What do you call a person

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rkottke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What do you call a person

Post by rkottke »

:) What do you call a person who loves the Tin Whistle (both to play and to listen), loves the Irish language, loves the Guinness, and doesn't have a bit of Celtic, let alone Irish ancestry?

Lucky?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Interested (and occassionally drunk, depending on HOW MUCH you like that Guinness).

Seriously, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Lots of people are interested in cultures that they're not personally descended from.

Hey, whatever lights your candle!

:-)
Steven
jbarter

Re: OT: What do you call a person

Post by jbarter »

rkottke wrote::) What do you call a person who loves the Tin Whistle (both to play and to listen), loves the Irish language, loves the Guinness, and doesn't have a bit of Celtic, let alone Irish ancestry?

Lucky?
Yank. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
missy

Post by missy »

ah - but if you have any European heritage, you may have some Celtic in you. They moved through most of Europe before getting to the coast (I love Gallician music - and I know I probably spelled that incorrectly).

All of my "background" is Black Forest area of Germany, but who's to say that some Celt didn't like the area thousands of years ago and stayed there???? :D

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I dunno. I *might* be 1/32 Irish if that, but I still like the music. I don't think it really matters. I also have an interest in Japanese pop culture, but I know for a fact that I'm not even remotely Japanese. I've known a few Japanese people and none of them seemed offended by my interest in Anime and such, most of them were amused by it if anything.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

Though I don't know all branches of my ancestery thoroughly, I'd feel awfully silly calling myself "Irish" (what Celtic ancestry I can prove is Welsh - but I'd feel just as silly calling myself "Welsh"). I'm an American, and my family has been here long enough (and intermarried enough) that I've probably got most countries in northern and western Europe somewhere in the family tree. I wasn't aware that I had to produce a certified genealogical certificate before I could appreciate a body of music or literature.

I like Irish music. And I play it, however badly. I certainly don't try to *dictate* what The Music is or isn't. If someone wants to, they're free to do so (and I'm free to ignore them if I disagree). Yes, it's worth preserving - but it's a living tradition, and it evolves over time. The "tradition" is somehat self-referential; it's what the majority of traditional musicians *accept* as traditional.

Consider the instruments added to "the tradition" in the last couple of centuries - flute, button accordion, concertina, bouzouki, and our beloved tinwhistle. Go back a century more, and add the pipes to the list - apparently, the bellows-blown (rather than mouth-blown) pipes appeared in the early 18th century. Or the music itself - *reels* go back only a couple of centuries, and probably were brought in from Scotland.

Didn't mean to write a screed - sorry! - but this "If you aren't X you can't possibly understand it" sillyness, whether in music, politics, or religion, annoys me.

Dana (who, truth be known, loves both the pure drop and Flook)
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

Celtophile?
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

antstastegood wrote:Celtophile?
Ants beat me to it! Yep, you're a Celtophile.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Celtophilius:
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

An Irish paramecium?
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

TelegramSam wrote:An Irish paramecium?
Cultured from an Irish sock?
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

Actually, that looks bacterial.
nashradus

Post by nashradus »

rkottke wrote::) What do you call a person who loves the Tin Whistle (both to play and to listen), loves the Irish language, loves the Guinness, and doesn't have a bit of Celtic, let alone Irish ancestry?

Lucky?
I'd call him/her a Tin-whistle-loving-Irish-language-loving Guiness lover I suppose. The rest doesn't matter :D. I fall in that category too.

~nash
Cariad

Post by Cariad »

Lucky?
Late for breakfast - after all that guiness! :lol:
emmline

Post by emmline »

Rod Sprague wrote:Actually, that looks bacterial.
naw...protozoal. (so the paramecium guess isn't too far off.)

bacteria have no flagellae, do they?