help put a name to a piece of classical music

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
markv
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

help put a name to a piece of classical music

Post by markv »

I heard part of "Five Days, Five nights" by Dmitri Shostakovich on the radio the other night and it reminded me of a score I had heard at a cocert when I was in high school.

Similar to Five days, Five nights it was about the bombing of Dresden during WWII. The orchestration however was very different. I remember it being very moving and vivid since the various instruments played different roles that were not neccessarily musical. The bass section (tubas) were playing a drone that represented the bombers overhead. The flutes or piccalos played the high whine of incoming bombs etc. on top of the music. It stayed in my mind because the person I went to the concert with was a veteran and at the end he had tears in his eyes. It was also a physically powerfull piece.

I had totally forgoten the name of the piece and if anyone has any ideas on what it may have been please post or leave me a PM. The main local library has a very complete collection and should have it or can get it so I can check out suggestions and see if they were correct.

Any help appreciated.

Mark V.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

I remember that piece. The firebombing of dresden. But I don't remember what it was called.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Dresden in Memoriam?
by Dan Bukvich?
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Sounds better than "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima," which was all i could come up with. Wrong city, right war, yet another horror ... sigh.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cai

Post by Cai »

Yeah... I'm pretty sure I played the piece you're thinking of in high school. Lots of unusual notation we had to figure out and such. But very moving. A little Googling turned up this: Symphony No. 1 (In Memoriam, Dresden, 1945).
markv

Post by markv »

Cai wrote:Yeah... I'm pretty sure I played the piece you're thinking of in high school. Lots of unusual notation we had to figure out and such. But very moving. A little Googling turned up this: Symphony No. 1 (In Memoriam, Dresden, 1945).
That's the one. Thanks Cai!

Not quite as melodic as I remembered it, but that is the symphony in question. Even a MP3 at the bottom of the page.

Mark V.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton