Just how lazy an American are you?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How many real jobs have you had?

Never had to work, daddy was a rich capitalist
1%
Only one
10%
Two or three
25%
Four or five
19%
Six or more
43%

Total votes: 67

Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Just how lazy an American are you?

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Roger O'Keefe's US Education question and its ensuing thread has got me to thinking - always a dangerous idea. Anyway, It seems to me that there is a real perception out in the world that America is a place where machines and undocumented aliens do all the work while the locals sit around playing video games and arguing about politics. I'd have loved to live such a life, of course, but in my case I got my first paper route at age twelve and worked at least one job (occasionally more, simultaneously) continuously from then until I retired.

So, just because it's Sunday and I'm bored, I decided to ask just how many of us fit into the stereotype mentioned above.

Bear in mind, I'm asking about actual different occupations, e.g. waiter, accountant, engineer, musician (paid), etc., not simply the same career with different employers. I'm also talking about jobs meant to pay the rent and feed yourself or your dependents - NOT volunteer gigs or Mickey D's as a HS kid.

As a bonus question, how many of you have been (or still are) professional musicians?
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

My first job was 4 years in the Navy. After that I went to college and grad. school for 6 years and didn't work at all...one of the best times of my life. Since grad. school (Library & Information Science) I'm on my 3rd "professional" position, but it looks like this may be the one I'll stick with. I've liked all three and found them enjoyable, so I count myself lucky.

-Brett
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Do you mean at the same time?

But seriously, I lost count at about eight.

Best wishes,
Jerry
sturob

Post by sturob »

What if we haven't had a job yet?

Stuart
emmline

Post by emmline »

I picked "one" for the survey...way back when I was a vet tech. Meanwhile, my husband's store has done well enough that facilitating the lives of 4 children and numerous foundling animals, installing hardwood floors and bathroom tiles (our 10 year renovation scheme,) and being an as-yet-unrewarded author have filled my life adequately. Does that make me a spoiled American? (You wouldn't think so if you'd lived through the 10 year renovation.)
(Daddy, btw, was a pretty successful capitalist.)
Honestly though, I can't think of too many folks I know, except for one cousin of my husband, who haven't had to work in some capacity. I'm the exception among woman relatives in my age group for not rejoining the paid workforce. The irony is...I reek at the domestic arts...but somebody's gotta be there for the next few years.
emmline

Post by emmline »

sturob wrote:What if we haven't had a job yet?

Stuart
Then I guess the question is: Will you need one?
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

emmline wrote:I picked "one" for the survey...way back when I was a vet tech. Meanwhile, my husband's store has done well enough that facilitating the lives of 4 children and numerous foundling animals, installing hardwood floors and bathroom tiles (our 10 year renovation scheme,) and being an as-yet-unrewarded author have filled my life adequately. Does that make me a spoiled American?
I think 'domestic engineeer" legitimately counts as one occupation - at least for those like yourself who did he cooking/cleaning/day care yourself as opposed to leaving it to the cook, maid and nanny. Not sure about the renovation gig, though. That sounds like the guy (or gal) fixing up his/her house on his off-ours - hard work, but still not a paying gig.

I'm like Jerry. I tried to count and ran out of fingers.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I would have answered differently if I'd been able to read your post first, Chuck, and then answer...or if you'd said different "occupations" in the thread title. My answer reflected number of jobs (basically the same occupation).
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

2 jobs, 1 occupation. My 9 year anniversary at my current job is coming up in a couple of weeks. But the world of public health has changed so much in the 9 years I've been a public health nurse that in some ways it's a different occupation - the core principles of communicable disease surveillance, investigation, and prevention, and promoting the wellness of the community are the same, but with emerging diseases and the threat of chemical and bioterrorism (not to mention just your average, ordinary conventional terrorism) not to mention the ever-changing funding, it's definitely a different job than when I started 9 years ago.

So maybe that's another question - if you have the same job but it's not the same job anymore?

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I had a few different jobs before I married, none of which I liked particularly.

Hubby joined the service, and I stayed home with the 4 boys ~ until...

My youngest was one year old. That's when my hubby "shared" his post-retirement ideas with me. :o

Filled with new and monumental ambition (read: fear), I enrolled in the closest university ~ I actually had to take a year of remedial algebra just to qualify for "College Algebra" ~ I began with night courses so that nobody would suffer from Mom being out of the house during the day :lol: (SO I guess I had 2 jobs, right?)

It was fun to discover that I did indeed have quite an adequate brain ~ I excelled in my studies, majored in Biology and went on to earn a Master's in PA studies. The kids survived all of this just fine, and I loved college life ~ probably one of the high points in my experiences.

Now hubby is retired and I work full time for a group of Neurosurgeons ~ I love it!

Mary
missy

Post by missy »

worked two different jobs during high school and college (one during the summers, the other during the winters).
Hired at a "blue chip" company in 1978, three days after graduation from two year college (quit the summer job the day before). Worked for 10 years, stayed home for 8 years and played mom, came back to the same job in 1997 (actually came back as an contract employee in '96 until they could rehire me) and have been here since. Hopefully I can be here for another 7 - 9 years and take early retirement.

Hubby worked for one company for 32 years and took early retirement at age 52.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Paul

Post by Paul »

I am a hard worker. Always have been.
Last edited by Paul on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caj

Re: OT: Just how lazy an American are you?

Post by Caj »

Chuck_Clark wrote: Bear in mind, I'm asking about actual different occupations, e.g. waiter, accountant, engineer, musician (paid), etc., not simply the same career with different employers. I'm also talking about jobs meant to pay the rent and feed yourself or your dependents - NOT volunteer gigs or Mickey D's as a HS kid.
We had no money for college in my family, so each of us kids started a job as early as possible in hopes that a few years of bagging groceries + federal student loans >= tuition at the local state U. I managed to afford a 4-year education with manageable debt by finishing in 3 years.

I'll say this: the federal student loan program is pretty fabulous. I have a feeling that kids in the next generation will not believe that I worked in a grocery store to save up for college.

But let me add that the # of careers has little to do with laziness. # of careers at the same time, now that's a different thing.

Caj
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Messenger in the Empire State Building,
factory work, copy holder, editor,
park maintenence, forestry, taxi driver,
day labor, teacher.....some of it.
Caj

Post by Caj »

Here's another interesting tidbit I read recently: some economists apparently estimate that a good 90% of your American income is social capital.

In this case, "social capital" refers to the extra $$$ you make just by virtue of living in a society that assigns value to your work. For instance, if you work exactly as much in a 3rd-world country as you do in the US, you'll make a lot less money, both in absolute terms and relative to the cost of living and quality of life.

It is reasonable to ask if people in the developed world are therefore prone to laziness, if they can derive so much more wealth from less work.

Caj