Which TV character should be bounced off a wall?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

lyrick wrote:Um... maybe I'm missing something, but if you bounced your TV off the wall, wouldn't that solve the whole problem here? (I don't have a TV, so I can't do it.)
Yes, that would seem the obvious solution. But, like alcohol, TV taken in moderate doses is not harmful and can actually be good for you. So the solution as I see it is not total abstinence (or prohibition, look what that did for alcohol) but moderation and restraint and developing an interest or hobby that engages your interest. Maybe music! :P
Mike
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

I vote for Anna Nicole and Adam Sandler. Although I sometimes have to stop when flipping by Anna, it's like a train wreck- I just can't look away it's so horrifying. Adam just gets on my nerves.

Dr. Gene Scott! I haven't seen him since college when we referred to him as Reverend Six Pack..... I can't remember why, I don't think he drinks on the show, it must have been me!
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

I have an Idea. I think we should bounce George W. Bush off of a wall. He's a charactor and he's always on TV. Since the Berlin wall is "down" the only other suitable wall I can think of is the Great wall of China. Do you think our fellow wood wind enthusiests in China would let us use their venerable wall?
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

The Weekenders wrote:Well, we like Monk a lot here at Whistler's Lair so I disagree with you guys. We find it funny more than anything. The real detective shows have better intricacies.

But I posted to say that Kirstie Alley has probably become frightening enough to become popular with the gays, like Judy Garland. I think the term used to be "fag hag."

She makes truly scary tv commercials that make me cringe and seek cover. She has a little bit of the instability of Judy, but a lot more Divine these days.

LOL :lol: You got that right! :thumbsup:

Although Divine in Hairspray as Edna(I think it was) Turnblat was funnier than Kirstie Alley EVER even wished she could be.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

sandpiper wrote:I vote for Anna Nicole and Adam Sandler. Although I sometimes have to stop when flipping by Anna, it's like a train wreck- I just can't look away it's so horrifying. Adam just gets on my nerves.

Dr. Gene Scott! I haven't seen him since college when we referred to him as Reverend Six Pack..... I can't remember why, I don't think he drinks on the show, it must have been me!
Amen on Smith and Sandler. Although a couple of his movies had funny script gags, he makes me gag. His fame as Operaman on SNL was inexplicable, other than the Andy Kaufman "nervous laughter" phenomena.

Smith is bizarre.

Yeah, I don't think Scott ever drank on camera but his demeanor was that of post-war suburban California, a vacation Winnebago, the neighborhood "character" and brat kids in DeMolay and Job's Daughters. And yes, six-packs in Aluminum cans (he once wore one of those knit-caps from beer cans on camera) and no doubt, whisky.

Deep in my heart, I appreciate the guy way more than the silk-suit phonies from their Crystal Cities etc. Scott's style is continuous revival meeting. The acolytes might be a bit odd, though.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

mcbob wrote:we pulled the pin on television after 9/11, too much footage of the tragedy set to music; some horrific music video. It was all too much.
Our household is better for it.
my dear mcbob, sorry to be bitchy but your little signature is not down to bono but comes from the great groucho marx. trust bono to rip off the dead
Steven

Post by Steven »

lyrick wrote:Um... maybe I'm missing something, but if you bounced your TV off the wall, wouldn't that solve the whole problem here? (I don't have a TV, so I can't do it.)
Not a good idea lyrick. Just think of the damage to the wall!!

:lol:
Steven
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

What about TV ads? They're an *cough*art form*cough* in their own right, sorta like briefer poems set against the comparatively epic bloat of the programs which they break into easier-to-swallow chunks as our brains sizzle into smaller and smaller knots of ADD and the parade of advertisement theater threatens to surround the smallening programs in question until the program becomes the intermission in the final analysis but do we really notice that or simply channel-surf in a smoldering pique until either a suitable "program" or an appropriately mesmerising "advertisement" catches us like poor fish on a hook baited with dross and the line dividing "program" and "advertisement" becomes increasingly blurred as the photons dance and gibber willy-nilly for our attention and we melt amoeba-like into our respective couches with our beloved munchies at the ready?

That's my vote for ad characters. I give you Snuggle. A stake through *ITS* heart would warm mine. Snuggle is EVIL. Look into the eyes...but at your peril.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Gene Scott!!! I remember outlandish hats and fur coats on the guy. I used to think he must be boiling under the camera lights. I loved it when he would yell at people in his audience for falling asleep. (It may have been the camera crew.)

Weeks, when are you going to come up with your 'mind bending' tag line? Oh yeah, when you think of one. :roll:
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

The Weekenders wrote:
sandpiper wrote:I vote for Anna Nicole and Adam Sandler. Although I sometimes have to stop when flipping by Anna, it's like a train wreck- I just can't look away it's so horrifying. Adam just gets on my nerves.

Deep in my heart, I appreciate the guy way more than the silk-suit phonies from their Crystal Cities etc. Scott's style is continuous revival meeting. The acolytes might be a bit odd, though.

I agree with you there... I used to live near Dallas and there were a crop of them, fake, face lifted, freaks. Taking advantage and making tons of profit for themselves. Scott at least is what he is... odd and ornery.

Sandpiper
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Colin wrote:There are 44 replies to this thread. I can't help thinking there would have
been considerably fewer if the subject had been 'Which TV characters
should NOT be bounced off a wall?'
As satellite and cable TV become more common it seems the more
channels I have access to the fewer I actually want to watch ...

Colin
I generally dislike all sitcoms and would shake most of the characters until some sense reality dawned on them. There is only one exception that comes to mind that I wouldn't want to bounce of the wall and besides it would be redundent. Mork from Ork.

My channel surfing habits run to Home and Garden, DIY, Discovery, and History channels. I'd rather learn how to build or grow something or take the longer view of history.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.