It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:31 am
Posts: 5560
Location: the Back of Beyond
Quote:
Cool! I'd only heard of it in the context of solar/wind power, but it appears quite widely used.


Not quite wind/solar but look at Turlough Hill power station in Co Wicklow. Quite a spectacular project from the 1960s that uses its own off peak power to pump the water back into the reservoirs on the mountain. There's a great series of six or so videos up on youtube, from an RTE program.

But for the fun of it, and some forum relevant music footage : Turlough Hill 40th anniversary Gala Concert,

_________________
My brain hurts

Image


Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:26 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 13562
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
Nanohedron wrote:
But this is speculation. I'm happy to be proven wrong, because I value knowledge and facts. But if nobody's tried it yet, somebody ought to ask: Okay, then - why not? Omelettes and eggs, and all that.

This.

_________________
"Only connect!"

https://youtu.be/ezbWVysJAOY
https://tapm.bandcamp.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:01 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 36265
Location: Where else?
benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Omelettes and eggs, and all that.
This.

It's a good thing he focused on ingredient quality and not the finished product: Milk or water? Browned or unbrowned? French, or everyone else? - because then the interview would never have ended; it already fast became a drag as it is.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:07 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 13562
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Omelettes and eggs, and all that.
This.

It's a good thing he focused on ingredient quality and not the finished product: Milk or water? Browned or unbrowned? French, or everyone else? - because then the interview would never have ended; it already fast became a drag as it is.

How can you say that was a drag? That was poetry that was; sheer poetry. :D

_________________
"Only connect!"

https://youtu.be/ezbWVysJAOY
https://tapm.bandcamp.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:26 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 36265
Location: Where else?
benhall.1 wrote:
How can you say that was a drag? That was poetry that was; sheer poetry. :D

The dude was glibly talking out of his backside. You could see he knew right away that he'd stepped into a leaky boat, and had to start bailing fast. In my case, boredom won out over Schadenfreude.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:39 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 13562
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
How can you say that was a drag? That was poetry that was; sheer poetry. :D

The dude was glibly talking out of his backside. You could see he knew right away that he'd stepped into a leaky boat, and had to start bailing fast. In my case, boredom won out over Schadenfreude.

He had more some years later ...

:D

_________________
"Only connect!"

https://youtu.be/ezbWVysJAOY
https://tapm.bandcamp.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:51 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 36265
Location: Where else?
benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
How can you say that was a drag? That was poetry that was; sheer poetry. :D

The dude was glibly talking out of his backside. You could see he knew right away that he'd stepped into a leaky boat, and had to start bailing fast. In my case, boredom won out over Schadenfreude.

He had more some years later ...

:D

Hmm. He clearly has a working theory.

I had to look the guy up, because I didn't know anything about him. I'm kind of over "colorful" people right now.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:07 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Cambridge, UK
This is one of my favourite energy storage ideas: https://qz.com/1355672/stacking-concrete-blocks-is-a-surprisingly-efficient-way-to-store-energy/

_________________
Kevin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:38 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 36265
Location: Where else?
KevinNot10 wrote:

Compelling. I think it needs to take stack-destabilizing events like earthquakes into account, though.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.102s | 11 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)