Boo on CBS

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How do you feel about the Superbowl halftime entertainment?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:52 pm

I am offended, Janet and Justin should be sued for indecent exposure and public lewdness.
19%
Don't be a prude. In fact, men should tear off womens clothing in public more often!
6%
Don't be a prude. In fact, women should tear off their own clothing in public more often!
15%
Children should be exposed to more of this. Let's add it to the curriculum!
4%
Nursing a baby is a beautiful thing.
2%
Hey, I take my thrills where I can get them!
4%
Aw shoot, I missed the whole thing!
15%
There was a Superbowl?
21%
Does anybody have the lyrics to "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?"
No votes
Oh, the humanity!
15%

Total votes: 53

Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

Azalin wrote: a breast on TV is worse than thousands of deaths of innocent iraqis.
Who in here is saying that?
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Azalin wrote:I just don't get why would a breast, which is a body part that nature (or God for the faithfuls) gave women creates so much turmoil. The american culture, sorry if I offense some people, is so hypocrite sometimes. You guys show violence and blood at any time of the day, you guys make video games (which kids will play) that are just about killing anything, and yet, a breast on TV is worse than thousands of deaths of innocent iraqis.
Azalin, sometimes you paint with too wide a brush.

So, let's see. Because some folks like violence on TV or play violent video games (apparently coded only in America), those of us that don't want nudity broadcast on public airwaves are hypocrites. That does not follow. All Canadians are so illogical.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Hey, speaking of Canadians, here's an interesting website. Turns out a Canadian invented TV. And the telephone. (not the breast, though I understand that they have invented several of the other names for them.) http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa090100a.htm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I have to admit that, although socially a liberal, maybe my Calvinist roots inform my views, here. I didn't see the incident -practicing, you see- but the idea of it seems egregiously out of place for the venue. How my decrying such an adolescent stunt as this makes me a hypocrite, I'm not sure. To me, it's all a matter of proper time and place. A strip club is one thing; I don't object to that. I definitely don't think that a theater-of-titillation (if you will) approach to the human form at such widely broadcast times is the sort of thing we can hope to depend on for engendering healthy attitudes toward sexuality in our children. Breastfeeding, nude beaches, art and love? No qualms here.

I don't like that kind of thing when it's thrown at me and called US "culture", sorry. I don't like TV violence, either. Sorry for that, too. Heck, I hate objectification and violence, period. I'm such a shmuck. :roll:
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

My family and some friends were here to watch the ball game. (Which I have always hated with a passion- football-arrrrghhhhhh!) I was playing with my grandaughter. Somehow everyone missed the grand finale. Probably because we were running our mouths about the crotch holding and then the Timberlake/Jackson humping prior to the "show". They reminded us of pet dogs with their favorite pillow or the visitor's leg. :lol:
(Activity, by the way, that is rarely observed in actual stud dogs who know what they are doing)

Since the incident I think everyone in the country has seen this. It's been on every news show. So as they talk about how awful this was- THEY are showing it again and again. All the while calling for CBS's head on a plate!

There is no doubt that it was NOT an accident. No woman who has just lost her top immediately reacts by her hands going to her STOMACH- not to try to cover up?

I also heard on a talk radio call in show, that a preview of half-time antics that was advertized after the first quarter showed the offending boob for a second during the ad. This person said anyone who had taped the game could rewind and they would see it. Therefore there was no way this was un-planned.

Yeah, there are those who say "it's a boob, what's the big deal?"
In the ideal society it would not be a big deal.
We are far from the ideal society. In fact it was the context of this made it a very big deal.

It is so wrong. But sadly it's only a reflection of ourselves. Adults and children alike are saturated with sex at every turn by the media. Is it any wonder that someone in authority thought this was a great idea? I grew up as one of those farm kids mentioned earlier and believe me we learn the birds and the bees as a matter of fact. There's no big mystery when life is visible on a regular basis among the livestock.From birth to death and everything in between. I'm not a prude but thishalf time "show" was not entertainment by any stretch of the imagination.

Face it - we just keep getting worse and worse, baser and baser.
This is just too wrong and sad. What a commentary on America. Stuff like this makes one want to just throw up the hands and say we're all going to hell in a handbasket.

OK now this is depressing - time to whistle.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Ridseard wrote:
It was a great game, even though we lost. :(

What are you talking about? We won!

