Talking whistle

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Stu H
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Talking whistle

Post by Stu H »

On the subject of TV programmes from our youth, there was one that I have limited but intense memories of. It contained lots of late 1960s surrealism which I found very scary as a 5 year old. It was called HR Pufnstuf and as far as I am aware was never repeated on British TV. It did however involve a boy with a talking whistle/flute which is one of the reasons it sticks in my memory. Did this programme have a longer life in the States? I'd love to hear
johnz

Post by johnz »

I was very young when that was on over here, maybe 3 or 4 yrs. old? . I remember nothing about it but the name, and the fact that I liked watching it. I wouldn't mind seeing it again, from your description it sounds fun.
Take care, johnz
DON'T DRINK SOAP!
KEEP OUT OF EYE!
DILUTE! DILUTE!
OK!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Once Upon a Summer's Day, just a dream from yesterday,
A boy and his magic golden flute heard a boat from on the bay,
"Come and play with me, Jimmy, come and play with me,
And I will take you on a trip, far across the sea."
But the boat belonged to a mean old witch
Who had in mind the flute to snitch.
From her Boom-Broom in the sky, she watched the flute with a [?] eye,
She waved her wand, The beautiful boat was gone,
The something, something something something,
And the boat sailed on and on and on....
But PufnStuff was watching too, and knew exactly what to do,

sorry...my memory blurs at this point...my sibs and I rewrote this ditty back in the seventies, replacing the lyrics with our own twisted version and I tend to remember those words instead.

This absurd show was the creation of Sid and Marty Croft, and featured a big yellow Barney precursor, and a real kid, played by the pug-nosed (but cute, according to my sister,) Jack Wild (who also played the Artful Dodger in the 60's movie version of "Oliver.")
The plot usually involved Witchy-Poo conniving to steal Freddy the Flute, and Puf n Stuff and friends having to save Jimmy once again.

This was a dumb show, but I confess, I watched it. It was on in the US, I think about 1970, when I was in elementary school.
The Croft Bro's followed up this worthy effort with another such show, featuring a town populated with large animated hats, called "Lidsville." (with Charles Nelson Reilly as the villain) I remember less of that theme song, but we tweaked that one too.

Emily
Last edited by emmline on Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norma

Post by Norma »

Now there's a memory from the cobwebs of my brain...found some info at

http://www.krofft.com/shows/pufnstuf/index.html

You may remember Witchypoo and her hunger for the possession of the magic flute...must have been a high-end whistle.
(I hope I did that link right)
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I remember the show very well as my 2 oldest daughters thought it was wonderful, especially the young boy that starred in it. Not only was it on TV but they made a feature length movie out of it. I know this because I remember a long night at a drive-in in Bremerton washington.

For me you have to go back to Howdy Doody, Lucky Pup with Foodini and Pinhead, Kukla, Fran and Ollie, Smiling Ed McConnels Fun House sponsored by Buster Brown. (Hi I'm Buster Brown I live in a shoe this is my dog Tyge look for him in there too.) Lets not forget Space Cadet, Captain Video, Hopalong Cassidy, Pinky Lee, and Soupy Sales.

Ah, these were the good old days.

Ron
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

RonKiley wrote:(Hi I'm Buster Brown I live in a shoe this is my dog Tyge look for him in there too.)Ron
Actually Ron, I believe it goes, "Hi I'm Buster Brown and I live in a shoe. This is my dog Tyge and he lives in here too."

Don't want to get nitpicky but, the Society for Old F**t Trivia (of which I am a charter member) insists on historical correctness.

:)

Best Regards
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
emmline

Post by emmline »

To pick a few more nits:

I think it goes:

Here's Buster Brown, he lives in a shoe,
Here's his dog Tyge, he lives in there too.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy!

"That's my dog Tige, he lives in a shoe!!.
I'm Buster Brown, look for me in there, too!!"

You can hear a recording of this at:
http://michelesworld.net/dmm/frog/gremlin/gremlin.htm
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I do have the vaguest recollection of HR Pufnstuf, mostly just the name though. I was weened on Bill And Ben (The Flowerpot Men). But my all time favourite was of course Captain Pugwash.

I was playing a hornpipe on the whistle the other day and memories of Cap'n Pugwash came flooding back...so much so that I sought out the signature tune... here it be, mateys!

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/children/pugwash/pugwash.htm

And Jumpin' Jellyfish, I do believe these are the dots 'n' scratches:

http://users.argonet.co.uk/users/gatherer/tunes/tab/tab4/trump.html
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I absolutely loved Pufinstuf!!! The whistle ("Freddy") creeped me out, however.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Redwolf wrote:I absolutely loved Pufinstuf!!! The whistle ("Freddy") creeped me out, however.

Redwolf
Kind of a flute version of Mr.Bill, you know? "OOOH NOOOO! Save me Jimmy!"
Notice, also, that no-one ever stuck Freddy in his/her mouth. The little weirdo would've freaked.

(BTW: KEEP THOSE CARDS AND LETTERS COMING!)
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

emmline wrote:This absurd show was the creation of Sid and Marty Croft, and featured a big yellow Barney precursor, and a real kid, played by the pug-nosed (but cute, according to my sister,) Jack Wild (who also played the Artful Dodger in the 60's movie version of "Oliver.")
The plot usually involved Witchy-Poo conniving to steal Freddy the Flute, and Puf n Stuff and friends having to save Jimmy once again.
Ya know, it's times like this I'm glad my parent's wouldn't have a TV in the house until after I was safely in high school... :)
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

OutOfBreath wrote: Ya know, it's times like this I'm glad my parent's wouldn't have a TV in the house until after I was safely in high school... :)
I admire that resolve, but have taken the route of ruining my children's minds by allowing a certain amount of tv/vid games. 3 out of 4 self-regulate pretty well, it's that last one who needs some imposed structure.
Would be interesting to test a group of people like you against a control group of the tv addled, now, several years later, to see if there's a difference in cognitive function.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

emmline wrote: Would be interesting to test a group of people like you against a control group of the tv addled, now, several years later, to see if there's a difference in cognitive function.
I haven't owned a TV now for 3 years, and have so far noticed the following 'effects':

1. My writing has become prolific and my imagination has expanded (and become far more detailed).
2. I have much more time for learning music in the evenings.
3. Old-time radio dramas are the dog's danglies, and seem so much more effective than contemporary offerings.
4. I am completely disenfranchised from 90% of the conversations that take place around me. It's amazing how many start with "Did you see...?"
5. When friends call me up on the 'phone, within the first minute they usually complain that "there's a load of cr*p on telly tonight."
6. If I call friends on the 'phone, I have to watch the clock, or conversation is usually cut short by their announcing "Got to go...*insert program here* is just about to start".

Nothing to do with your cognitive function experiment, Emmline, just a few side-effects I've noticed. Though I suspect No.4 is probably just as applicable to children.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I don't think my imagination could get bigger, or more detailed, or for that matter just plain wierder...

As well, I have no problem with creative writing...

I love listening to PHC with GK

And lastly....

Oh shoot, my program is on...

(j/k)