Branded?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

TonyHiggins wrote:Before this thread crosses the event horizon of page 2, I just wanted to comment on our perception as kids (pre-70's) of the Indians as the bad guys. I'm guessing the turnaround came with Little Big Man (Dustin Hoffman). It seemed unbelieveable that the US Cavalry would do such things. I heard that film was referring to the My Lai massacre in Viet Nam. A lot of things were changing back then. How will we see ourselves as we are today 20 or 30 yrs from now?
Tony
The Indians weren't always the bad guys. I thought Tonto was very cool. And on the tv series Daniel Boone, there was Mingo. At least some of us identified with the Indians on tv westerns. Maybe it has something to do with how we grew up.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

Sure. I thought those guys were cool, too. But, I also recall a scene from Daniel Boone where they're all lined up on the top of the fort shooting at attacking Indians. I had a bad dream about that. I happened, by pure chance, to read the biography of Daniel Boone the summer before the tv show came on. It was mesmerizing to me. (I was going into the fourth grade.) There's a scene where Boone is given a head start by the Indians to run for his life. He escapes by submerging himself in a river or something and breathing through a reed. I was jumping out of my skin when I saw it was about to become a tv show. The book mentioned that his son was killed in an Indian attack on their settlement. I have a friend, Don Boone, who's a descendant of Dan'l. He told me his uncle went back to Kentucky to visit and was treated like royalty.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Remember Pahoo in Yancy Derringer? The Indian sidekick with a sawed off in a backsling holster.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

PhilO wrote:Remember Pahoo in Yancy Derringer? The Indian sidekick with a sawed off in a backsling holster.
Ya got me there. I have no idea.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Five pages and nobody mentioned Bat Masterson, or the Wild, Wild West.
Or my favorite horse opera, Gunsmoke.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I like to listen to Gunsmoke, Dr. Sixgun (and all the other old radio shows) on the internet.

http://www.otrnow.com
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Oh, yeah.
Well, there was your big chance to mention them. Good job.
Did Bat Masterson carry a derringer? How did they come up with a name like 'Bat?'
Tony
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

TonyHiggins wrote:
Oh, yeah.
Well, there was your big chance to mention them. Good job.
Did Bat Masterson carry a derringer? How did they come up with a name like 'Bat?'
Tony
I have some dim memory that it was short for Bartholemew. I know, you'd expect it to be Bart.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

"He wore a cane and derby hat, they call him Bat, Bat Masterson."

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
satyricon234

Post by satyricon234 »

You might try and catch a rerun of Branded on television. Channel Six, here sometimes runs it on Saturday nights, after the news.
You should probably get out of Oklahoma more. Some other parts of the country use different channel numbers for the same networks. :lol: :lol:

Yes, Gunsmoke is one of my all time favorites. Did you know that William Conrad played Matt Dillon on the radio version?
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:)
William Conrad always looked better on Radio.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Many western movies and tv series (including some Gunsmoke episodes, Death Valley Days, and many more) were filmed around the town where I grew up in southern Utah. Six years ago the town came up with the idea of honoring all the stars of those westerns - Western Legends Roundup. It's really become quite a fun event. The movie folks are always glad to come to Kanab and get fussed over for a week - get interviewed, pictures taken, give autographs. I went two years ago when they were honoring Robert Fuller (remember Laramie?), Alex Cord (oh, mama!), Peter Brown (another studly dude), and others. Here's the link for this year's honorees - those still around nearly always come and really enjoy reliving the golden days of westerns. I'm going again this year - looking forward to it!

http://www.westernlegendsround-up.com/h ... heros.html

Susan
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

(remember Laramie?)
I busted out my own two front teeth in either Laramie or Cheyenne once. First time I ever got knocked out. Matter of fact, I think it was the only time.
Tony
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

satyricon234 wrote:
You might try and catch a rerun of Branded on television. Channel Six, here sometimes runs it on Saturday nights, after the news.
You should probably get out of Oklahoma more. Some other parts of the country use different channel numbers for the same networks. :lol: :lol:
Heh heh, yeah. Well, Channel Six is a CBS affiliate, but it wasn't a network broadcast, the reruns are syndicated or something.
Reasonable person
Walden