Upgrade completed, with a sacrifice or 2

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
an seanduine
antispam: No

Re: Upgrade completed, with a sacrifice or 2

Post by an seanduine »

Well, I can confirm, that my issue appears to reflect some peculiarity of one of my systems/browsers. I have two Chromebooks. One is older, and is running ´stock, out of the box, Chrome OS. This one has no issues. The newer one is 2-1 tablet/Chromebook hybrid, which appears to be running a form of Chrome OS/Android.The 2-1 tablet is my go to as it allows me to free-hand draw in Chinese characters.
Ah, well, no worries. The ´Quick Links´ box menu allows me to access the the ´Search´ function.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Sorry if someone has mentioned it (or if it's only me). I'm not getting the column headers on the forum pages. They are there, dark blue, on the board index. Tried three browsers and two different systems. That said, to me, the dark blue is rather strong on the eye so I can manage without them.

Has it always been that the edit box for a new post wraps at the same point as the displayed page and preview? I think before it was different so repeated words across the line ends (apparently it's a common thing, not just me) were more obvious in the preview.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:11 pm Sorry if someone has mentioned it (or if it's only me). I'm not getting the column headers on the forum pages. They are there, dark blue, on the board index. Tried three browsers and two different systems. That said, to me, the dark blue is rather strong on the eye so I can manage without them.
It's not just you, and that's another issue that should be addressed. C&F doesn't have to have a wow factor, but it deserves to be spiffy, not shabby: it reflects our commitment to the members.
david_h wrote:Has it always been that the edit box for a new post wraps at the same point as the displayed page and preview? I think before it was different so repeated words across the line ends (apparently it's a common thing, not just me) were more obvious in the preview.
I'm afraid you'll have to word this more clearly; I have no way of knowing what you mean.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:21 pm
david_h wrote:Has it always been that the edit box for a new post wraps at the same point as the displayed page and preview? I think before it was different so repeated words across the line ends (apparently it's a common thing, not just me) were more obvious in the preview.
I'm afraid you'll have to word this more clearly; I have no way of knowing what you mean.
I get it. The thing is, if you made a post, in the old or new system, you could then click the edit button and edit it. In the old system, the text would wrap so that a different number of words would appear on each line. This meant that repeated word errors, not so obvious in the original post, would show up clearly when you clicked the edit button. If the text wraps to the same line length and number of lines, that doesn't happen.

Having said all of which, I would think that there's probably nothing to be done about it, except ... when I post, my spell-checker/grammar checker flags up repeated words. Is that any use, David?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

... or possibly David just meant that the preview and the original editing box were different ... (which was true also) ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

What I'm having comprehension issues with, primarily, is the word "wrap".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:55 pm What I'm having comprehension issues with, primarily, is the word "wrap".
It's a word which simply means how many words there are on each line (not exactly, because it also depends on their length).
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

If I said 'text alignment' would that help?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:31 pm If I said 'text alignment' would that help?
Err, somewhat. I'm afraid that I may need someone to literally draw me a picture.
david_h

Post by david_h »

benhall.1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:49 pm except ... when I post, my spell-checker/grammar checker flags up repeated words. Is that any use, David?
Most times nowadays I'm posting from something that only has easy access to spell check. Maybe it would be courteous of me to look for an add-on for grammar.

The wrap (or should it be paragraph flow ?) is easily changed be re-sizing the window**. Maybe it was always the way it is.

'Word Wrap', or just 'Wrap', on/off is a fairly common menu item on text editors (can't check now but I think Notepad on Windows calls it one of those). In that context having it 'off 'makes long lines vanish off the right of the window. So maybe I used the wrong word.

** try that Nano
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Line length, (number of letters per line of text), can sometimes be set in writing software, whereby when a line length would have more letters than the allowed length, the last word is moved to a new line. This is known as Word Wrap.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

fatmac wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:13 am Line length, (number of letters per line of text), can sometimes be set in writing software, whereby when a line length would have more letters than the allowed length, the last word is moved to a new line. This is known as Word Wrap.
Same principle as what I said, but you've out it more accurately, fatmac. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I see now. Thanks, people. :)
david_h

Post by david_h »

Crossed with Nano - point no longer relevant
Last edited by david_h on Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Re: the banner ad size which, among other things, is another bit of evidence that size matters, dammit.

There would be another code from Google, I think, that creates smaller rectangle. But in order to substitute it, I have to learn how to edit the proper phpBB file which I've been meaning to do for more than 15 years. I hope to get to it soon.