Consulting the C&F Geek Oracle

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Consulting the C&F Geek Oracle

Post by Dale »

....keeping in mind that I myself am something of a geek...

I have an extra computer, not terribly geriatic, which I would like to make into a Linux machine. If possible, I'd like to download Linux, burn into a CD, and then use this burned CD to install Linux on the extra computer. But, I just don't know my way around the various Linux distributions. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Dale
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Okay, The real hardliners are going to shoot me down over these comments but they have to realize that this is still far better than Microsoft.

I was going to send this directly to Dale and avoid posts from "extremists" geeks saying that the best operating system requires a "Rocket Scientist" Installation and 10 jillion bucks of hardware. So, oh well - let them burn off the excess energy.... Here are my comments.

I've been looking into Linux as well. I currently use 98SE and I detest XP. There is a Windows look-alike package called "Lindows" <url>http://www.lindows.com</url>
It's a nice stabil linux version that has the feel like Microsoft stuff without the crashing. They also have Office type package that includes a Spreadsheet, Word Processor and some utilities called "Star Office". It has close format compatibility to Microsoft office. The Operating System installs at the lightening fast speed of 8 minutes - Windows takes - what about 40 minutes to install? (PC magazine did a review on this and confirmed the stated installation time - unbelievable)

It's cheap, Star Office $75, Lindows Operating System $59 - That's pretty good.
I'm saving up to get another computer to put this on, I think they have a bundled price with the Office and OS together. Their browser has some built-in features include configurable pop-up killer.

Also, I've heard somewhere to avoid buying Linux versions from companies that are having disputes with SCO. (I don't know what versions if refers to but Lindows is not in that list) If you do, you might have to pay out more money after some intellectual rights lawsuit that going on.
Last edited by Daniel_Bingamon on Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I purchased Mandrake some years ago, EZ install, etc... It is real easy to install RPMs from RedHat.

Before that, I had RedHat, early version. Not bad but didnt feel calling up guru experience with a home system after a day of work

Based on my that, I would install Mandrake. Far easier install wizard which is a big deal with the video and sound drivers.

Once properly config'd , the OS is the same.

My bottom-liine suggestion would be a google search of your computer hardware, esp. sound, video, other peripherals, and see if it would work with Linux.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Note on SCO: this is oversimplification for the sake of brevity, but SCO's beef is with the concept of Linux itself, in all its various flavours and distributions.

If you want any kind of Linux it puts you at crossed-corners with SCO.

Even buying a branded UNIX from SCO doesn't make you safe: in one of the strangest and most self-destructive things I've ever seen happen in I.T., SCO is sueing their own customers first.

--James
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

Easy, stable, I've run it for years, recently installed latest version on another system at a friends house and am wowed by it also....

SuSe Linux. SUPER easy install, will auto-detect most hardware for you, as with all linux distros. I've ever used it's rock solid stable.

Gotta love it. Go snag it... it's free. You can run the install directly from their site if you have high speed access or tons of time either way :lol:

otherwise just go pick it up at the store for 59 or 79 bucks (home or pro... I recommend pro... tons of stuff)

Anyway... my $.02 ... I use it everyday (like right now) and love every minute of it. If I need to use windows for some reason ... I just open up a virtual machine under VMWare in linux and boot whatever OS I want. Stability rules.

Take care,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I run Lindows. Very easy to install (10 minutes tops).

Whilst Lindows isn't 'free', the money you pay gives you access to their software repository and "one-click" install-and-run. Very handy for non-techy people.

Like all flavours of Linux though, some hardware (especially legacy stuff on an 'old' machine) may not be supported.

Have a look at http://www.lindows.com/ and if you know what hardware you have (soundcard, graphics card, modem etc) then check the supported hardware pages for compatibility.

hth
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hi, I don’t think you’ll get a simple answer here as everybody have their own favorite distribution. That’s the thing with Linux user’s, the only subject we seem to agree on is that Windows sucks. So when you finally have decided what distribution to get, we can all give you some great advice on what window manager you should use and then …

I cast my vote for Suse as well. Gerry’s suggestion of Lindows could be worth a try if you want something more windowly. I checked it out after our last Linux discussion here at C&F and was quite impressed by the simple installation of additional software.
GaryKelly wrote: Have a look at http://www.lindows.com/ and if you know what hardware you have (soundcard, graphics card, modem etc) then check the supported hardware pages for compatibility.
hth
An alternative way to try Linux and test the hardware compatibility is to down load “Knoppix”. You don’t need to install anything. Just boot from the CD-ROM and you will be running a fully functional Linux system within a few minutes. If you get Knoppix up and running you can be sure of that any other major distribution will work as well.

/MarcusR

Here we go Fancy, just give me a good spanking :twisted:
skh

Post by skh »

(Disclaimer: I work for SUSE.)

Especially with old hardware, I would recommend getting either Knoppix or the SUSE Live eval, or any other Linux evaluation versions that can boot and run from CD. This way, you can easily test if your computer is supported out of the box and which hardware is recognized and autoconfigured. You get the SUSE live eval from http://www.suse.com/us/private/download ... index.html, bottom of the page. (The FTP install mentioned above is also available from that page.)

If it works, consider buying a boxed set (of any distribution) for the manuals and the convenience of having everything on CD, as well as for supporting the cause. Linux is free, but all distributors employ developers to work on the core components to make it better. This development effort goes back to the community. And spending money is of course optional - just consider it ;-)

If it doesn't work with the eval versions, you will probably need some help of a person who knows a little bit about linux. Linux runs on almost everything that has a CPU, but it sometimes needs more help from a human to actually recognize the hardware and find out how to talk to it.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

for what it's worth, my brother swears by redhat. I've never used it though, so I'm going to leave this thread before I make too much of an ass out of myself... :D
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Choice! :D Hard to get used to, isn't it? Here are some links that hopefully will help.

# Pre-installation guides
GNU/Linux pre-installation checklist
The Pre-Installation Help File

# Partitioning
Linux Partition HOWTO
Rute - Partitions, File Systems, Formatting, Mounting
Proper Filesystem Layout

# Choosing a Linux Distribution:
A Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Linux Distribution
LWN distro list
elinux Linux Distributions

# How do I burn a bootable CD in Windows to install Linux?
How To Check MD5sums On A Linux Iso Image
How to Burn ISOs

If you don't want the bother of downloading and burning:
# Cheap CDs
AlmostFreeLinux
Discount Linux CDs
Linux Central
Cheapbytes
TuxCDs
ComputerHelperGuy
CheapISO
Os Heaven

# Good Linux books
Running Linux
Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition

# What Linux software is like such and such Windows program?
The table of equivalents, replacements, analogs of Windows software in Linux

Fedora core 1 and Mandrake have the easiest installs IMHO, but I am hardcore, so I like Gentoo.

The Knoppix live CD is a good hardware checking tool, although it won't boot on one computer I have. I removed the CDROM and loaded it with hard drives and now have a nice little fileserver with lots of storage room for all my music.