math

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

Ridseard wrote: du=-sin(exp(t))exp(t)dt
v=t

So integral[cos(exp(t))dt]= tcos(exp(t)) - integral[texp(t)(-sin(exp(t)))dt
= tcos(exp(t)) + integral[texp(t)sin(exp(t))dt]
Unless I'm badly mistaken this means we're now living in the End Times. I think it also proves the Big Twang theory.

Steve
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I used to like math too... then I got to university Calculus...

Oh my.....

and I have to have four of them.. (and I have been told by a reliable souce that the next (and last) is the hardest undergrad calc course on campus)

That is impressive because I am in electrical engineering, not math.
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

Math... :o I will always admire people like Ridseard (and Ants) who can do it well. I barely made it through Algebra. It was very frustrating. For example, in highschool, my tutor would show me how to factor. I would understand it perfectly for a moment. Then when I tried to do it on my own I would be completely unable. Even if it was like 2 minutes after it was shown to me. I would probably be in the same camp as Emmline.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Well...there's math competence, ie, the ability to compute change, figure tips, solve basic geometric/algebraic type problems...as pass as much hs/college math as is necessary. I'm there. Then there's math fluency, which is, I believe, a comfort level with numbers and formulae similar to the comfort level I have with words and language. I do math by translating it into visual images...this often involves writing things down so I don't drop them from my head, then computing, then re-translating into numerals...a lengthy clunky process. Good mathematicians can think in numbers.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

SteveK you're just string..ing (theory) us along again aren't you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think parts will works because it gets nasty. Taking u=cos(exp(t)) and dv=dt,

du=-sin(exp(t))exp(t)dt
v=t

So integral[cos(exp(t))dt]= tcos(exp(t)) - integral[texp(t)(-sin(exp(t)))dt
= tcos(exp(t)) + integral[texp(t)sin(exp(t))dt]

Ridseard the above doesn't work in Tune-O-Matic on the Concertina website :D

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.