College of Wooster

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

College of Wooster

Post by emmline »

Anyone from Ohio, or the midwest? What do you know about C.O.W.?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I can't imagine it matters, but the philosophy
department looks weak. What sort of education
is this individual after? Small colleges
are often not going to have a strong faculty--
with some exceptional places--but this
may not matter so much at the beginning
undergraduate level; at least not till
the junior and senior year. On the other hand if
one is wanting to go to grad school,
the jump up can be very disturbing.
All things being equal, there's something to
be said for going to the place that will give the
best education. The larger schools are less personal,
of course, however faculty are often hungry for
students who actually want to learn something, FWIW.

P.S. My wife is teaching at Southern Illinois
University at Edwardsville, which is a good place
and isnt' impersonal, is cheap and has a
pretty good faculty in many subjects. Best
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I don't know anyone who's gone there but it's a well respected liberal arts college. Not top tier or anything but good enough. Wooster is a small town that's moderate driving distance to a couple of bigger cities. Like most small colleges, it's probably only best in it's specialty majors and average in the rest.

Sorry I don't know more--and I live only an hour from there.
energy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by energy »

I know nothing about them except that their zip code is probably 44691.

:D
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

If that's where Bertie went to school, I'd ask Jeeves. ...or Martin.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-My mother is a Canton native and Wooster grad, and Dad spent two years at Wooster College prior to convincing a skeptical naval recruiter in Cleveland to overlook colorblindness and sign him up for the Pacific war
in 1943. (Pacific war=oxymoron) He returned chastened by war but happy to find Mom still unattached. My family was raised in suburban Detroit with lots of trips to Canton to see relatives.

- I don't know anything of current faculty or school strengths at Wooster. Mom spoke highly of a philosophy (or religion & philosophy) professor there certain to be gone on by now as he was advanced in years in the mid 1940s-Dr.Vergilius Fern.

-The great Canton-Massilon football rivalry is a big deal in the area, even for organized sports-averse dweebs like me. -Something to do with
the aroma of leaves when the thermometer dips low-suddenly football seems like just the thing-caused by an enzyme released by fallen leaves-gridironase.:wink: Football in the Canton-Wooster-Massilon-Akron
orbit is taken as seriously as basketball in Kentucky.

-Mom still keeps & laughs over a disciplinary warning from the college regarding an insufficient weekday chapel attendance record and its negative influence on a young woman's character. Stories abound of she and other escapees slipping past a sleeping house mother to spend
wild nights out in the Babylon of the midwest, Wooster, Ohio, then climbing in a window on return to avoid detection. Scandalous!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Wombat wrote:If that's where Bertie went to school, I'd ask Jeeves. ...or Martin.
Don't Worcestersquire saucialites go to Eton, rather?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

oh my!!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Thanks all. Being an info junkie, I probably know more about it than average at this point. My oldest seems to favor this school above others she's visited.
sturob

Post by sturob »

I know they have a pipe band, or did in the 90s, and they wear McLeod tartan (yellow and black with a red stripe).

I know three people who went there; one of whom went on to a PhD in chemistry, and one who did a PhD in something like German lit. It's a small school, but probably a solid small liberal arts college.

Stuart
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

They still have a pipe band -- saw them play their homecoming halftime show last year. And they have a Scottish Arts Scholarship.

My wife graduated from there in '97, loved the place, and she'd be happy to answer any questions.
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

I live about 25 minutes east of C.O.W. They have a pretty good reputation in the area. There are a few schools near here and Wooster is spoken of highly among them. This is also a nice area and there are a lot of cultural things to do within a 45 minute drive. I didn't attend there, I had a different major in mind. Has she considered Baldwin Wallace? That's a great school, and a degree from there carries a lot of weight. My wife got her second degree from there.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."