Mezzo-soprano A whistles? Or G?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Mezzo-soprano A whistles? Or G?

Post by Darwin »

Sorry to stray from politics, science, and religion :P, but I'd like to get opinions on whatever mid-range A (vs. super-low A) whistles members here are familiar with. I think I'm pretty well set in the high D area for now, and I'm thinking about my next aquisition.

I'm mostly interested in something for slow airs, and I think that I may prefer not to go with wood at the moment if it might require more care than metal and plastic, but I'm open to being told that this isn't really a problem.

As a beginner, I'm interested in ease of play and evenness of tone/volume across both octaves.

At the moment, I'm attracted by the Burke Aluminum Pro (#ALA). Does anyone have any comments on this one in particular? (All the Pro models have the Delrin mouthpieces, don't they?)

And, how about that one vs. the composite version (#ALC)?

Are there any that should probably be totally avoided by a beginner?

I've seen a few favorable comments about mezzo-soprano G whistles, too. Would G have any particular advantages over A in terms of either sound or--in case it ever happens--of playing with other instruments?
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I own Mike Burke's AlPro A. It is used daily. No surprises...It is even over 2+ octaves and has the beautiful pure tone for which AlPros are known. I also own a Hoover Whitecap Aluminum A. I use it as often - if not more - than the AlPro. It has a tiny bit more chiff than the AlPro. It is signigicantly less expensive than the Burke. I find that these whistles completely cover my needs in the 'A' category. You will not go wrong with either - or both - of them.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Take both tones! :D
They share a very ergonomic size, sorta natural for whistles and generally flutes, have usually a just-right volume (softer than high C/D, but better carrying than low whistles). It seems like it's the "sweet spot" of whistledom. Same with NA flutes (F#m, Gm, Am...) btw.

A whistles are good for Celtic music generally, play easily in D major and of course A major (parlour pipes...).

G good for many European folk musics, songs and popular melodies, but plays well not only G, C major but also A and D minor. It's also the lowest tone I presonnally can fingertip easily... while A is the highest I can still play piper-gripped. So both leave me the choice.

Silkstone makes a commendable PVC G+A combo, while I'd lust more an A+Bb Water Weasel...

Maybe one of these makers would accept to make the G+A+Bb set?

Why adding the Bb to your dream list? Warpipes (GHP), lots of Breton music, fife tunes... and jazz :D
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

I have a Burke "sewer pipe" (composite) A that I like.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Burke G and A whistles are amazing, but I think I'd lean toward a Water Weasel A over a Burke. The WW has a big, complex tone, although it has huge finger holes that turn some people off.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

I have a Hoover Whitecap aluminum mid range A that is very nice. Very consistant and easy to play across both octaves. Beautiful tone.

The only mid range G I have at the moment is a Susato in wide bore. I really, really don't like the way it sounds.
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

OutOfBreath wrote:I have a Burke "sewer pipe" (composite) A that I like.
How would you characterize the sound--sweet, pure, complex, airy, etc.?
Mike Wright

--Goethe
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

If you have the bucks, the copeland A and G
are worth drooling over. www.copelandwoodwinds.com
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I agree with Zub. that it's worth getting BOTH A and G whistles,if you have the wherewithall. They are quite different in sound 'character' to my ear-as different as say, your standard soprano D and C.
I own A whistles by Susato and John Sindt,and a G by Bernard Overton (Pipemaker Davey Stephenson LOVED this whistle when he delivered my practice set last month!).
I do find that the keys Bb through low F fit very easily under the fingers,and are none schreechy on the old lugholes!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

I have an Overton Mezzo-A that has a nice tone for airs. I prefer the Overton low-f or low-d, but the A does well. It's a little loud (louder than the other two), but still okay.

I had a Shaw that I couldn't recommend because it took too much air. Playing anything like a slow air would end up too choppy and would still make me dizzy.

The Overton A has relatively large finger holes that make it nice for airs, lets you slur or slide some notes as well as cut and tap. Here's a link to a sample file where you can hear one of my attempts with the slurs: <a href=http://w3.mivlmd.cablespeed.com/~leemar ... roFair.mp3> Scarboro Fair - Overton Mezzo A whistle (380k)</a>

Hope this helps you ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

James Peeples posted a clip of himself playing a Serpent A recently. Based on my good experience with my Serpent Low F I'm planning on getting one for myself.

