An Anonymous Player who has passed

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
busterbill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

An Anonymous Player who has passed

Post by busterbill »

There is a fellow behind the camera in this video that was a drop in staple of sessions around Chicago for many years. He played whistle, flute, banjo, guitar and fiddle, and moved in and out of the scene as he moved himself around the Midwest.

In his honor I'd like to share this tidbit of a session from our old pub.

https://youtu.be/jj77w3EqcYE
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: An Anonymous Player who has passed

Post by Nanohedron »

You never knew his name, then?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I think I posted this in the Pub because it struck a memory in me. I had just heard of his death and remembered his snippet of a session he posted. The fellow who passed was Peter Fraterdeus. But you won't see either of us in the video since he was behind the camera and I had given my seat to Bob Whelan our occasional autoharp player. I think you can hear me pretty well, as I was sitting behind Peter as he filmed. HaHa.

I said anonymous because he would not be know to any here. Or at least I thought so when I posted the clip. But in retrospect I may be wrong.

While he lived mostly in Galena, IL and more recently in Ashland, WI he often came to sessions in Chicago, and Evanston, IL which was his childhood home. I do believe he dropped in other places like The Cities and Duluth now and again. He was as happy in a folk or old time session as he was in an Irish session. He was a wonderful person and a good soul.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

busterbill wrote:The fellow who passed was Peter Fraterdeus. ... I do believe he dropped in other places like The Cities and Duluth now and again. He was as happy in a folk or old time session as he was in an Irish session.
I found pics of him, and I don't recognize him from the Twin Cities Trad sessions, but that's not saying much; I can't have caught it all. If he's been here, I'm sure that someone knew and remembers him. I remember one particularly big ITM house party where the Old Time contingent had commandeered the kitchen, and I remember a lot of the players in that bunch looked a lot like him - so who knows!

Judging from what I can dredge up about him, his was a very full and creatively productive life.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician