my cat is SO weird. Your pets?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

my cat is SO weird. Your pets?

Post by Nanohedron »

Okay, I counted only five OT posts, and decided to help remedy the dearth of them. Here's my cat's latest weirdness (and there are many):

I was opening a can of asparagus, and of course the can-and-opener ritual had her quick as a flash to my side, making "I'm curious" noises and demanding the right of first refusal. Per usual, I let her sniff the removed lid (NO, it DIDN"T have sharp edges. I use one of those openers that lift the lid off, not cut it. I happen to somewhat savvy, thank you. Now leave me alone, Cranberry. :P ), and she inspected it just to make sure. Then she started licking the juice from the lid! So I got a little dish, put a couple of spoonfuls of asparagus water -or whatever you call it- in the dish, gave it to her, and she finished it all up without delay, and then went to take another nap. She'll probably want more next time.

*sigh* My cat. An asparagus eater, go figure.

Any other pet anomalies out there?
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

My family has a cat that hates pork and beef, but loves chili cheese fries for some reason (we've only let her eat a little bit twice though, I rather doubt they're any better for cats than they are for humans, after all...)
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

We used to have a cat that was passionately fond of honeydew melon.

He had no interest in watermelon, and would eat cantelope if offered, but the smell of a honeydew melon being cut open would fetch him from anywhere in the house. He'd then rub up against your legs, purring and meowing, until you gave him his share.

We had another cat that was mad about my grandmother's chocolate sour cream cake. We wouldn't let him have much (I know chocolate can be bad for cats - and he'd have eaten the whole thing if we'd have let him), but he would go crazy over the small pieces we'd give him.

Both these cats were Siamese, btw. And no, cat #2 was a seal point, not a chocolate point. :lol:
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Nano, you're eating canned asparagus and you think your CAT is weird?!?!? :boggle:

Susan
who never eats asparagus in any form whatsoever
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

My cat, which I unfortunately cannot see on a regular basis anymore due to the whole college thing, used to wake me up at just about 9:30 on vacation days. She also would send me to bed around 11:30 pm, by attacking my foot, then running into my room, and meowing for me to follow.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Aspargus makes my pee smell. I wonder if it has the same affect on cats :D

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

We couldn't find our cat the other morning, we knew she was inside though. After awhile my wife bid me to come look inside one of the bathroom sinks...this cat loves this sink and comes running for a drink anytime it hears the facet turn on. It was all curled up, asleep! She tears the TP off the spindle too and bats it all around. Funny thing..when she was a little tiny kitten, we found her in the bowl where the cats eat, all curled up alseep...same thing!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I have a cockatiel bird that's a bit on the peculiar side.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

DCrom, I had a cat that went bonkers over melons, too! First time I noticed was when he got into the garbage somehow and nabbed a canteloupe rind. He was just a little kitten, and had it in his jaws with the points curving way up past his head, and was making growling noises as he paraded into the dining room. I nearly died laughing. Later on, he'd yell at me whenever I'd cut up melons. He always got the juice; really went for that stuff.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

susnfx wrote:Nano, you're eating canned asparagus and you think your CAT is weird?!?!? :boggle:

Susan
who never eats asparagus in any form whatsoever
Yes, I am a barbaric savage. I demand the freshest asparagus when dining out, oh, yes; but at home? The real me can be its boorish self. :P
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

We have a bird that will not allow anything other than his cage to sit on the "cage table." If anyone sits an object on the table (even some pretty heavy ones) he will push, pull, bite, and otherwise annoy the object until it saves itself by jumping off the edge of the table. This has happened to many a whistle.

:party:
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

I think all animals have their own personality quirks. We had a dog once who loved spaghetti...just lapped it right up. She knew the word "spaghetti" and she would come running whenever my Mom would cut up the spaghetti on her plate after dinner. She just knew that sound meant it was time for HER to get some spaghetti.

Our current dog...well, no real weird food issues (though she does love cookies!)...but she loves snow. Majorly loves it. We have feet of snow back home (maybe 4+ on the ground right now) and she'll run up a hill of snow that's been dumped by a snow plow (she now knows the command "up the hill") and will dive into the fresh snow on the other side. The problem? Well, she only weighs 18 lbs and is about knee high. So she sinks. And gets stuck. And we have to get into the snow ourselves and pluck her out. Moments later, she's back in the snow bank. It makes walking her in the winter quite interesting!

~Crysania

P.S. That's my baby there in the avatar. :-)
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: OT: my cat is SO weird. Your pets?

Post by Redwolf »

Nanohedron wrote:Okay, I counted only five OT posts, and decided to help remedy the dearth of them. Here's my cat's latest weirdness (and there are many):

I was opening a can of asparagus, and of course the can-and-opener ritual had her quick as a flash to my side, making "I'm curious" noises and demanding the right of first refusal. Per usual, I let her sniff the removed lid (NO, it DIDN"T have sharp edges. I use one of those openers that lift the lid off, not cut it. I happen to somewhat savvy, thank you. Now leave me alone, Cranberry. :P ), and she inspected it just to make sure. Then she started licking the juice from the lid! So I got a little dish, put a couple of spoonfuls of asparagus water -or whatever you call it- in the dish, gave it to her, and she finished it all up without delay, and then went to take another nap. She'll probably want more next time.

*sigh* My cat. An asparagus eater, go figure.

Any other pet anomalies out there?
My old cat, Khani, used to love mashed potatoes. You couldn't leave them unattended on the table or counter, or she'd be at them. Our newer cat, Jonah, won't have anything to do with people food of any sort...but he is convinced that, if he doesn't get his food by 4:00 each afternoon, he will waste away and die.

My dog, Cedar, loves raw broccoli (he used to sit next to me and drool while I was cutting up veggies for stir fry). He also goes crazy for vegetarian sausages (the Morningstar Farms ones), which is funny, 'cause I don't remember him being this crazy for "real" sausages back in the day.

And no, neither of my pets is fed a vegetarian diet. Only the humans in the family are herbivores :D

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
emmline

Post by emmline »

I have a video of my old cat Jack, standing in a high chair eating black-eyed peas.
Lark

Post by Lark »

We used to have a outdoor cat that was the colour of grey stone, so could hide very well. :) If he liked you, he would hide, then when you came close unsuspecting, he would rush out of the bushes, leap in to the air as high as he could, and twisting would kick your leg with both of his hind legs. Being only a small cat, this would send him shooting back in to the bushes, where he would wait for the next person. :D If he didn’t like you, he would do the same thing, only his leap would end with him grabbing your leg and digging in with his claws so he could hold on, and would simply begin to chew. :devil: He his favourite target for this seemed to be the neighbour girl, as she was fond of skirts. :boggle:
Lark Wood Works: Fine wood crafts
http://www.larkwoodworks.com/