Old guy stereolab fan

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Old guy stereolab fan

Post by Dale »

Does anybody else think it's ridiculous that I'm nearly 48 years old and am a fan of Stereolab?

kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

NO!
The other day,I read in the 'Guardian' newspaper(u.k.) about the rise of the 'Fifty pound guy'-so called in retail circles because he will go into a record emporium and spend that amount on a couple of C.D.s,a DVD and a book(usually after finishing work early on a friday afternoon,maybe having a couple of drinks,loosening off his tie-buying said purchases-then trying to justify this to his spouse! :lol: )
'Fifty pound guy is aged 40+,and NOW here's the interesting bit-the 'Fifty pound guys' bought more albums than the 16-24 age group last year.They(sorry Dale,WE :lol:) are now the demographic that the record companies are starting to notice!
Listen to whatever you want,if you are into current bands,rather than artists who reached their creative peak decades ago and have since tread water,then good for you!
Incidentally,I went to see the English rock band 'The Fall' last week,o.k. they've been going for years,but they are contantly being 're-invented' with the introduction of new blood to their ranks,by 'arch grouch/greatest living Englishman, Mark E. Smith (who, incidentally' broke his leg after the gig :sniffle: ).
Had to mention the band (surely their first mention on 'C. & F.)as they are the most important rock band of the last 25 years I.M.H.O.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

kevin m. wrote: Had to mention the band (surely their first mention on 'C. & F.)as they are the most important rock band of the last 25 years I.M.H.O.
:-? Who?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi,Gary.'The Fall' led by the incomparable Mark E. Smith (M.E.S.),have been together in one form or another since 1977.
MES has the image of a 'Northern grouchy git' (for want of a better label-maybe thats why I indentify with him! :lol: ) and has often sacked,and sometime fought!, band members,roughly 40 musicians have been through the bands ranks since their inception(famous quote-"I don't care if it's me and your granny on spoons-it's still 'The Fall'").
Though he is disdainful of the music biz,MES was awarded the New Musical Express 'Godlike Genius Award' several years ago.
John Peel,the BBC D.J. has said "The Fall have given me more pleasure,over a longer period of time,than any other band...they're just The Fall-a band by which in our house all others are judged."
Check out the official website for further info:
www.visi.com/fall/
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

:) Thanks Kevin, I'm downloading the videos off one of the links to check them out.

(I feel obliged, however, to state that I've always believed John Peel to be a complete master of self-abuse... I shall not allow this to prejudice my appreciation of The Fall when the downloads are complete!). :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I'm also all about the band Talk Talk. Their problem was that they were an 80's band. Great music during a dismal decade in music.

Dale
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Very interesting. I have never heard of any of them.

Ron
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Any good whistle tunes on any of those group's CDs?
Wombat

Re: OT: Old guy stereolab fan

Post by Wombat »

DaleWisely wrote:Does anybody else think it's ridiculous that I'm nearly 48 years old and am a fan of Stereolab?
Ridiculous no, curious yes. I thought they were strictly for the over 50s. :wink:
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

DaleWisely wrote:I'm also all about the band Talk Talk. Their problem was that they were an 80's band. Great music during a dismal decade in music.

Dale
I remember the video for 'Lifes what you make it',shot at night with the band playing in a forest,with film footage of various noctural animals-foxes,etc.
We had plenty to be dismal about in the 80's-it really was the Me,Me,Me decade wasn't it? :( -unless you had nowt of course.