Boo on CBS

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How do you feel about the Superbowl halftime entertainment?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:52 pm

I am offended, Janet and Justin should be sued for indecent exposure and public lewdness.
19%
Don't be a prude. In fact, men should tear off womens clothing in public more often!
6%
Don't be a prude. In fact, women should tear off their own clothing in public more often!
15%
Children should be exposed to more of this. Let's add it to the curriculum!
4%
Nursing a baby is a beautiful thing.
2%
Hey, I take my thrills where I can get them!
4%
Aw shoot, I missed the whole thing!
15%
There was a Superbowl?
21%
Does anybody have the lyrics to "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?"
No votes
Oh, the humanity!
15%

Total votes: 53

Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

I think Justin Timberlake would have felt a right tit if it hadn't been Janet Jackson's boob.

Isn't JJ old enough to be JT's mother?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Gasp!! The 'T' word!! :o

*points at Martin like Rod Steiger in 'Mars Attacks'*
Martin Milner wrote:I think Justin Timberlake would have felt a right tit if it hadn't been Janet Jackson's boob.

Isn't JJ old enough to be JT's mother?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
U2

Post by U2 »

rebl_rn wrote:The full verse is:. . .I''m just a singer of simple songs/I'm not a real political man/I watch CNN but I'm not sure I could tell you/the difference in Iraq and Iran/But I know Jesus and I talk to God/And I remember this from when I was young/ Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us/And the greatest is love". Beth
Beth - Nit picky is okay. I don't know the difference between Alan Jackson and Toby Keith. :) But then again, the post was intended to be humor. Upon seeing the lyrics in print they sound worse than I initially recongnized. Jesus, God, faith, scripture, CNN, preemptive denial that the lyrics are political, and blissful ignorance of simple geographical facts regarding two countries in which the US government has covertly and overtly operated, imposed US influence - continues to state are strategically essential to our own "stability" and there was that little matter of a coup and the Shah, and the hostages, and the Kurds, and the CIA abandonment of a group we'd armed and then left for the sake of plausible deniabliity for the office of the president. Whew! That's got to be a run-on sentence. Just seemed a little weird that old Alan, is it?, missed all that. :D But I do recognize it's all about his money and marketing and timing. That's pretty much what happened at the super bowl half-time as well.
Caj

Post by Caj »

cowtime wrote:
Caj wrote:
cowtime wrote: I also heard on a talk radio call in show, that a preview of half-time antics that was advertized after the first quarter showed the offending boob for a second during the ad. This person said anyone who had taped the game could rewind and they would see it. Therefore there was no way this was un-planned.
That's hard to believe: the show was broadcast live, as is the entire Superbowl.
The point was that this exposure WAS planned and rehersed - hence the adverstiment was taped at a rehersal and broadcast before the half-time show, and I do mean show. :o
I still find it hard to believe the flash occurred in a preview of the show---especially if our evidence is some caller on a talk radio show.

I watched the Superbowl beginning to end and so did many other people. I didn't see that, and if it was there I suspect it would be all over the media---after all, they were all in a frenzy over confirming this thing was planned, and a preview would have proven that, if it really was there.

Caj
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hey, Firefly: love your avatar!
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Welcome to my new web site, Spliff and Nipple!

You bunch of jugheads!
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
glauber

Post by glauber »

What an udder waste of bytes!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

If that picture was actually of JJ's right ta-ta, the sartorial setup was definitely intended for display. No question. J'accuse!
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

Michael Jackson has released a statement:

I support my sister Janet 100% - I am no longer the most overexposed Jackson boob on television.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I think we need more sympathy for poor Janet.

She obviously suffers from a morbid fear of babies, and she's taken measures to ensure that if one of the little rascals is near he can't latch on and attempt to nurse. Or maybe it's a morbid fear of Justin Timberlake attempting the same thing. :D :D :D
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Nanohedron wrote:Hey, Firefly: love your avatar!
Wheee! Thank you! :P
french

Post by french »

"Slutty-past-their-prime-pop-divas-and-the-hormone-crazed-wannabe-teenie-bopper-idols-that-grab-their-boobies"

i tried this to the tune of supercalifragialisticexpialidocious, but it didn't work.

talked about the janet-justin issue at lunch with my european colleagues - and all i got was a bunch of, "yeah sure, they show people getting bombed and their head blown off on tv every night and the americans get riled up about a breast."

- tom
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

french wrote:"

talked about the janet-justin issue at lunch with my european colleagues - and all i got was a bunch of, "yeah sure, they show people getting bombed and their head blown off on tv every night and the americans get riled up about a breast."

- tom
I am an American but don't watch much TV so maybe I am missing something here. What are these shows that show people getting bombed and their heads blown off every night?

Every time I walk by the TV that annoying Paige from Trading Spaces seems to be on. Lately my kids have been watching old Full House reruns even though I've warned them their IQ drops precipitously with each viewing.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I tried to make the point earlier in this thread that the sexual themes have replaced the blood and gore on tv (except movie re-runs), but people are always behind the times in their prejudices. It's old news... let the Euros jeer in their ignorance.

The most frustrating thing to me is this predictable cycle: cynical hipsters from MTV who want everything to be degraded to their sex and drug lifestyle purposely pull this stunt, then roll their eyes at the reaction. It validates their "alienation" from mainstream society while simultaneously feeding the capitalist beast of entertainment spectacle. It's a Howard Stern world, if they get their way (which deep down, they probably don't really want, because they are "naughty boys and girls" and revel in the distinction). BTW, these are the same people who wish we were more "like the Europeans" in terms of "attitudes about sex." I have been hearing that canard since the late 60s.

This will continue seemingly forever unless we have government control, which under our system, will be fought from both sides of the political spectrum. Square folk also have the capacity to use consumer power and do on occasion.

Savage made the point the other day that there is no seeming bottom in the fall to depravity and moralists must endure the scorn to insist on some standards. In a religion-free humanist society, there IS no concept of depraved, only provable criminal behavior, and with enough psychiatric/psychological temporizing, that behavior is limited.

Though its obviously singular, the recent case in Germany of the homosexual cannibal, who got an eight-year sentence for dismembering and consuming the better part of a willing participant, sets a new low in secular depravity. In the first place, the guy runs the ad, which is allowed to begin with, somewhere. In the depraved society there are plenty of outlets for this kind of expression, without moralists to object, ban or otherwise oppress.

As an example, I wanted to buy a wallet for my kid's birthday gift. I key in Bay Area leather accessories. Most of the hits were S&M related...sheesh.

I am not singling out Germany, as you can see from above, although that judge should be a source of world curiosity. Our papers haven't even mentioned the case, oddly enough. More consumed with Laci, Michael and Janet, I guess. Other levels of depravity.

But the activist judge apparently determined that he was not criminally malicious (need help from German chiffsters here) to my understanding.
To me, this is all about empowered psychological and psychiatric views, which replace religious-based judgement in the New Secular Order, and explain away criminality. EIGHT YEARS!!

I hope America stays more square, frankly. Laugh all you want.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?