Forum icons

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Forum icons

Post by benhall.1 »

Now that we have a different look to the Board - which I'm taking an age to get used to - I have noticed the forum icons more than I used to. I think they must be different. I'd like to know what they all mean, and I would think that that would be useful to others as well. Here's what I've got so far:

Red Unread posts (which seems redundant, since there is also a little turned down piece of paper which also shows that there are unread posts)
Grey You've read them all
Flame Popular topic, which currently is set to 15 posts or more
* You've posted in this topic yourself

As well as that, the 'i' symbol appears to mean a global announcement, and as far as I can tell, the light bulb is a sticky ... I think.

I've been looking for a list of icons. Surely phpBB publishes one somewhere, doesn't it? If it does, I can't find one ...

... and in the meantime, if anyone knows any other icons and their meaning, please do tell. :)
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Forum icons

Post by kkrell »

Unread icon w/a small unread icon (ie: Used Instrument Exchange) indicates there is a sub-forum (ie: Sold and Old).

"i" for announcements mimics the "i" used for "Information", a common one on other websites.

There's a little Lock icon to indicate a topic is locked to new posts or edits.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:01 am Unread icon w/a small unread icon (ie: Used Instrument Exchange) indicates there is a sub-forum (ie: Sold and Old).
Thanks. I hadn't spotted that one. :thumbsup:
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

... oh, and I forgot ...

There's an arrow in the circle, which indicates that the topic has been moved. I'm not totally sure whether that's visible to all though. And it could be that it's only visible when a 'shadow' topic is left in place.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:09 am Red Unread posts (which seems redundant, since there is also a little turned down piece of paper which also shows that there are unread posts)
If you click on the red to go to the first unread post in an existing topic then scroll to the posts above it (or click on the red icon within the topic), you'll see a reason for the colour.

Of course, you can almost certainly theme the board to look however you want, although it's always easier/quicker to update a stock board than have to worry about theming too.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

benhall.1 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:51 am ... oh, and I forgot ...

There's an arrow in the circle, which indicates that the topic has been moved. I'm not totally sure whether that's visible to all though. And it could be that it's only visible when a 'shadow' topic is left in place.
I can see the arrow in the circle for a topic in the flute forum, however I’m not certain if the single post I can see in that thread is the original post that has since been moved elsewhere (the shadow post?), or if I am viewing the relocated post.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:48 am
kkrell wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:01 am Unread icon w/a small unread icon (ie: Used Instrument Exchange) indicates there is a sub-forum (ie: Sold and Old).
Thanks. I hadn't spotted that one. :thumbsup:
I had, and it was driving me batty. Thanks, kkrell. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:33 amOf course, you can almost certainly theme the board to look however you want ...
Tell us more. There are a few pet changes I'd like to make, if the Admin team agree. PM would be fine. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:51 amThere's an arrow in the circle, which indicates that the topic has been moved. ... And it could be that it's only visible when a 'shadow' topic is left in place.
That's right. In the past the topic title would automatically read "Moved: Blah blah blah" when leaving a shadow topic. We don't have that now. I don't recall the icon, but it probably had some kind of arrow, too. It still seems to all operate the same way, though.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:14 pm Tell us more. There are a few pet changes I'd like to make, if the Admin team agree.
I've never done it for phpBB, but know how it worked for YaBB SE and SMF, to which I contributed as a team member (not a developer — I wrote documentation). The principles for phpBB look similar:
https://www.phpbb.com/styles/

Theming could be anything from simple recoloured versions of the default theme to complete new layouts where you choose where and how to display however much of the database information you want to show. While that page I've linked says 'a powerful templating-system that keeps the PHP code separate from the HTML code', it's really talking about the serious core PHP code there because some PHP will still be required in the templates that generate the HTML to display the pages. New graphics (e.g. icons etc.) are another very popular and simple theming mod. Of course, the more non-standard your theme, the more you either need to take responsibility for updating it yourself to keep pace with developments to the basic system or hope that your theme author does. But it's also usually possible to keep running an older theme if you're not bothered about keeping pace with new features, at least till the next major version of the software gets released (e.g. I recall themes and mods for SMF 1.x no longer being valid for SMF 2.x). And the way it usually works is to keep the default theme untouched as a backup or selectable alternative with your chosen theme modifying just the templates you need to modify.

Ideally you want to talk to someone with experience of theming the current phpBB, but I'm guessing that 'a few pet changes' sounds closer to the simpler end of the theming spectrum than the 'let's make it all look and behave like something completely different' end?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:14 pm
Peter Duggan wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:33 amOf course, you can almost certainly theme the board to look however you want ...
Tell us more. There are a few pet changes I'd like to make, if the Admin team agree. PM would be fine. :)
I think one could ... my impression, however, is that some of the changes need to be made at server level. We could change the style. However, since, apparently, the old style was one of the things causing issues with the upgrade, I'm a bit reluctant to do so.

I'm still rummaging though ...
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Can we make a few requests here?

I’ll take that as a yes :twisted:

1. It would be nice if we had the “number of times viewed” displayed for topics, that’s one thing that seems to have disappeared with the change.

2. Is everyone comfortable with the fact that ages and birthdays are being displayed? Seems like TMI available from an infosec standpoint.

3. Any chance we can finally revisit direct posting of images? This is practically the only forum I’ve visited in recent years still requiring offsite hosting/linking for images.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

The only thing that I wold like added from the old forum's functions is the Next topic and Previous topic functions.

\David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I can't find how to PM someone. Is there something I've missed?
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Nanohedron wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:39 am I can't find how to PM someone. Is there something I've missed?
The only way I see is to click on the person’s profile, and there’s a PM option in the contact area of the profile.