:D

Robin
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

ErikT wrote:All Canadians are so illogical.
I agree with you, that's a good thing I'm quebecois and not canadian ;-)
mjacob

Post by mjacob »

What offends me most is that I missed it...hope they replay it for everybody else.
I'm just too liberal to have any sympathy here for all those people soo offended at the sight of a part of human anatomy...boo hoo. Is there something that makes the sight of nudity wrong? Cause' I don't think there is anything wrong in nudity- you were born naked, right? Not fully clothed? Lets be honest. --I should rephrase this just a little- there is nothing wrong in Janet getting naked- I don't want to extend that to anybody else, just janet. :)

The real obcenity is the attitude that we should be ashamed of our bodies. Its the attitude of a masochist, and it doesn't make any sense to me.
Now, there are rules in our society, that we have to follow- so maybe they went too far, particularly if you consider the demographic watching-(puritans, virgins and unics) that cannot handle the sight of a boob. :lol: heheh, I crack myself up.

No, I'm sympathetic to viewers w/ kids watching, can't really blame you there.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

You know it's kind of amazing how much sex gets
thrown at us. Advertising, newspapers, movies, MTV...
the way people dress. I've lived in places where
this wasn't going on much at all, and where the
ideal of women's attire was feminine grace
and dignity. It was immensely restful, in fact,
because one could walk down the street
without constantly fighting a rush
of desire. But, on the other hand, people were so
sexually repressed they were going bats.

I don't think there's a happy medium.
The nature of the beast.
Caj

Post by Caj »

DCrom wrote: Don't know why it surprises anyone that she did this - the one talent she unarguably does possess is self-publicity. Didn't she pose in Playboy the last time her career needed a bit of a boost? :roll:
You're thinking of LaToya Jackson, not Janet. Janet Jackson might be the most normal and well-adjusted of the Jackson family. She's probably the least likely to be involved in anything tabloidy.

Nor does Janet Jackson need a publicity stunt to further her career, that's for sure. She's had a platinum album every 3 years since 1986, and could probably start her own country just with her royalty checks. Consider that "Rhythm Nation," the first song she sang at halftime, was released about 15 years ago.

Caj
Caj

Post by Caj »

cowtime wrote: I also heard on a talk radio call in show, that a preview of half-time antics that was advertized after the first quarter showed the offending boob for a second during the ad. This person said anyone who had taped the game could rewind and they would see it. Therefore there was no way this was un-planned.
That's hard to believe: the show was broadcast live, as is the entire Superbowl.

Caj
mjacob

Post by mjacob »

There is the question of what effect a boob on tv or a bloody video game or violent music etc. has on people, especially young adults.

Personally, I dont believe that violent video games makes one more violent, or that marilyn manson can inspire a kid to go shoot someone without the spark being there in the first place, and the willingness to commit the act being there in the first place.

How much violence is in the bible? How much sex? Why is no one complaining about that?
Why do we feel the need to shield ourselves from reality? This is not healthy.
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

Something completely psuedo topic but far more interesting to me: Teddy Bear Picnic

Aventuria said:
http://www.rit.edu/~eeg6662/tunes/teddybearspicnic.mp3

One of the trademark tunes of the old kid's group "Rosenshontz"... If this is the A&B parts you are talking about, the B starts on second octave D and goes dede dBCdB, with C played as a natural.
I listened to the sound clip, is that really the entire song?
Jack

Post by Jack »

I understand what you're saying now, Robin. At first I thought you were just objecting to the actual boob, not the way it was exposed or the way her clothes were ripped off, (which I would object to, too, if I thought she hadn't planned it - and if it wasn't planned I'd be pressing assault charges).

Like cowtime said, if she hadn't meant for it to happen, she would have covered herself right away, not just stood there and let everybody see.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Caj wrote:
cowtime wrote: I also heard on a talk radio call in show, that a preview of half-time antics that was advertized after the first quarter showed the offending boob for a second during the ad. This person said anyone who had taped the game could rewind and they would see it. Therefore there was no way this was un-planned.
That's hard to believe: the show was broadcast live, as is the entire Superbowl.

Caj
The point was that this exposure WAS planned and rehersed - hence the adverstiment was taped at a rehersal and broadcast before the half-time show, and I do mean show. :o
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West