I've had a chance to try an Overton F and it's a lovely whistle, too.

Serpents tend to be a quieter than Overtons, but still have a decent volume. I seem to recall people mentioning the Dixon A as a nice whistle, too, but on the quiet side; since it's the least expensive of the three, it might be a good place to start.

Enough ideas?
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

This is very much a matter of personal taste and budget. My opinions of those I have:

Copeland - the best to my tastes and the most expensive. I second Jim's experience here and the G is among my very favorite whistles, although I don't play it as much as the D, but more than the A. These whistles have a particular pop and resonance that make them IMHO unique. They are beautiful and well-made. They take moderate air. Some say there are issues with inconsistency; I like all eight of mine.

Overton - I had both an A and G and both were terrific. They take less air but harder push and are known for their back pressure. They are about half the cost of Copelands, but may be an acquired taste.

O'Riordan Traveler (anodized aluminum)- currently available only second-hand; maybe about two-thirds the cost (new) of Copeland. They tend to cost more second-hand. I have the G which is so different from the Copeland and every bit as fantastic. Playability and transitions are effortless and the tone is uniquely angelic or velvety. Small tone holes.

Abell blackwood - I have the A; it's very fine and a bit less than the Copeland in cost. It's wood and has some air in the tone and a bit quieter than the others. Lovely tone. He makes them in Delrin as well; I have a soprano D in delrin that I like, but others don't feel it has the richness of tone of the blackwood.

ALba - I have an A/G set; as I recall, somewhat less expensive than Overton. These have a good deal of air in the tone. Lovely tone, but I don't find the sound as focused as the others.

Water Weasel - I have the A and it's probably still best bang for the buck. PVC with fairly large tone holes and a big sound. Probably about one fourth the cost of a Copeland.

Susato - I have the Kildare G; it's plastic, has smallish tone holes and I think costs about as much as the WW. It's a real solid whistle and a good G. I'd take the WW between the two, though.

Sindt - I had the A at one time. I just found the tone not exciting and I like the D and C much better.

Burke - I had an old G in aluminum and found it again unexciting. However, I have several others, including the new black tip soprano D and C, and they are terrific. Burke whistles are models of consistency with pure full sound and easy playability. The new black tips add a stronger bottom end and some real pop with a crisp attack on the tone holes. They are perhaps the most comfortable whistles for me to play for long periods of time. If Michael's newer models in A and G are anything like this, wow.

As you see, very much a matter of taste and budget. Everything above is made by makers who are well-known and respected and have their followings. They are all good to deal with (Susato I have only purchased from retailers, not from the maker).

You want a top notch experience with a special sound, budget be damned, get a Copeland. You want great but different and unique sound at less cost, get Overton. You want something that is reliably spot on, no worries every time, less cost still, get a Burke. You want to try a very solid A or G for the first time without breaking the bank, get a WW.

Hope that helps rather than confuses.

Best,

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Thanks for all the detailed responses. I'll let them simmer for a while, I guess.
Mike Wright

--Goethe
kabili

Post by kabili »

i have a susato A that i got for christmas and haven't played much because i think the finger holes are surprisingly large and ill-spaced for the relatively small size of the whistle. (of course, i'm a woman, with hands proportionate to my 5'3" - 5'4" size. and i'm not real great with piper's grip yet.) however, i also have a susato F which i find much more comfortable, despite it's being a lower, and therefore longer, whistle. go figure!

i'd suggest visiting a store that will let you try some different whistles, if possible. (or ask board members for "loaners"!)
I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance
Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance. ~~Ogden Nash
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

kabili wrote:i have a susato A that i got for christmas and haven't played much because i think the finger holes are surprisingly large and ill-spaced for the relatively small size of the whistle. (of course, i'm a woman, with hands proportionate to my 5'3" - 5'4" size. and i'm not real great with piper's grip yet.) however, i also have a susato F which i find much more comfortable, despite it's being a lower, and therefore longer, whistle. go figure!
I'm not too worried about hole spacing. I'm 6'3", and have about a 9.5" hand span. I don't have much trouble stretching from the 1st fret to the 4th on my guitar, and can get to the 5th fret if I really try. I do have fairly slim fingers, though, so large finger holes may not be a good idea.
Mike Wright

--Goethe