Useful information for foreigners visiting Britain

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

Quite so.

Time to own up. As you blasted colonials saw fit to mangle our language beyond recognition, we decided in the 1980s that we would, henceforth, make it up as we went along in an effort to confound your evil linguistic meddling.

Another precaution we took was to ensure that no English person born after 1965 would know the correct usage of who/whom, thus leading English(ish)-speaking foreigners to falsely suppose that they know the language better than we do. False sense of security and all that.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I dunno. Maybe because it's a Virtual Monday and I had a heavy long weekend my sense of humour is at a low ebb...but I didn't find the original post amusing at all. Rather crude, to be honest. :roll:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

GaryKelly wrote:I dunno. Maybe because it's a Virtual Monday and I had a heavy long weekend my sense of humour is at a low ebb...but I didn't find the original post amusing at all. Rather crude, to be honest. :roll:
but a smilie jumping up and down outside a toilet door clutching its crotch ISN'T lavatory humour?? :roll:
Last edited by Martin Milner on Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tres

Post by Tres »

All this information is helpful, but I still can't figure out why the Brits pronounce Aluminum "Alyoominium"? :boggle:

Tres
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Tres wrote:All this information is helpful, but I still can't figure out why the Brits pronounce Aluminum "Alyoominium"? :boggle:

Tres
so it rhymes with Sodum, Potassum, Cadmum, Uranum etc.
Tres

Post by Tres »

buddhu wrote:Another precaution we took was to ensure that no English person born after 1965 would know the correct usage of who/whom, thus leading English(ish)-speaking foreigners to falsely suppose that they know the language better than we do. False sense of security and all that.
Lucky for me I was born in 1964!

Tres
Tres

Post by Tres »

Martin Milner wrote:
Tres wrote:All this information is helpful, but I still can't figure out why the Brits pronounce Aluminum "Alyoominium"? :boggle:

Tres
so it rhymes with Sodum, Potassum, Cadmum, Uranum etc.
Ah- I see. For a while I thought that the "Alyoominium" crown needed to have their "cranums" examined!

Tres
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

:lol:

Take an opossium
Yo-ho and a bottle of rum
Rhyme with delirum
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Martin Milner wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:I dunno. Maybe because it's a Virtual Monday and I had a heavy long weekend my sense of humour is at a low ebb...but I didn't find the original post amusing at all. Rather crude, to be honest. :roll:
but a smilie jumping up and down outside a toilet door clutching its crotch ISN'T lavatory humour?? :roll:
Well, there's clearly a difference between my idea of harmless humour and yours.

BSE isn't funny in Wiltshire, though clearly it rates a giggle in London. So while you're busy chortling away at the notion of tourists asking for a Sinn Fein stamp in their passports or telling police officers they wish to commit acts of Gross Indecency in public lavatories, I'll stick with my harmless little smiley, ta very bloody much.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

GaryKelly wrote:...
Well, there's clearly a difference between my idea of harmless humour and yours.

BSE isn't funny in Wiltshire, though clearly it rates a giggle in London...
Woh... Calm down, Gary. The original post was a little crude, although I think it opened up the way for a bit of good-natured teasing about the way our understandings of the "same language" vary.

BSE isn't funny anywhere. I haven't always been a vegetarian, and to be blunt BSE scares the holy sh*t out of me. That doesn't mean it's off-limits for jokers though. Humour can be a defence against fear - or at east an attempt at defence.

IMHO you might have been just a tad harsh there, mate.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Ignore me... I'm having a generally bad day all 'round and will evict meself from the public gaze until normal service resumes...
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

GaryKelly wrote:Ignore me... I'm having a generally bad day all 'round and will evict meself from the public gaze until normal service resumes...
I know the feeling. Had a brilliant bank holiday weekend, but this morning I felt my good mood fraying with every mile closer to the office...

Doh.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Okay, buddhu what's a "twitcher?" I just read it on a wonderful site I found and a mahvelous writer is describing a friend as a "bit of a twitcher." ( ;) )

Susan
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

susnfx wrote:Okay, buddhu what's a "twitcher?" I just read it on a wonderful site I found and a mahvelous writer is describing a friend as a "bit of a twitcher." ( ;) )

Susan
Oy, behave yerself! :P

(Susan seems to have followed the link in my signature to my kingswalden.com site :oops: )

"Twitcher" is a genuine British term (although probably used elsewhere also, for all I know). It means a birdwatcher - particularly one who travels in the hope of seeing uncommon seasonal/migratory/transient species.

I snapped a pic of a bird in the village where I live, but unfortunately I am an absolute ornithological ignoramus, and could not identify it. My friend, fortunately for me, is an obsessive bird enthusiast, and sussed it at a glance.

The stereotypical American tourist would love my neighbourhood. It is a (very) small English country village pretty much owned by a "Sir" (who is technically my next door neighbour :o as well as my landlord). The late Queen Mother's family home was in one of the villages next to ours. Our village church has a stained glass window by William Morris. There is no street lighting, no broadband, no cable or digital TV and no mains gas supply.

Time travel occurs as one enters the village.

The local dialect is not so much slang, more a kind of Olde English... :wink:
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I'm not a stereotypical American tourist for the main reason that the typical American tourist actually has the money to tour somewhere. Nevertheless, I'd certainly put King'sWalden on my list of "must see" areas. It sounds charming - except for the absence of street lighting which just sounds dangerous. The website is great. I actually looked at your websites because I was intrigued by the acrylic plates - didn't know what they could be. Private companies can print and distribute license plates in the UK? Only the government does it here.