V.P. Nominee Pool

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

V.P. Nominee Pool

Post by Dale »

In the next newsletter, I'll profile and heap lavish praise of the political acumen of the first person who posts on this thread the name of the person who ultimately gets the running mate slot for the democratic candidate. Let me now apologize for the previous sentence. You may make only one entry. But, I'm going to trump you all with my next post, which WILL be the next Vice President of the United States.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Mr. David Gest
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I have no idea who'll actually get the nod, but here's my suggestion:

Chiff and Fipple's own Tom Dowling.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

I'm guessing John Edwards, to balance Kerry's "New England elite" aspect. Unless the two start really fighting over the next couple debates. Gotta get those Southern states.

If I win, do the profile and heap lavish praise on someone else, though. Maybe keep embarassing the much-praised cskinner with said praise; she deserves it!
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've said it before, and I still think that if Kerry is the nominee, Gephardt will be his choice for V.P.

Lots of union support, and it makes states like West Virginia, Ohio, and Michigan (and Missouri!) MUCH harder for Bush to carry.

P.S. I want no praise.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Tom Dowling is energetic, logical, principled, and compassionate, and I'd be shocked to learn he had presidential ambitions; therefore, he is ineligible for the office of Vice President. (Although as VP, he should have even more time to practice whistle/flute). :)

That said, it looks like Edwards.

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Jack

Post by Jack »

What would Edwards do?

Sure, he's from the South, but he's from the wrong part. The Carolinas are not going to vote Democratic in a general election, no matter who it is.

The best Edwards could do is help bring over a couple moderate southern states like Louisianna, and Arkansas, but as far as I'm concerned, Gephardt would be better able to pick up states with more electoral votes which have a lot of labour unions like Ohio, Pennyslvania, and Michigan, all of which Bush is competetive in.

The only other choice which *might* do Kerry better is somebody from Florida who isn't Janet Reno.

Edwards looks good on paper, but in reality, I don't think so.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

How about two for one. :D
Jack

Post by Jack »

Wasn't she arrested for beating him?
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Cranberry wrote:The best Edwards could do is help bring over a couple moderate southern states like Louisianna, and Arkansas,

<snip>

Edwards looks good on paper, but in reality, I don't think so.
Perhaps he looks good and maybe sounds good on radio and tv, but he looks terrible when you examine the paper carefully (look at his voting record, that is).

His campaign is run center, vote extreme left.

There is no way an informed moderate or conservative could be attracted to Edwards.

Medical costs would skyrocket if he gets nominated and elected president.

VP might be a good position for him as ithat job is considered to be worth a bucket of warm spit.
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

Gephardt, no matter who the presidential nominee is.

Edwards has hinted that he is not interested in the #2 spot, and Gephardt is widely known and respected. He can appeal to southerners, and his work for union voters will help his ticket in important places like Michigan. I simply can't think of a better asset to a Democratic ticket.

I'm still pulling for Dale, though. :D
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Can anyone think of a southern or southwestern democratic governor, current or at least recent, with any name recognition, preferably positive? (Ann Richards and Bill Clinton are the only ones I can think of.) I just don't think a ticket with two congressmen will fly. Last time was JFK and LBJ, which is, not coincidentally, the last time a sitting congressman was elected. If the nominee is Dean, I agree that someone like Gephardt or Edwards would seem good, except for the, uhmm, animosity shown by Gephardt and Dean toward each other during the debates.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

(double post.)
Last edited by chas on Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

My enthusiasm for Wesley Clark having cooled considerably (I can't help thinking of the last two ex-generals who held the top job), I was thinking Edwards for VP, just because I think Kerry will need someone with a southern 'hook' to balance the ticket. I have to say, though, that Cranberry's and Antstastegood's arguments resonate rather well for me. Missouri is close enough to southern that Jeff Foxworthy would fit in there just fine and Gephart's probably the strongest union draw of any party.

Don't think it doesn't matter. People die. I truly believe Dan Quayle's and Cheney's strongest point as a running mate is that their place in the order of succession provided a certain amount of additional security for Daddy and Dubya. A potential assassin, assuming that he was at all rational, would have to take a look at the successor and at least think it through a little farther.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

IMHO if Edwards will take it, he will probably be the VP nominee. Gephart would be a good a choice but they may look at how he's faired in the primary/caucuses and offer it to Edwards.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West