Rocky Horror fans

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Rocky Horror fans

Post by Paul »

C'mon, I know you're out there! :) I was watching TV (Television) the other night and it was on. Man, did that bring back memories. I hadn't thought about it in years or listened to any of the songs. Back in high school my friends and I used to go watch it every Friday and Saturday night at the midnight movies. I couldn't believe I still remember a lot of the lines. I used to sit near the front of the theater with all my "props" ... rice, water, melba toast and all that. I would have a big popcorn bucket full of water handy. There is a scene where Frank N Furter throws a glass of water or something into the camera lens. I would take the bucket and slosh all the people in the rows behind us during that scene. :twisted: It was a riot. No one ever got angry about it. It was Rocky Horror, after all. I saw it over a hundred times.

The songs have been playing incessantly in my head ever since it was on. I even broke out my old CD of the soundtrack, and yes, I've tried a few tunes on the low whistle. "Late Night Picture show" sounds O.K.

Any other old Rocky Horror veterans out there? Is it still around? I told my sister I want to take her to a show if it shows up again. She's 11 years younger than me so she missed it.
trisha

Post by trisha »

Not sure about "veteran", but yes, count me in. One of my all time favourite movies (along with The Blues Brothers, but that's another thread).

Sadly it is full of continuity and factual errors, including a reedless saxophone, and close ups which are different from the original takes - different arms and legs raised, shirts rebuttoning themselves, dresses unripping themselves. The dinner scene is a classic, with the same thing being served up to the same person up to three times, and props coming and going.

Hey ho.

Trisha
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

When my hubby and I were dirt poor and dating, we'd go every Friday (and often Saturday as well) to the $2.00 midnight showing of Rocky Horror at the Magic Lantern in Spokane. We still freak our daughter out by quoting from the movie.

We went once after we moved to Monterey back in the '80s, but it wasn't the same. One group kind of ran the whole thing and had it totally choreographed...no spontanaity. Also you weren't allowed to use squirt guns or throw toast...where's the fun in that?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Went to midnight showings only twice, I'm afraid, in '79 and in '81. Have been grossed out by lipstick ever since. Can't wear the stuff. That didn't, however, stop me from suggesting that my kids introduce the "Time Warp" into school dance repertoires. I must say, though never a fanatic, I do allude to Rocky Horror often enough.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Redwolf wrote:We went once after we moved to Monterey back in the '80s, but it wasn't the same. One group kind of ran the whole thing and had it totally choreographed...no spontanaity. Also you weren't allowed to use squirt guns or throw toast...where's the fun in that?

Redwolf
:o No squirtguns? No toast?? Oh the humanity of it all!!!! That stuff is what made it so great. It would have been hard for me to resist.
Em wrote:Went to midnight showings only twice, I'm afraid, in '79 and in '81. Have been grossed out by lipstick ever since. Can't wear the stuff. That didn't, however, stop me from suggesting that my kids introduce the "Time Warp" into school dance repertoires. I must say, though never a fanatic, I do allude to Rocky Horror often enough.
Twice is enough to get permanantly warped. :D :lol: Did your kids take you up on the suggestion? That's hilarious! :)

And Trisha, you're dead-on. It is a total nit-picker's fest. To add to yours, in one part you can see shadows of prop workers hauling Rocky's pink workout bench away and in the same scene there is this wierd electronic beep sound right in the middle of the song. It's even on the CD. :lol:
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I liked shouting obsenities whenever Chuck came on. I don't know--I just like shouting obsenities.

Was Sarandon up for an Oscar for that? :boggle:
missy

Post by missy »

"where's your ^&^$^& neck?"
"what's your favorite color?"
An - tis- i - "Say it! Say it!" - pay - tion

Do I qualify??? :D

And remember - it MUST be a "Cleveland Plain Dealer" on your head!

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

It was a cult movie in Australia and audences behaved just as Paul describes, although I spent most of that time in England and I don't think it was a cult movie there, although I might be wrong.

I've seen it a few times, once in a cinema, the rest on TV, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I couldn't quite see what made it something you would want to see every week though.

In the late 70s the punk band Sham69 made an album that sounds like the sound track to an English reality version of Rocky Horror that nobody ever turned into a movie.

We're goin' down the pub! :lol:
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I own the double disc version....watch it two or three times a year....I would love a version that has ALL the audience responses in close caption (okay, I get tired of hearing a$$ho1e every time Brad speaks, but all the other stuff that gets so lost).

Meatball does a great delivery boy, and delivers his song with a rapid-fire clarity that the lyricist didn't think was possible. What a fun flick!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
TomB

Post by TomB »

I've seen the movie a couple of times, but my wife was a huge fan. In her earlier days she went to many of the midnight peformances.

One of the more memorable parts of our wedding reception is the entire bridal party dancing to the Time Warp. Lots of fun, and many "interesting" looks from my more elderly Aunts and Uncles- though some of them did join in.

All the Best,

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"