"Cool Hand Luke" and other Favorites

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jonharl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

"Cool Hand Luke" and other Favorites

Post by jonharl »

Since we've got a good thread going about TV shows I just wanted to say I think "Cool Hand Luke" was just the best. The 50 eggs, mirrored glasses and "we've got a failure to comunicate". Who can tell me the name of the actor that played the warden. Also don't forget George Kennedy as Luke's prison buddy.
I saw "Bourne Supremecy" at the 1:45 show. Wow! What a car chase! Reminds of two other favorites - "Bullitt" and "The French Connection" ("do you pick your feet?") I would go see Bourne Supremecy, it's a good sequel to Bourne Identity.
Also, The Great Escape with Steve McQueen and The Dirty Dozen with Lee Marvin. Great stuff. Especially Jim Brown running across the roof dropping grenades in the vents, classic.
I'm sure you can see a theme in the kind of movies I like. Anybody else got some favorites?
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Strother Martin played the warden. Wonderful movie.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

We're on the same wave length tonight Jon. Good old Strother Martin. Didn't George Kennedy win a supporting actor Oscar for that portrayal? The egg-eating scene was one of the best in filmdom. Wasn't that, "Do you pick your toes in Poughkipsie?"

Those were great movies with great car chases. I hate however movies where car chases are used as filler for an otherwise poor movie lacking in character development, etc. Gone in Sixty Seconds was a recent pretty good flick with all sorts of car chases. "What do you like better, stealing cars or sex?" Anjolina Jolie somehow moved me with that...

Another good genre with some recent entries - "The Heist" (remake), "The Score"... Or how about movies like "The Game" (Michael Douglas and Sean Penn) and "House of Games." And speaking of Michael Douglas, I really enjoy movies like "Black Rain."

How bout some esoterica and cult stuff - Jim Jarmusch's "Ghost Dog, Way of the Samurai" or Jodorowsky's "El Topo"?

Philo

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Akira Kurosawa's Ran. Especially the huge battle scene. And what was the name of that Lee Marvin movie where he was stranded with a Japanese enemy soldier on a Pacific island?
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Remember the Lee Marvin Pacific island movie, but not the name.
Best Lee Marvin movie and perhaps one of the best but little known westerns: Monte Walsh ...think it was made in about 1971, 1972. If you have an appreciation for real westerns, not Hollywood westerns, this movie will tear your heart out.

Susan
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Well, that would be "Hell in the Pacific" with Toshiro Mifune; riveting.
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Bingo! Other Lee Marvin movies, on more of a comic vain, are Cat Balou and Paint Your Wagon. And speaking of westerns how about The Magnificent Seven with Yul Brenner and James Coburn as a knife thrower. James duel against the haughty gunslinger was just the best.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

You're obviously not a girlie-man, Jon. How can you possibly talk about the Magnificent Seven and not mention Steve McQueen?!?!?

Better yet, Steve McQueen in Nevada Smith. *sigh*
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

e're on the same wave length tonight Jon. Good old Strother Martin. Didn't George Kennedy win a supporting actor Oscar for that portrayal? The egg-eating scene was one of the best in filmdom. Wasn't that, "Do you pick your toes in Poughkipsie?"

Those were great movies with great car chases. I hate however movies where car chases are used as filler for an otherwise poor movie lacking in character development, etc. Gone in Sixty Seconds was a recent pretty good flick with all sorts of car chases. "What do you like better, stealing cars or sex?" Anjolina Jolie somehow moved me with that...

Another good genre with some recent entries - "The Heist" (remake), "The Score"... Or how about movies like "The Game" (Michael Douglas and Sean Penn) and "House of Games." And speaking of Michael Douglas, I really enjoy movies like "Black Rain."

How bout some esoterica and cult stuff - Jim Jarmusch's "Ghost Dog, Way of the Samurai" or Jodorowsky's "El Topo"?
Dang it Phil, Now you got me started. (This'll cost me practice time.)

The second Matrix had a great car chase scene.

I loved The Game and Black Rain. Check out The Hunted with (Highlander star- blanking name) for more samurai action in modern Japan. (Verrry bloody.) Oh yeah, The Yakuza with Robert Mitchem. Memento was fabulous for a weird ride.

Loved Ghost Dog. Him watching the little Asian guy with the groceries getting mugged and laying some punches into the mugger- good stuff. I heard a good interview with Jarmuch on Fresh Air, public radio about making the movie and the samurai handbook the guy quoted from, which is real. Reminds me, check out Ghost in the Shell, a Japanese anime. The cyborg cop hero is trying to figure out if she's real or created, whether her memories are real or implanted. Unbelieveable graphics.

Also track down Jarmuch's older films: Stranger than Paradise, Down by Law. Hilarious in a twisted way. Both in black and white. And speaking of my favorite twisted movie: Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills. The houseboys for two wealthy neighboring women make a bet to see who can nail the other's boss first or something like that.

Tell me about El Topo. Haven't seen it.
Tony
(Now, I'm going upstairs to practice.)
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

I'm just so enamored with knives that's all I could think about when I was a kid. Steve McQueen is really awesome. Bullitt is one of my all time favorite movies.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Kelly's Heroes, with a cast of thousands....uh...er..O.K., tens. Favorite characters? Donald Sutherland as 'OddBall', Don Rickles as 'CrapGame'.

A bank heist during the middle of the second world war, behind enemy lines, with a bunch of misfits....folks, they don't write 'em much like this anymore. :D
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:....folks, they don't write 'em much like this anymore. :D
Thank goodness. I didn't care for Kelly's Heroes - a rip-off of The Dirty Dozen.

How about Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...On the Waterfront...
To Kill a Mockingbird... Stagecoach... Red River... The Outcasts... Guns of Navarrone...

Are we going for a specific genre here? Or just stuff we like?

Susan
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Susan, I'm in love..we could see movies together forever...ok, movies get me excited. Remember the days when you could sit through the same movie in a theater twice through? I did that for Butch and Sundance. IMHO, On the Waterfront is the greatest American movie ever made. To Kill a Mockingbird did justice to a great book. Red River may be my favorite western.

Jon, how bout the original [Magnificent] Seven Samurai by Kurasowa.

Tony - I was worried about practice time too until I read the other whistle sale thread and was so aghast at someone parting with a Bflat WW, that I pulled mine out and played for a half hour - still the best bang for the buck in the Bflat category!

Philo
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Phil, of course I forgot "The Magnificent Seven was patterned after a Kurosawa film. Does anybody know the name of the Japanese movie with the blind samurai? I mean this is really out there. It was in black and white with subtitles.
I wish we all lived close enough to have a regular movie night. We'd definately watch Fawlty Tower videos.
Yes Susan this is about favorites not just testosterone. For example The Pink Panther with Peter Sellers. What was his oriental karate partner's name?
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Kato.