say.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

How would Filch (Harry Potter character) put it...?

"Too bad they did away with the old punishments. God, I miss the screamin'."
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I think that 45 years is enough time to think about what he had done, especially if he is abandon within the system by everybody concerned.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MarkB wrote:I think that 45 years is enough time to think about what he had done, especially if he is abandon within the system by everybody concerned.

MarkB
It's just that something tells me he's not the type to do anything other than grasping, and I don't mean mentally.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

'Judge not, lest ye be judged.'

The wisdom of those words to me is that we really can't know what another person is capable or incapable of. Obviously, a normal person woudn't behave that way. This guy is certainly off the bell curve for normality. The article implies he's a drug user, has wacked out interpersonal relationships, and it says he couldn't read. Does he come from a background of abuse and neglect? If so, he never learned the skills to be a normal human. (They're not entirely instinctive.)

It was a horrible and tragic event for the boy to be tossed out like that, but it was probably a really lucky break for him, too.

My wife works as a nurse at a private school for 'severely emotionally disturbed' children. Some of the kids live in group homes, others with family members. These kids simply don't know how to get along with other people. They don't know how to give love or to receive it. They act out their personal traumas by inflicting them on others. It's easy to feel anger at them for their behavior. I tried working as a nurse at a facility for these kids once. I lasted a couple of months. I was an emotional wreck in short order and left.

This guy fits the profile to a 'T.' These things go on every day in every city and town. And it moves from generation to generation.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

that's one of the saddest news articles i've ever read.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

The crime is henious, no question, but the allusion to reasons to suspect similar background for the "father" (you *know* why I'm using quotes)... abandoned and neglected kids often gro up to be abandoning and neglectful "adults" (here too).

Yes, he should pay a big price, and yes, he should get a lot of help... 45 years or so should allow some.

As for the boy, I hope he isn't too damaged to recover... kids who are not wanted from the beginning get set up for a miserble life, and sometimes the best intentions and traditional help don't help at all. At least there' hope.

So very sad.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Yes, he should pay a big price, and yes, he should get a lot of help... 45 years or so should allow some.
I don't have an answer and I'm not arguing for a different solution. Frankly, it's my impression that people at this stage missed the boat when it was in and there's no second chance. Prison isn't going to change anything except keeping him off the street. He'll meet a lot more like himself there. It's like punishing a rabid dog for biting someone. It's pointless, but you can't let him run around. It's the world we live in.

My only answer is to try to balance the equation by doing acts of kindness when you can.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

TonyHiggins wrote:
I don't have an answer and I'm not arguing for a different solution. Frankly, it's my impression that people at this stage missed the boat when it was in and there's no second chance. Prison isn't going to change anything except keeping him off the street. He'll meet a lot more like himself there. It's like punishing a rabid dog for biting someone. It's pointless, but you can't let him run around. It's the world we live in.

My only answer is to try to balance the equation by doing acts of kindness when you can.
Tony
I totally agree with you. I've experienced the 'rabid dog' thing, in fact, having to put down a favorite, long time family dog because he suddenly tried to take my daughter's throat out (not something she'd brought about by any mistreatment... we were there when it happened... twice!) Did we fully understand what had happened? No. Did we know that he could not be allowed around children, or even adults again? Did we know that 'treatment' wasn't going to help him?... yes... sadly... yes.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com

Post by Guest »

He needs the farmers big pliers ...ahem then he could not be running about jumping teenage girls.

He wll last about a month inside before he gets a taste of American justice..
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:x

Shoot him.
End of problem.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Nah, shootin's too good fer him. Let him be bubba's girlfriend in the big house for a few decades.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Bah! I didn't hit submit twice, I swear!
Last edited by OutOfBreath on Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
satyricon234

Post by satyricon234 »

amar wrote:that's one of the saddest news articles i've ever read.
Way too sad. I couldn't finish the first paragraph. I don't have kids but I cannot imagine treating your own flesh and blood that way.