Boo on CBS

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How do you feel about the Superbowl halftime entertainment?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:52 pm

I am offended, Janet and Justin should be sued for indecent exposure and public lewdness.
19%
Don't be a prude. In fact, men should tear off womens clothing in public more often!
6%
Don't be a prude. In fact, women should tear off their own clothing in public more often!
15%
Children should be exposed to more of this. Let's add it to the curriculum!
4%
Nursing a baby is a beautiful thing.
2%
Hey, I take my thrills where I can get them!
4%
Aw shoot, I missed the whole thing!
15%
There was a Superbowl?
21%
Does anybody have the lyrics to "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?"
No votes
Oh, the humanity!
15%

Total votes: 53

mcfeeley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mcfeeley »

Huh?! What's all this talk about the Superbowl? Did I miss it?

Ah well, wonder who won.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
-- Dan M.

There beside the weed and thistle, a man, a dog, and his tin whistle.
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Walden wrote:The umpteen other wrongs doesn't make this publicity-stunt of a peep show something right.
No it doesn't. That wasn't my point. I guess my point is that there are a lot worse things for kids to see or experience than a breast, but the breast is what everyone is going to go crazy on. The ensuing uproar was the purpose of the stunt. Ms. Jackson's career may be flagging, but she's no dummy.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Jack

Post by Jack »

I agree with Jim. If a 2 year old or a 10 year old or a 20 year old sees Janet Jackson's boob on live TV, it's not a tenth as bad as the bloody, gruesome, violent video games they play or the shows they watch every day. Kids know what boobs are. If you think they don't just ask them where the milk they drink comes from.
Childers

Post by Childers »

I missed it
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:I can't find any way to complain to MTV, apparently they don't like feedback. CBS and the FCC have been contacted, however.

Robin
Contact their parent company Viacom
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

FWIW, I agree with Jim. It's a boob. Who cares? If I had kids, I'd be more worried about them seeing the beer commercials and fights on the field than a boob. I mean, it's not like most infants don't stare at them every time they get their lunch...
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
janice

Post by janice »

Far more disgusting, IMO, was CBS's refusal to allow Moveon.org to buy television ad time during the Superbowl. They claim it is their company policy not to sell ad time to "special interest groups," however, they sold ad time to Phillip Morris for an "anti-smoking" ad that was no such thing (it directed consumers to their own web site which promotes it).

Disgusting. Disgusting. Disgusting.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Janet Jackson's stunt was, in itself, bad enough. One point, however, is that it takes away focus from how bad the rest of the halftime show was. Whatsisname with his head poking through a torn American Flag :evil:, the overall musical (?) choice, the theme - whatever it was supposed to be... The show was obviously made to appeal to MTVs fan base which IMO is a relatively small albeit outspoken portion of the American population. I'll bet that most Americans would agree that the whole thing was an insult to good taste. My 2¢.

All the best,
Paul
U2

Post by U2 »

Am I to understand some of you watched a super bowl half-time show expecting it to be good? Heh heh

And...were there fights on the field? I think that's as much of a wind up as boob fear.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I watched the last 3 minutes of the game. It was all that was necessary. I will be contacting CBS on their generally poor programming decisiions. The whole thing including video games etc. has gotten out of hand. Largely because parents do not teach correct principles. People can not blame their childrens problems on the TV, Movie, or Game producers. It is the parents who permit them to view or play these things. How much nicer if they learned to play the whistle or some other musical instrument. It doesn't take any more effort to learn a musical instrument than to learn to play some of these games.

Gets down off of soap box and returns to monitor mode.

Ron
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Cranberry wrote:I agree with Jim. If a 2 year old or a 10 year old or a 20 year old sees Janet Jackson's boob on live TV, it's not a tenth as bad as the bloody, gruesome, violent video games they play or the shows they watch every day. Kids know what boobs are. If you think they don't just ask them where the milk they drink comes from.
Well, my kids don't play video games or watch commercial TV. Watching the superbowl was supposed to be a treat. Admittedly I was concerned about the commercials, but since she doesn't usually get exposed to that and has been well coached by me on what they are trying to convey, I figured that situation was under control. Nudity, and especially men ripping women's clothing off of their bodies, was not supposed to be part of the deal, however.
Paul wrote:Janet Jackson's stunt was, in itself, bad enough. One point, however, is that it takes away focus from how bad the rest of the halftime show was. Whatsisname with his head poking through a torn American Flag :evil:

All the best,
Paul
I have to admit I didn't see that part. We got home and tuned in just in time for the Janet Jackson episode. I would have been offended by that part, too.

Robin
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Thanks Avanutria; I got that part. The part that is giving me the trouble is the part that starts out:"Picinic time for teddybears,the little teddybears are having a lovely time today.
See them la la la la " It seems to drop down to F# . It may be that I am remembering the song wrong but I don`t think so. Thanks for the clip though, at least I got that all right so far.
Glad you mentioned that Moveon.org thing janice. Very good add and one that should have been seen by all. But I`m afraid the slippery slope we are headed down relies on egnorance and fear and the networks owe to much to the Bush administration to alowe truth to get in the way of profit.

Tom
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Well, I've always figured, if I wanted to see something nice, I shouldn't watch a ball game. I had my fill of ball games in high school and college...if I never see another one, it'll be way too soon.

Fact is, I knew there was a good reason I rarely ever watch TV anymore.

Thanks to you all for reminding me so eloquently of what it is.

--James
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

My god, American TV showing a female breast - what's the world coming to... Quick, cut back to clips of people shooting each other, before anyone becomes emotionally damaged.

:lol:
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Oh, stop beating up on Janet . . . she was just employing a war tactic to distract the invading British army . . .

Oh, sorry, I was thinking of Scotsmen and kilts.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon