Hammered Dulcimer Questions

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hammered Dulcimer Questions

Post by gonzo914 »

Every few years or so for the last twenty years, I've developed a hankering to learn to play a hammered dulcimer. The last time was a tad more than two years ago, and I fended it off by buying a whistle instead. Whistles, after all, are much cheaper than hammered dulcimers, although several boxes of whistles aren't. That urge is beginning to force itself upon me again, and this time I might actually save my allowance until I can get one. I think I'd like to get an instrument that allows me to breathe whenever I want.

I've been snooping around the internet, and now I have a few questions for you hammered dulcimer folks.

1. Can I play a goodly number of standard garden variety whistle tunes on a 12/11 or 13/12 dulcimer? It looks like they'll both go all to just a note shy of that third D. Is that correct? Am I reading the tuning diagrams correctly? Are there playability issues beyond simply the range that should be taken into consideration?

2. I do not want to pop $700.00 or more for something at which I could very well suck outright, but I've found a couple in the $300.00 range that look as though they would be appropriate -- Rick Thum's 13/12 Meadowlark, and the TK OBrien 12/11, both of which seem to be reasonably priced and are not, as far as I have been able to tell, made from goat bones and bamboo in a cave in Pakistan. Can anyone comment on either of these two dulcimers?

3. Other suggestions in the under $400 range would be appreciated as well.

Thanking you for your assistance in this matter, I have the honor to remain, as always,

Yr. Hmbl. Srvnt.,
gonzo
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I suspect a hammered dulcimer in that price range isn't going to be any great shakes. If you're going to go on the cheap, I would recommend a kit. I built a Hughes Dulcimer Company kit many years ago that wasn't half bad. Their 15/14 is under $300. The only problem with it was that it had incredible sustain, so we replaced the metal wire string supports with nylon, which improved things considerably. IIRC, this is strung in a non-standard way.

MusicMaker's kits are generally much better. They have a 17/16 kit for $450 and a 12/11 kit for $325. I haven't built their hammered dulcimer kit, but have built a few harps from their kits, and I love them. In an "I can't play worth crap" way.

BTW, I can't play the HD worth crap either, so take any advice from me with a grain of salt.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Gonzo,

The most informative site to check out is http://www.everythingdulcimer.com you can go on the forum and ask questions. Search the archives to see what people have said about their own dulcimers. It's a great friendly place and some of the people over there are over here too. :)

I have a Rick Thum 16/16. I don't think I would have been happy with a smaller dulcimer. Some people tell you to start on a small one but most people after playing for a little while grow into the large one. Then you have the hassle of trying to sell the smaller one so you can get the big one. My Thum has a few chromatic notes and an extra low A note that I love. I am not sure how many octaves you can get from a 12/11 or a 13/12. My Dulcimer is considered a diatonic instrument with a range from "A" below middle "C" to "E" two octaves above middle "C." This range is adequate for fiddle tunes, ballads and hymns. I do have a few chromatic notes due to a little bridge at the top that can be removed if the chromatics aren't desired. I have used them on occasion. I have been playing for just a little over 3 years. I had Rick put in handcarved hummingbird sound holes my friends father carved for me. Here is the link to Ricks site. http://www.rthum.com/

I can play all of the tunes and songs that I play on my whistles, on my dulcimer. As a matter of fact, I got better playing my dulcimer after I got my whistles. It seems like I can learn a tune on my whistles and transfer it over to my dulcimer much easier than I can the other way around.

Best of luck with which ever dulcimer you choose. It's a wonderful versatile instrument! Oh yeah! The dulcimer festivals are one of the best parts of playing a dulcimer! You can learn so much in such a short time.

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
missy

Post by missy »

just want to second Kathy's http://www.everythingdulcimer.com suggestion. I own a Masterworks Ultralight 14/15 (weight is another important consideration in hammered dulcimers!) but don't play it enough to give "advice". I know Rick personnally, however, and his dulcimers are very good quality.

Now - if you want to play mountain dulcimer, JUST ASK!!! :D

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I have two dulcimers now, and have had five different ones in my time. My 11/12 Songbird gets the most play time, as it is easiest to tune, lightest to carry and least expensive to replace. I have had no problem reselling dulcimers, and woud recommend that you get something on the low end to be sure you actually want to learn to tune and play it before sinking large amounts into the perfect (for you) instrument.

I've played Meadowlarks, and liked them.

Playing it is relatively easy. TUNING it can drive you to distraction. Pipers have it easy compared to HD players. If things out of tune drive you crazy. . .regardless, fewer strings for a novice is best.

My 'big box' is a Dana Hamilton 13/12. During the making of it, Dana loaned me a truly phenomenal dulcimer made 'in under 20 hours, for under 20 bucks'. It was (at the time) unfinished, had cracks and holes, rough edges and a great sound and stable tuning.

Best of luck!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Have you given some thought to, perhaps, building your own? It will cost you considerably less cash-ola, begin a hobby, and if it turns out good but you decide it is not for you, you could always sell it at a profit. :D

There are also kits that one can purchase, with all the wood pre-cut and the hardware (pins) ready for assembly. Just a thought, or two. :D

http://www.craggymtnmusic.com/dulcimer_kits.html
eskin

Post by eskin »

I'm surprised nobody has recommended a Dusty Strings D10... Probably more expensive than you're range, but well worth the extra $$$. I have one, think it has a wonderful sound, and it doesn't have the extended sustain of some of the other models being mentioned. It really depends on what kind of music you're planning on playing. The long sustain type instruments like the Masterworks, I think are great for aires and full harp style arrangements. I find those instruments get very muddy when playing fiddle tunes, but that's just my personal preference.

I've always been a great fan of the Dusty Strings instruments, own 3 of them (D10, D500, Dulcetta)

Michael
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

How about getting a plain dulcimer and getting hammered befor playing it?
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
missy

Post by missy »

"How about getting a plain dulcimer and getting hammered befor playing it?"

Hey - vomitbunny - stop telling my secrets!!!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my questions. Even you, vomitb.

The everythingdulcimer site is super -- lots of information there, and while I was fiddling around with it, I somehow also stumbled into this -- http://www.cpmusic.com -- which has a wealth of good dulcimer information plus the sheetmusic for some pretty good tunes.

With all of this, I've got plenty of information now to work through and digest, plus some new tunes to fiddle around with. Meanwhile, I shall start saving my allowance, or maybe polishing up my Christmas whining.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Good luck with your decision and your whining! :lol: I hope we see you over on ED. :D

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~