NOT from "The Onion". From Reuters.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I think some use body piercing / suspension as a way of attaining an altered state of consciousness, and I do believe it would work, at least once your body got over the initial shock / pain of the piercing itself.

It seems to me endorphins are the goal, here.

However, you can achieve such a mental state by meditation--or even by whistle playing!--with no blood, no hooks, and no pain. Or by prayer. Or by being aroused. Or from a runners' high.

A very traditional way to get in such a state--but not one I recommend--involves drinking large amounts of alcoholic beverage. I prefer small amounts, myself, as I can get in enough trouble when cold sober.

--James
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

caniadafallon wrote:I figure that people probably got hooked on this (ba-dum-bum) from watching Mad Mad House on SciFi, with Art the 'Modern Primitive'. Any time main stream gets a hold of things they become a fad... then they sort of fade away. You can see Art here

I can't quite imagine doing this myself, but to each his or her own! :)

Best,
Ad
Hmm. I never did understand Modern Art.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
caniadafallon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by caniadafallon »

:lol: , Ava!

James, from what I understand you are correct about the altered state of consciousness... myself, I much prefer meditation without the pain. ;) Although some of the yoga positions I try to get myself into seem to kind of be along the lines of transcendance through pain. :-P

~Ad